PDA

View Full Version : Rex Recruitment?

limpwindsock
2nd Sep 2005, 07:42
Does anyone know when Rex will recruit again? Heard they will lose quite a few drivers when ozjet start operations. Can you get a look in with minimal experience?

Also what sort of experience do you need to get into national jet? They never seem to advertise??

Cheers.

Legal_Counsel
2nd Sep 2005, 12:14
I assume you mean "pilots" limpwindsock.

Rex isn't stupid. When it loses the Ozjet bound pilots and they want their jobs back after Ozjet joins the house of Compass, they will get them back easily by offering them a fraction less than they are paying them now. In the mean time they can pick and choose who they will hire to fill the gaps on less pay and indeed who they will let back in. :} Airlines rarely rush into these decisions and almost always play their cards cleverly.

SAS check
2nd Sep 2005, 13:58
Legal was just wondering how management could give the Oz jet guys and gals there jobs back ( If needed?) on less wages when REX has an EBA.

Boney
2nd Sep 2005, 17:05
And besides, REX still don't expect you to pay them for a job (becoming a minority these days?).

So I will give them the benefit of the doubt, that they are not a bunch of cnuts (don't work for 'em either).

If they don't charge drivers for a job - I wish them all the luck in the future!

jarjar
3rd Sep 2005, 01:37
LC, Give it a rest will you ! This thread was about rex recruitment, as soon as someone mentions ozjet, your in there throwing all the punches. We are all aware of your opinion, how about you wait and see what happens. As for the pilots who have gone to ozjet, good on them they will get some 737 time(I know its 200 series but 737 none the less), and good luck to those who replace them at rex:ok:

Alien Sex God
3rd Sep 2005, 04:11
Legal Council is to Ozjet what Scumfish is to Qantas.

Legal_Counsel
3rd Sep 2005, 13:14
It is conceded that Rex is bound to apply the EBA to the re-hired pilots but it can circumvent the necessity to hire them on a full time basis or back on the same seniority.

Who is scumfish?

essbee
4th Sep 2005, 06:57
I've had them sniffing around lately asking to update my CV at staff.cv (which I hadn't bothered to do for about 3 years ). Is something afoot?

questil
4th Sep 2005, 07:00
If any of the Rex guys that go to ozjet do return of course they will lose seniority as they will be rejoining the company as new hires and they know this. It is a leap of faith to leave any job to join a startup company to one that is that is by comparison secure. They will also be subject to the new eba as far as i know Rex do not hire on a part time basis (although the duties on some occassions look like they are)

Legal_Counsel
4th Sep 2005, 09:04
These smaller operators would be better served by Casual Pilots.

Alien Sex God
4th Sep 2005, 20:59
Now Legal Council, who hates Qantas with a passion? Scumfish of course! ;)

Legal_Counsel
5th Sep 2005, 14:16
At half the price, you could afford to give casuals quality training, plenty of time off and reduce your sick leave to zero. Does QF have casuals?

chief wiggum
6th Sep 2005, 11:33
Surely if you have two casuals doing the same job as ONE permanent, then the training costs would be doubled, the currency of the casual pilots might have to ensured by ROSTERING them on a flight which would have otherwise have been flown by a regular, full time pilot?

It is conceded that Rex is bound to apply the EBA to the re-hired pilots but it can circumvent the necessity to hire them on a full time basis or back on the same seniority

where would the necessity to re hire on the same seniority come from ?

as a legal counsel, it doesn't sound like you know jack**** about airlines, EBA's or the law!

Legal_Counsel
9th Sep 2005, 01:26
Rex is an excellent position to exploit the virtues of casual employment without the threat of pilots leaving. The training budget can be tailored on a climbing scale to ensure only the best pilots reach senior positions. You can pay a Rex Captain training captain say 80K but a line Captain should be on no more than 40K pa.

Regional aviation needs fundamental changes to be made to reduce the cost of travel. Operations similar to road bus or coach would seem to me the way to go provided the quality of applicants is carefully screened and competencies addressed.

Pilots in Australia generally get big heads that they are above the rest of society and I think that has to be beaten out our culture. Yes, make sure all the safety features are in place but if you train more pilots and flood the market with them, you will see a much better served Australia. Frankly I believe a 737 Captain should only be on about 50K.

These are tough calls, I know, but the quicker we get to that level the better for everyone. :ok:

Boney
9th Sep 2005, 01:52
My head became especially big about 3 years ago when I was I was flying a Navajo and was paid 25K while mates of mine were making 60K+ doing a trade with a bit of over time.

I was so proud that I had nearly achieved the same money per hour as a toilet cleaner. My head was so big it would be no use getting into Qantas 'cause they would not have a hat big enough to fit my head.

wessex19
9th Sep 2005, 02:16
50K Legal_ council. A Barrister charges how many dollars for someone else to photo copy your documents and a $1000 to answer your phone call. Get real mate. Go and bother someone else!!

jarjar
9th Sep 2005, 02:23
LC

I seriously hope your are kidding. if not you are a F*@kwit. There arnt many jobs in australia that you lose your job every 6 months and have to prove to someone that your worthy of that position. To electricians go through this No, Lawyers No, Accountants No, Engineers No (unless in house). Yes I agree there are some pilots out there with big heads and little piloting skills, however we put up with a lot of ****e to get where we are.

You are seriously an ill informed w*@nker who, judging on all your previous posts has it in for pilots. I personally believe you are no more than an unemployed git who attempts to baffle readers of these columns with Bulls@#t.

Go get a life moron.

NZLeardriver
9th Sep 2005, 02:29
Legal_Counsel I would be curious to know how much you think a Legal Counsel should get paid.

Legal_Counsel
9th Sep 2005, 05:16
Just having a cuppa here.

Since when do employers have to compensate you for getting your Pilot's Licence? I don't recall any such arrangement in any profession. So step back and think about how lucky pilots have been to be given that recognition.

For your information, my charge out rate is $285 per hour plus GST though I frequently take cases and charge nothing. I may only work for 20 hours/week. Would you fly as pilot in command for nothing?

A bus driver employed for 38 hours a week earns say $15/hour to drive a school bus or charter coach. His responsbility in my view far outweighs that of a pilot. So let's put it into perspective.

I get paid what the market will bear just as the bussy gets paid what the market will bear. Right now pilots get paid more than they deserve and the time is approaching where the market will determine that this price is too high. And employers know you just love flying so it's a perfect opportunity to lower costs.

:=

jarjar
9th Sep 2005, 05:58
I frequently take cases and charge nothing.

Yeah, just like a pilot working out bush quite often sweeps hanger floors, cleans planes etc after hours and days off. You may take on cases for nothing, but how much exposure do you recieve ? or do you do it to make yourself feel better? Someone like yourself never does anything for "free ". Your name says it all, if you wanted to remain inconspicious, you would have chosen a name like "Frank" or "Joe" but your one of those egocentric suit types who needs to let everyone know that they're a lawyer. If you hadn't noticed there is a shortage of pilots becoming evident at the GA level (not huge, but gathering momentum), this then will move up the ladder, eventually leading to the airlines.

Tell me, when your sitting up front sipping your "cuppa" in business class,will you not be the first one off the plane when the captain comes over the PA with: "YAWN, Good morning ladies and Gentlemen, Sorry Im so weary, i was up all hours of the night at Woolies packing shelves because I cant afford to make ends meet....etc etc"?

Oh Yeah, one last question, if you dispise pilots and the aviation industry so much(and it seems that you do) WHY are you even on these forums?

Have a nice day :mad:

drshmoo
9th Sep 2005, 06:40
Legal Council = Geoff Dixon?????

You think a 737 capt should be on $50k. So 1person has the control and final decision over up to roughly 180 pax and you just wan to pay him/her $50k. Bus driver drives in a 2 dimensial world, weather is bad, he/she pulls over, engine fails he/she pulls over and there ain't no bus that has 180 pax as far as I know. Obviously in an aeroplane there are a great many more variables. Weather, malfunctions etc in the air are far more complicated, because of the 3D environment and decisions are made whilst travelling at 6 nm a min. Don't need to continue cause this is a pilot forum not pbrune (bus drivers equivalent).

So dear legal council with respect please pisss offfff and I suggest you go play email warfare with those two little legal tarts from that sydney law firm that were portrayed all over the news etc. That is your corner of the world. Please feel free to leave ours to us.

ps- we are mostly very underpaid and underappreciated:{ but thats another thread all together

NoseGear
9th Sep 2005, 06:45
LC, just how did you come up with those figures of yours? You claim a Training Captain should be on 80K, and line Captain on 40K, yet a 737 Captain on only 50K? What do you base those figures on? Do you really think there will be a massive influx of pilots if those were the wages on offer? :rolleyes:

"Since when do employers have to compensate you for getting your Pilot's Licence? I don't recall any such arrangement in any profession. So step back and think about how lucky pilots have been to be given that recognition." No pilot expects to be compensated for initial training, and what recognition are you talking about exactly?

"A bus driver employed for 38 hours a week earns say $15/hour to drive a school bus or charter coach. His responsbility in my view far outweighs that of a pilot. So let's put it into perspective. " Yes, lets do that shall we? Bus with 30 pax breaks down, coasts to stop on the side of the road, ordeal over in 15 to 20 seconds, no one even notices anyway. Airplane suffers a failure at 30 odd thousand feet, 450 miles an hour, 150 pax......now, you tell me who has the greater responsibility? Pilots get paid for what we may need to do, not always for what we actually do during the course of a duty, BUT knowing what to do takes practice and experience and study, lots of that on our own time, not to mention the 6 monthly assessment of our capability. Name one other profession that has that? Or is monitored as closely as us?

And yet you say, would you fly for nothing? No, we wouldn't, and not for your sad excuse for wages either. You display your ignorance of the industry by saying we get paid too much now, however wages have been on the decline for years, and now, because of that, there is a dearth of experienced pilots. So, as you say, market demands, our wages are on the way up. So up yours sunshine, don't expect to pay less for your tickets in the future, and your welcome to take that 12 hour bus trip anytime.

Personally, you sound like a tight ass who's only concern is to get the lowest paid denominator in the front so you don't have to pay too much, until there's an accident/incident in which you will promptly sue the offending company for negligence!:rolleyes:

Maybe to put it into terms you can grasp, if I was on trial for my life, would I hire you?

A) No, because if you were any good, you could afford to charge more. Market demands and all that.

B) No, because you spend far too much of your time on these boards, and not enough on your chosen profession, so obviously your not very good, otherwise you'd have lots of work to do. :p :E :rolleyes:

Nosey

Boney
9th Sep 2005, 07:07
I reckon LC is just a driver trying to wind us all up (maybe bored on over-nights or something??)

But if not.

Ahh ... Professional jealousy - what a sad thing. What we may have here drivers (if this poster is genuine) is a middle aged legal eagle who wishes he/she had spent their youth training etc. so that they now would be a driver.

But you 'aint, so should you really be posting on this forum.

LC, can you advise me of a legal type web site so I can post these.

Q. What's the difference between a lawyer and a duck?
A. They can both stick their bill up their ar$e.

Q. What is black and tan and looks good on a lawyer?
A. Doberman

Thanks for the entertainment LC.

NZLeardriver
9th Sep 2005, 07:17
I get paid what the market will bear just as the bussy gets paid what the market will bear. Right now pilots get paid more than they deserve

You are talking about what the market supports and then you talk about what a pilot DESERVES. From reading these boards it seems to me as if you have a personal hatred of pilots and are confusing what YOU (as judge jury and executioner) would like to see them being paid, and the points you wish to argue.
The market is not just a price one. Yes, pilot pay can go down while there are people prepared to work for less. That does not mean that the pilots themselves will be the sole component of this market. There will come a time where the market pay rate is so low, that professionals will not be prepared to work. At a certain stage the quality of applicants that are prepared to work for nothing or very little will be such that they will not be acceptable in this industry. That could be decided by the airlines, the regulatory authorites or the passengers themselves. Do you really want the cheapest ticket at any cost? In that case maybe we don't need the engineers, flight attendants or ATC.

Since when do employers have to compensate you for getting your Pilot's Licence? I don't recall any such arrangement in any profession. So step back and think about how lucky pilots have been to be given that recognition.

In every industry employers compensate you for getting your qualifications. A bus driver gets paid what he does because it is essentially unskilled labour. The training is quick, cheap and easy. The thought processes in his job are nowhere on the same level as other jobs that require years of training. I'm sure you have some form of qualification other than pilot-hating. Do you really feel that you pay doesn't reflect both the cost of your training and the time not working you had to spend to get that training?

His responsbility in my view far outweighs that of a pilot. So let's put it into perspective.

I am really struggling with how you can justify this. Can you explain it to us please?[

Boston
9th Sep 2005, 09:52
A new client had just come in to see a lawyer.

"Can you tell me how much you charge?", said the client.

"Of course", the lawyer replied, "I charge $200 to answer three questions!"

"Well that's a bit steep, isn't it?"

"Yes it is", said the lawyer, "And what's your third question?"

:}

Captahab
9th Sep 2005, 12:54
REX appears to be a really professional outfit, what the heck is a low life bottom dwelling scum (would like to be) lawyer doing commenting about something that concerns professionals.

The day after a verdict had been entered against his client, the lawyer rushed to the judge's chambers, demanding that the case be reopened, saying: "I have new evidence that makes a huge difference in my client's defense."

The judge asked, "What new evidence could you have?"

The lawyer replied, "My client has an extra $10,000, and I just found out about it!"

The devil visited a lawyer's office and made him an offer. "I can arrange some things for you, " the devil said. "I'll increase your income five-fold. Your partners will love you; your clients will respect you; you'll have four months of vacation each year and live to be a hundred. All I require in return is that your wife's soul, your children's souls, and their children's souls rot in hell for eternity."

The lawyer thought for a moment. "What's the catch?" he asked.

A man went to a brain store to get some brain to complete a study. He sees a sign remarking on the quality of professional brain offerred at this particular brain store. He begins to question the butcher about the cost of these brains.

"How much does it cost for engineer brain?"

"Three dollars an ounce."

"How much does it cost for programmer brain?"

"Four dollars an ounce."

"How much for lawyer brain?"

"$1,000 an ounce."

"Why is lawyer brain so much more?"

"Do you know how many lawyers we had to kill to get one ounce of brain?" :E

SAS check
9th Sep 2005, 13:47
Just end this thread, so LC the little **** can bat off on something else. You Tool !!!!!!!!

AllInGoodTime
9th Sep 2005, 14:39
LC congrats on successfully winding everyone up into a frenzy. It is a shame you can't actually be constructive. Clearly you are a very unhappy and frustrated person. I feel sorry for you, as even though I am sure you perceive yourself to be popular and well liked amongst your friends and peers, I am telling you they think you are an absolute fool behind your back. So I think we should just feel sorry for LC.

You sound more arrogant than any pilot I have come across. Clearly you are never going to be a professional pilot (Thank god for that), but don't trash the industry because you are frustrated by it. I have worked in it, but luck and further opportunites have not gone my way and I have moved into other work areas now, but I still think it is a great job and wish all well who are in it.

And finally, I think $130,000 for a Capt on a B737 isn't enough. I don't want the person up front flying me to my destination having to think about anything else but flying. I don't want them worrying about the mortgage, or money to pay school fees or even food. I am happy to pay a bit more to make sure they have their mind on the job. Considering they are in charge of a piece of equipment worth over $50 mill (B737) and say 150 lives, let alone 1 life, I think they deserve more money.

I think you just have to stop being angry, be happy, enjoy what you can about aviation, don't hate it because you haven't made it.

Legal_Counsel
10th Sep 2005, 15:27
AllinGoodTime, that is just the sweatest and most sensible thing I have read.

I also loved the jokes Boston.

I have to agree that the legal profession is a bit greedy but there are some of us who do genuinely try to help the under priveleged. My firm regularly contributes a proportion of its fees to selected charities.

:ok:

turbantime
10th Sep 2005, 22:34
that is just the sweatest and most sensible thing I have read

Well, that confirms it then, definitely a wind up as he can't even spell "sweetest". That, or he's not the best lawyer you'd want to hire. :cool:

Whiskey226
11th Sep 2005, 01:19
turbantime, that's what his secretary is for...

In effect we're in charge of way more than just the number of lives in the back - we do fly over densely populated cities regularly, no? Remember the AN124 that crashed into the apartments a few years back - far more casualties on the ground.

And if mr LC was soo worried about how much pilots get paid, perhaps he should go find a mining thread and spit chips about how much dumper drivers get paid, which is quite a bit more than most pilots are on, for much less 'responsibility'.

But, I guess he's come to expect paying that much for his wife's / mistresses diamonds...

Anyway, wasn't this thread about Rex recruitment?
I should think they'd keep their minimums as is - there's certainly no shortage.

iceblock
11th Sep 2005, 05:40
Legal_Counsel

A couple of things:

limpwindsock wants to know about entry requirements for Rex. So what he did was start a topic in an effort to find an answer.

You then highjacked the thread for your own personal agenda.

In an effort to get this thread back on topic I suggest you provide us with some answers or let it get back on topic. It seems you may not have the answer at your finger tips, but I suspect you could easily find out. So I propose:

1. You get yourself along to that pub your boss frequents, get him blind and find out what the answer is.

2. If that fails, get along to the Pitt St coffee shop next morning and listen to the gossip there, that may provide the answer we are all looking for.

3. If that fails start a new thread to discuss your payscale ramblings and leave this one to what it was originally intended.

limpwindsock:

Minimums for Rex interview used to be 3000tt, it has certainly dropped, over the last year.

Ring them up and introduce yourself, tell them your situation and ask if based on that you would be in the running for an interview. If not what part of your flying time do you need to increase to get one. They will not bite your head off, they will not blackmark you for ringing and may provide you with an answer straight from the source.....all the best.

Gnadenburg
11th Sep 2005, 09:52
Legal_Counsel

Your hourly rate is pretty low. You'd be the aviation equivalent of a Grade 3 Flying instructor in the legal fraternity.

There have been a few 737 crashes recently ably demonstrating what 50K a year in professionalism delivers.

Great to see Rex doing OK by the way.

echelonq
11th Sep 2005, 10:12
My firm regularly contributes a proportion of its fees to selected charities.

Tax Deduction maybe????

drshmoo
11th Sep 2005, 16:09
My firm regularly contributes a proportion of its fees to selected charities.

Probably to ol mate Rivkens insider trading fund