PDA

View Full Version : What to do after a PPL?

golf.charlie.foxtrot
3rd Sep 2005, 15:55
Hi everyone,

I was after some major help if possbile. I am currently studying towards my PPL and have approx 30 hours under my belt. I want to do something with flying as a job but dont really have the money to go commerical. The other problem I have is my eyesight is -5.75 which I think will make me fail my class 1 medical.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to carry on flying, I am interested in doing crop spraying for example.

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Golf.Charlie.Foxtrot

NT42
3rd Sep 2005, 16:12
To earn money from flying, you need a commercial licence, I believe. Which also requires a class one medical.

With crop spaying, and the likes, I assume you can do this "as a favour", but you cannot make a profit out of it on just a PPL.

Sorry!

JW.

golf.charlie.foxtrot
3rd Sep 2005, 16:16
Does that mean you need a CPL to crop spraying?

YYZ
3rd Sep 2005, 18:06
In order to earn money flying, you need a CPL.

YYZ

helicopter-redeye
3rd Sep 2005, 18:20
For hire or reward, you need a CPL.

To return to the question, next logical steps would be night rating and IMC.

I believe you can have correction to eyesight via lasor treatment to get to Class 1, or indeed wear correcting specs (as I do).

Put the question on the med board further up and get an expert opinion. Or take the Cl 1 reqs to your regular option and ask them to work it out with you. They can give some pro. advice on the subject.

h-r:)

FlyingForFun
4th Sep 2005, 17:29
If you're not able to get a Class 1 medical (but do make sure you follow up all avenues for getting the medical first), you will not be able to make any money from flying. But that doesn't mean you can't work in aviation. For example, ATC, or airline operations, are just two examples which immediately spring to mind.

FFF
-----------------

golf.charlie.foxtrot
10th Sep 2005, 15:59
How do you get a job in ATC or operations then...where do you need to look?

Also this question has probably been asked a million times before but where can I find information about studying at an American school if I do pass a class 1 medical?

Thanks

G.C.F

Whirlygig
10th Sep 2005, 19:39
Currently, the CAA will not issue a Class 1 medical if you have had correct laser eye surgery. They are concerned (I believe) about the subsequent ability to detect contrasts. When I got my Class 1 (May this year) and still having at least 6/6 vision age 40, I was asked to help with research the CAA are undertaking to decide whether they will accept laser eye surgery.

So be very careful if you have this done without checking with the CAA first.

Cheers

Whirls

waterpau
16th Sep 2005, 11:53
I think the CAA will actually issue Class 1 medicals to those who have had LASIK treatment, but only if the pre-corrective levels were within the specified limits. This condition makes corrective laser treatment useless if it's to achieve class 1 sight.

golf.charlie.foxtrot, I also have problems with my sight. Whilist I have 6/6 acuity, I have correction for astigmatism of -3.25 in one eye, so the CAA won't issue a Class 1.

You could try the FAA. Whilst they have the same sight standards (i.e corrected vision must 6/6) there is no limit on the level of correction. Assuming you can correct your sight to 6/6 you should be able to get an AME in the UK who is certified by the FAA to issue a Class 1 to you.

The only drawback with this is that you'd have to do any commercial flying on an American licence (or license), restricting you to either American registered aircraft or flying for airlines that do not stipulate which state your licence was issued in, as long as it's ICAO compliant. You wouldn't be able to fly for a UK airline.

Vee One...Rotate
16th Sep 2005, 14:56
Remember also that you'll need a Class I medical to be an Air Traffic Control Officer too.

V1R