PDA

View Full Version : Office 97 on winXP?

wondering
3rd Sep 2005, 15:56
Hm, maybe this question has been asked before and I am just too lazy to search. Anyhow, here it goes. I run office 97 on a win98 computer. ok no problem there. But what will happen when I buy a new computer with winXP? Can I run office 97 without buying an expensive upgrade? And if not should I look at a free ware office package?

Thanks for your help.

frostbite
3rd Sep 2005, 17:00
Don't know about the whole shebang, but I'm running Word 97 on XP without problems.

Can't imagine why it wouldn't work, aside from usual M$ issues!

Cornish Jack
3rd Sep 2005, 17:13
Office 97 Professional on XP Professional - no probs:ok:

Conan the Librarian
3rd Sep 2005, 18:55
Not only will it run well, but in all probability faster than the latest iteration of Office.

frostbite
3rd Sep 2005, 20:10
Since you're all such nice guys and gals on here, I'll give youse a little tip, if Mr Paperclip sends you round the bend:-

Open the Word folder in Explorer, or whatever you use to look at files.

Highlight the 'Actors' folder and right-click on it. Rename it 'Dead_Actors' and........ no more Mr Paperclip !

Tinstaafl
3rd Sep 2005, 21:50
Forget renaming the folder - delete the whole bloody thing. Gone for good without any adverse effects. I'd even argue it improves the software since the characters no longer intrude to use system resources or force multi-step responses.

Or better yet: Use Open Office from www.openoffice.org. V2 is soon to be released and a marked improvement on v1.x. Pre-releases of v2 have been quite stable for me on Windoze & Linux.

wondering
4th Sep 2005, 21:26
Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. Somehow, I thought that would be a problem and Microsoft would force people to buy an update.

Huh, I guess I wait until next year for the new windows Vista (?) and hang on to my win98 machine until then.

Sul
4th Sep 2005, 21:33
I second Tinstaafl's suggestion on using Open Office. I'm on my Linux system at the moment and it has v2 installed (pre-released/alpha though I believe). The final version 2 is yet to be released but I've heard many good things about it. I would definitely recommend you to try it. It costs nothing.