PDA

View Full Version : CPL and I/R skills test questioning (merged)

flight_for_life
3rd Sep 2005, 12:51
Guys and girls,

I'm looking for some guidance and helpful advice from your experiences of initial IR skills tests.

I understand from the CAA standards document ("Notes for the guidance of candidates undertaking the initial Instrument Rating skills test") that the examiner will probe their candidate's knowledge by way of "oral questioning".

Having recently taken the CPL skills test, I knew pretty much what kind of questions to expect from the examiner, and so was fairly relaxed when he came round to asking a few here and there. I know that examiners expect candidates to have a working knowledge of IFR and types of ATC service, airspace and of course a reasonable knowledge of the type of aircraft you are taking the test on (with regard to equipment/anti & de-ice/critical power units etc) but what else?!

My question to you all is: what kind of questions did your examiner ask you on your IR skills test? How did you go about answering? Did anyone come across the situation where they weren't sure of the answer to a question, and what did you do about this?

Cheers all.

Keygrip
3rd Sep 2005, 13:34
Any of you guys and gals going for CPL and/or Instrument Rating (under the UK CAA) are aware that, in order to attempt the skill test, you must be in posession of a Form 170A.

In order to get this form, you are required to demonstrate not only a competence at flying the aircraft, but also a general understanding of air law, JAR ops, aircraft performance etc.

What questions have you been asked (if any, if none state "zero") by either a 170A signatory or a flight examiner before, after, or during the issue of a 170A or the conduct of the flight test?

Let's have the Pprune databank.

<<edit: Incredible. I've been thinking of running this thread for months - then, as I type it out, somebody beats me to it. With a little Pprune magic, I've merged the two (with the earlier posting as the 'master') as the question remains relevant to both exams.>>

YYZ
3rd Sep 2005, 17:59
CPL 170A
Got asked general questions on how to pass/overtake an aircraft.
Airspace the airport was in.
RVR
How long my CPL would be valid, & a few others I cannot remember?

CPL Test
Generally speed questions, climb, cruise, maneuver, flaps etc

In both, they scrutinised my graphs, M&B etc

All good fun, Ill let you know what gets asked on my IR 170A & Test next week once I have done it:uhoh:

YYZ

BitMoreRightRudder
3rd Sep 2005, 20:30
A list of the general questions asked of myself and others at my FTO in recent flight tests.

IR:

What is the legal RVR minima for single pilot IFR operations?

What is the difference between a RIS and a RAS?

If you are receiving a RAS and you refuse to follow an advisory heading change to avoid conflict with other traffic what action should you expect the controller to take?

I see you have calculated a TODR - what must that TODR be equal to or less than?

Are these graphs factored for public transport operations? If not what factors have you applied to the TODR and LDR?

If you find ice on your aircraft during the pre-flight what actions would you take? Is there a particular part of the airframe you would pay special attention to?

Can we fly into known icing conditions using the aircraft you have with you today?

CPL:

What are the VFR minima in Class G airspace?

Can you explain the stipulations of Rule 5? Will our flight today be affected by rule 5 in any way?

I see you have prepared a M&B sheet for our aircraft - what would happen to the line on the chart if I were to add some luggage to the rear compartment?

I see the aircraft has a zero fuel weight of Xlbs. Is it ok to exceed this as long as we take less than full fuel to keep us within the limiting take-off weight?

What factors affect VMCA?

What are the two legal requirements for an aircraft commander to record in the tech log after each flight?

For how long is the CPL you are being tested for valid?

Examiner always asked for the speeds that would be flown during the flight eg Vx Vy and the rest.

Not all of these are word perfect but they are all questions asked by CAA staff examiners. I found that usually you would be asked maybe two reasonably easy questions and if you answered promptly and in a confident manner (and correctly!) then that would be the oral section finished. If you got one wrong then it would open up a gap in your knowledge and the examiner would then throw a few more questions at you.

If you are unsure of the answer then naming the source document that you could find it in often seemed to satisfy the examiner.

Good Luck!

:ok:

mad_jock
3rd Sep 2005, 23:35
None on the 170a

And a question why i was planning the perf for max weight.

I said if we are good for max weight we will be good for anything else.

After that nothing. Apart from have you checked the NOTAMS which I lied through my teeth. Which isn't a good thing i just forgot in the whole experence of the day.

MJ

duir
4th Sep 2005, 09:28
CPL 170a :
pre flight - nothing
at aircraft - nothing
during - "your handling is typical of a pilot produced by the modern system!"
after - "oh well at least you have a couple of hours left before test"

CPL Initial :
pre-flight - speeds/flightplan/charts/M+B/performance
at Aircraft - "why does this aircraft have 2 stall warners/what are root spoilers for/how much unusable fuel do we have/where is the battery?"
during - "what would you do now if we entered cloud/picked up ice?"
after - nothing

IR 170a :
pre-flight - nothing
at aircraft - nothing
during"your handling is typical of a pilot produced by the modern system!"
after - "I think you know what you are trying to do"

IR Initial :
pre-flight - speeds/performance(are we within limits/do we have enough runway)/flightplan/dates and serial numbers on charts/do you want a cup of tea?
at aircraft - nothing
during - "so what are you looking forward to the most about being a pilot(answer-being able to see out of the front window)/can you see the rainbow pattern I am able to make on the nearby clouds over your left shoulder?"
after - " why did you say positive climb on your single engine go-around?"

flight_for_life
4th Sep 2005, 16:29
Thanks for the responses people, all very helpful... keep them coming!

Here's my input:

CPL F170:
"What are the VFR minima for getting in and out of the zone (class D) and for the rest of the flight (class G)?"

"What action would you take in the event of a gear failure upon return to the circuit?"

CPL Initial Skills test:
"What are the VFR minima for getting in and out of the zone (class D) and for the rest of the flight (class G)?"

"I see from your perf. calculations that you have plotted the aerodrome pressure altitude as being sea level [test was taken at Bournemouth which is 38' AMSL on a day with AD QNH1026]. Would you have plotted any differently had today's pressure been less than 1013?" He wanted to see understanding that on a day when prevailing atmospheric pressure was less than standard ISA conditions that the AD pressure altitude was now above its real level. eg. QNH1003 puts Bournemouth roughly 300' higher than on a day of QNH1013. BUT VERY IMPORTANTLY that you can NEVER plot below sea level on the perf graphs - this is extrapolation and not accounted for in the charts' accuracy.

FFL

Cooluk
18th Sep 2005, 16:19
Here's My contribution to this immensely helpful data base...

Recently I was asked the following questions before I was issue with the form 170a...

1) Privileges of CPL Licences
2) Age limits of Pilots in Command and 1st Officers.
3) Low flying rules...
4) Certificate of release to service Vs Ceritificate of Maintenence review.
5) Air Navigation Order Schedule 8
6) JAR Performance Factors...

Goodluck to all....May the force be with you...!