PDA

View Full Version : How far can you get on €40K?

normb
2nd Sep 2005, 12:26
Hi

Just a question for any Irish pilots out there that are currentlly training towards FATPL.
How far through the training process can you get on €40k, I am currently working the day job trying to save as much as I can so I can begin training, but it's tough going and i'm practically living like a monk. If I keep going the way I am I should have €40K saved in 16 months. Do you think that this could be enough money to pay for PPL/Hours building/Groundschool/CPL/MEIR?
I plan to train abroad as it should stretch the funds a bit.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

normb

Farrell
2nd Sep 2005, 19:42
i would suggest that you broaden your search to beyond Irish pilots, as i have heard that the english, welsh and scottish pilots have to live like monks as well - the europeans too!

PaddyMcGinty
4th Sep 2005, 15:20
Hi there,

I'm irish and so far have 220hrs PPL with my ATPLs done. I've spent about 45000 euros. Trust me there are so many hidden costs and everything involved, 40000 isnt going to get you finished. There are a lot of things i would do differently also. Initially I went into it wanting to spend as little as possible but if i could do it again i'd go to a well known JAA school in the UK and get my training done there except the hour building. I wouldnt do any licences in USA, just too damn frustrating, and annoying. At the end of the day you will probably spend as much money. One place i would highly recommend is Bristol Ground School for your ATPLs, brilliant!

Dont think in mony the whole time, think of the quality of training you are going to get. That is the most important thing.

Steve

Farrell
6th Sep 2005, 06:51
$35,000 will get you.....

FAA PPL, FAA ME, FAA Instrument Rating, CFI, CFII MEI and about 200 hours multi

Stay and get paid to instruct for a year - get another 1000 hours - all multi

Come back and convert it with the money you saved.

BEFORE the "Opus Dei" diehards come on and say that there is not enough suffering in this method and start flaming me.......it's an option.....ok?

englishal
6th Sep 2005, 17:25
BEFORE the "Opus Dei" diehards come on and say that there is not enough suffering in this method and start flaming me.......it's an option.....ok?
And a perfectly reasonable opinion too. I can never understand people who want to throw £60,000 down the pan, when you can get so much more "bang for the buck" by doing a bit of legwork and research ;)