PDA

View Full Version : DVD burning problems with Pinnacle

WindSpirit
2nd Sep 2005, 19:34
Hi there,

I have some difficulties burning DVDs with Pinnacle. It used to work a while ago but doesn't any more. The burning process starts writing the lead in, then an error message appears about 10 seconds later saying that burning was unsuccessful. Pinnacle technical support have tried to help but everything that was suggested hasn't worked. I've uninstalled, run RegClean and reinstalled, checked that the DMA of the hard drive is enabled. The hard drive is about 90% percent empty and is unpartitioned. Is it worth considering getting an external hard drive?

I'd be really grateful if anyone knows of any other tips or tricks. The version is Pinnacle 9.4.3 running on XP SP2.

Thanks,
WS

criticalmass
4th Sep 2005, 07:05
Are you trying to burn playable video DVDs, or data DVDs for file backups etc? I mostly produce video DVDs, so much of what is below is specific to them.

I use Vegas for editing and DVD
Architect for authoring. The burning-engine in Architect refused to burn video DVDs at all - couldn't recognise my burner (Plextor 708A), even after a firmware upgrade.

Fortunately, the burner came with an OEM Nero CD. I had installed it but not used it, not knowing how to get Nero to burn a video DVD.

From the Sony knowledgebase I learned that all you need to do to burn a video DVD is place the contents of two directories (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS) into the root directory of the DVD. That's all that is needed...nothing fancy or complex. Just those two directories and their contents. AUDIO_TS is always empty on a video DVD anyway, and you can leave it out and most DVD-players that will play a computer-burnt DVD will still play the DVD normally.

You do this under Nero by selecting to burn a DATA DVD, (do not select burn a a VIDEO DVD, it gets very snotty with you). Drag and drop those two directories into the selected files box, and start burning. A playable video DVD emerges at the end of the process.

The same process burns data DVDs or backup file, photos etc. A data DVD and a video DVD are one and the same thing, all that differs is the directory structure and what's actually in the directories.

OK, back to Pinnacle, which I assume you use for editing. Does Pinnacle do the necessary DVD authoring to make the required directory structures found in a playable video DVD? If so, have the settings for the authoring process been changed or become corrupted in some way?

Try a firmware upgrade for the burner, or delete and re-install Pinnacle.

Actually, I just use Nero to burn all my DVDs and CDs. No problems at all. Vegas does the cutting and audio mixdown, then renders into an MPEG at the chosen bit-rate (variable bit-rate encoding used).

DVD Architect transforms the rendered single MPEG file into the necessary VOB, IFO and BUP files.

Nero burns them to the DVD. Very simple. Provided Pinnacle produces the correct directory structure, I'd forget the burning-engine in Pinnacle and get the latest Nero (which will offer support for dual-layer DVDs) and go with it instead.

Hope something in this is of use.

WindSpirit
4th Sep 2005, 14:42
Criticalmass,

I am trying to burn video DVDs. Uninstalling, running the Pinnacle registry cleaner, and reinstalling the software didn't help.

It is possible to create disc content without burning and then to burn using another program. Pinnacle renders and compiles ok but the problems start when you try and burn within Pinnacle. I tried the test movie that comes with the software to check whether the file for the other movie could be corrupted, but the test file wouldn't burn either. I think I'll check out Nero. With the method you suggested using Nero, is the quality of the video ok?

Thanks for your help.

WS

willby
4th Sep 2005, 15:52
To copy/burn your dvd's, hard to beat DVD Shrink and NERO. Quality excellent.
Willby

spannersatcx
4th Sep 2005, 19:47
I only have v8 but it should be similar in 9, click on make movie, select disk, then there should be a tab for settings, in there is an option to creat disk content but not to burn to disk, just select a location on a hard drive where you want the files to go.

Then you can use nero, or record now, ulead etc etc to burn your disk with the dvd files.

DVD shrink needs the files in the first place, which WindSpirit doesn't have at the moment.

criticalmass
4th Sep 2005, 23:45
Windspirit,

The quality will be fine, but it depends on a number of issues. You have to be prepared to compromise, especially if you are burning single-sided 4.7Gb DVDs.

I use variable bit-rate encoding which optimises the filesize. DVD can handle a maximum video bit-rate of 9.8Megabits per sec, with what's left before it maxes out at 10Mbps being available for audio bits.

A lot of older DVD players baulk at much over 8.5Mbps. After I have cut a production, I have to render it from the uncompressed video files to MPEG2 compressed files, in which the video and audio are multiplexed (muxed) together in one bitstream. (The authoring software then chops up the MPEG2 file into the IFO, BUP and VOB files needed to make a playable video DVD).

Now the compromise begins. To get best image quality when there is a lot of movement in each frame requires a high bit-rate. So I try to average 8.5Mbps but allow the rendering engine to go as high as 9.5Mbps. The minimum video bit-rate I use is 192Kbps - used when the picture is stationary or a freeze-frame etc. No point using bits in the MPEG that aren't necessary.

I work with PAL video, which is 25 frames per second, and use resolutions of 576 vertical pixels by 720 horizontal pixels (standard 4:3 aspect ratio television). A 45-minute PAL production can be rendered using 9.5 max, 8.5 average and 192Kbps min and not overflow a 4.7Gb single-sided DVD.

A 1 hour 10 minute production has to be rendered at lower bit-rates to avoid overflow...actually, Nero will burn 4.9Gb to a single-sided DVD so you can fudge slighty and "overburn" without problems.

The important thing to realise is that the longer the production runtime, the lower the average, and maximum video bit-rates you have to use when rendering.

Render at too low a bit-rate and the video will look "blocky". However, if the original source material was shot with a good camera (and especially a good lens), it is surprising how low you can go with bit-rates and still have a very high-quality image when viewed on a non-broadcast quality monitor (i. e. the types of TV most folks have at home.).

Incidentally, for satellite transmission work, we usually go to 13.5Mbps video, maximise at 15Mbps, the rest being available for up to 8 channels of audio. It looks great, but the bit-rate is way too high to use on video DVD.

FWIW, the standard 9Mhz satellite carrier uses a video bit-rate of approx 8.3Mbps, and that's about what most good DVDs average. On that basis, provided the camera lens was good, your DVD video will look very acceptable, far better than VHS or S-VHS.