PDA

View Full Version : In what order is the airframe de/anti-iced

Simbad
2nd Sep 2005, 08:19
I fly a medium size regional, and this question has never been raised. Is there a preferred sytem (as in what order the aerofoils are sprayed) for anti icing a heavy aircraft (specifically 777, 74 or A340) taking into consideration holdover times?
Please PM the answer as well if you have a definite answer.
Ta.

spleener
2nd Sep 2005, 10:59
No specific company requirement, but I always request the bit I'm going to inspect prior to take-off to be done first; ie the wing[s]
Ideally. this would be a symmetrical operation front to back - depending on available resources.
Anyone else a better idea? :rolleyes:

flynverted
2nd Sep 2005, 14:13
I always started at the left wingtip on 727,737, A300/310/319/320,DC8. Reason being if the first surface de-iced (left wingtip, that the Captain can see from the flight deck) is contamination free after de-icing is complete, then the rest of the plane is contamination free, providing the de-icers did a thorough job.
:ok:

kaikohe76
2nd Sep 2005, 14:30
I remember the first time I went through, the then new ''Car Wash'' deicing se up at Munich. Very impressive indeed, but as I recall & understood, the actual order of what surface was done first & the whole operation itself, was coordinated by the deicing foreman on the ground. All we had to do was make sure the apu was off & any belleds engine etc were off too.

The idea of starting with the port wing, so the skipper can then check the state when deicing is subsequently finished, seems very sensible to me.

Apologies, should have said, \'set up\' & \'bleeds\' in my previous post

Swedish Steve
2nd Sep 2005, 18:09
When using one truck we always start with the left wing, then the tail and then the right wing. If using two trucks then one starts on the left wing and one starts on the right tail. If the fuselage needs deicing then we always start there as the fluid washes over the wings. Remember that the holdover time starts with the first application of the anticing fluid. We use a two stage process with Type 1 to deice and type 11 to antice. It is different at every airport so make sure you get the rules first.
At LHR BA uses only diluted type 11 to de/antice in one go.
If you taxi through a rig it will usually be only type 1 at 50%.
If its not snowing you dont need anticing, just deicing as with no precipitation it lasts at least 45mins.
Its a minefield, talk to an expert