PDA

View Full Version : Residency and tax

ndegepilot
3rd Sep 2005, 15:16
I am looking for best advice on my residency situation, which in turn will determine my tax liability. Completing the ATO's page on residency is inconclusive. Answering one question differently and I am a resident and therefore liable to Australian tax, changing the answer, and I am not an Australian resident, the question itself is vague but the implications are huge!

Briefly my situation is as follows: I fly for a multi-national based in the Middle East, and I work a month on month off roster. At present I live in Europe, but my Australian wife wants to move back to Australia. I would be able to commute back to Australia for my time off, and I anticipate being able to spend approximately five months in the year in Australia.

I hold a European passport, I will retain a property in Europe, I intend to keep other investments in Europe. I do not intend to seek work in Australia.

I have done a PPRuNe search but most returns are more applicable to Australian nationals, or the replies are more than two years old, and so things may have changed.

If anyone can point me to a thread that covers this topic, or can offer me advice I would be grateful. I would also be very pleased to hear from anyone who could legally minimise my tax liability if it is determined that I am an Australian Resident for tax purposes.

NP

BlueEagle
4th Sep 2005, 00:25
Suggest you go to http://www.gomatilda.com or send a message to Alan Collett at: [email protected] , Alan is an accountant who is very familiar with Australian tax laws etc.

ndegepilot
4th Sep 2005, 06:10
Thank you for the quick reply I will have a look at it.

NP

boebus
4th Sep 2005, 07:26
Mr ndegepilot. You are a game man (or woman) Asking other pilots for financial help!:{

Pilots are known for their lack of ability to handle tax and financial matters. There have been countless numbers who have lots their fortunes and super on 'get rich quick' schemes!:E

Spend :sad: a little money and invest in some good money and taxation advice and avoid asking fellow pilots - we are the worst people to give you the right info!:ok: