PDA

View Full Version : The Best Flight School in the World

DTTogaLI
2nd Sep 2005, 07:29
I guys, I was wondering...

Which is the very best school in the world? The most famous, the most respected? That school that YOU would love to have in the curriculum?!

Is it......

a: Flight Safety Academy in the US?

b: Oxford Aviation in the UK?

c: Is it your school??

d: Other??? you name it!!

.... and why is that?

(costs not involved) :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Sep 2005, 16:01
Empire Test Pilots School.

G

BillieBob
2nd Sep 2005, 17:06
Well, if we're playing that game - Central Flying School

gaypilote
2nd Sep 2005, 17:09
delta Connection Academy, clearly.

foxtrot181
2nd Sep 2005, 22:20
Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
Florida US

Farrell
2nd Sep 2005, 22:51
Ari Ben Aviator, Fort Pierce, Florida, USA

watchthewarrior
3rd Sep 2005, 03:55
Your all totally forgetting something here,

top gun of course.

wtw

AlternativeProcedure
3rd Sep 2005, 17:17
Nigerian College of Aviation Technology(lol)

AP

scroggs
3rd Sep 2005, 17:27
As a graduate of the RAF's Central Flying School, I'd love to think it was the best. The reality is, of course, that such an animal doesn't exist for all people in all circumstances. CFS certainly is (or was) among the world's best schools for flying instructors and examiners, ETPS is arguably the world's best school for test pilots (out of a grand total of 4 or so!). The US Navy's Fighter Weapons School ('Top Gun') is one of the best at its job, though there are many other pretenders to that particular throne, including the European NATO TLP programme.

As for ab-initio civilian pilot training establishments, there are just too many to make an authoritative judgement.

Scroggs

duir
3rd Sep 2005, 17:50
The one that get's you a 1st time pass, on time and on budget.:ok:

wheels up
4th Sep 2005, 16:03
Honest Bills Flying Skool and Diner.

wessexairways
4th Sep 2005, 19:49
Just wondering why nobody has nominated the school with the big advert that operates in the Daytona Beach area?????

philltowns
10th Sep 2005, 13:30
Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

hahahaha

HAHAhahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MWAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH, oh lord thats funny!!!!!!

That tickled me.

foxtrot181
10th Sep 2005, 15:03
philltowns try to keep your immature reactions to yourself!

Crazypilot A
10th Sep 2005, 16:34
FTE JEREZ or OAT..take your pick....

fray bentos pielot
10th Sep 2005, 20:13
Flight Training Europe

Falcon2000
11th Sep 2005, 15:27
by the way, where do the guys in S America do their training?! Have hardly heard anything about a training institute down there...
Anyone know anything about training there...?? They sure do have a fair deal of aviation/aerospace if not the best in the world..

philltowns
8th Oct 2005, 15:18
philltowns try to keep your immature reactions to yourself

Ah, get lost. E-R pilots almost killed me twice when I was doing my PPL. Here's an example of what BRILL pilots they are.

Coming in to land, landing light on, in daylight, I call final. E-R aircraft sitting at the hold. As I get closer, aircraft starts to pull onto runway. I clearly call short finals so that they know I'm coming in! Aircraft continues onto runway. As I get closer, aircraft starts take-off run, forcing me to go-around. They made no radio calls, no communication, no nothing. Scared the crap out of me.

Cant remember the second one - was a few years back, but i remember it was pretty serious, whatever it was.

So an "immature reaction" it is not. I wouldnt trust them as far as I could throw them.

Barcadi
8th Oct 2005, 15:50
well those r for the 'money-does-not-matter' ppl
so what r the best schools for the 'just-enough-to-pay-my-rent' type like the rest of us??

yyzdub
12th Oct 2005, 11:01
philltowns,

because one student messed up forgetting his call - as dangerous and stupid as it was - you reference the entire school's reputation on that particular incidence? Tell me one school that doesn't face issues and mishaps like this...

fray bentos pielot
22nd Oct 2005, 16:22
I standby my previous quote of FTE but for the very best flying school in the world i'd have to go for the RAF

philltowns
3rd Feb 2006, 20:00
philltowns,
because one student messed up forgetting his call - as dangerous and stupid as it was - you reference the entire school's reputation on that particular incidence? Tell me one school that doesn't face issues and mishaps like this...

Like I say, twice (and probably the only two times I came into contact with E-R aircraft), they put me in a very dangerous position. So yeah, my view of the school is that its the pits.

Aviator LGB
4th Feb 2006, 05:01
I call final. E-R aircraft sitting at the hold. As I get closer, aircraft starts to pull onto runway. I clearly call short finals so that they know I'm coming in! Aircraft continues onto runway. As I get closer, aircraft starts take-off run, forcing me to go-around. They made no radio calls, no communication, no nothing.

If that happens again I would advise checking that you have the correct frequency tuned in! ;)

kerrinator
4th Feb 2006, 09:47
by the way, where do the guys in S America do their training?! Have hardly heard anything about a training institute down there...
Anyone know anything about training there...?? They sure do have a fair deal of aviation/aerospace if not the best in the world..

Centro Aeronautico PAC, Caracas Venezuela. Probably the best in Venezuela! But aviation in South America is a complete different ball game. A bit of a dangerous joke, to be more percise! Best Airspace in the world?? No, Certainly NOT! :D

ramshorn
4th Feb 2006, 10:10
Bristol flying centre :8 :ok:

porridge
4th Feb 2006, 16:54
Best in the World? Difficult but here'e a couple of my own choices:
Best in the West (i.e. US) - University of North Dakota (UND)
Best in the South(ern Hemisphere) - 43 Air School

RYR-738-JOCKEY
4th Feb 2006, 17:58
You seem to have forgotten the very best:

:ok: NORWEGIAN AVIATION COLLEGE:ok:

It clearly says so on "our" site too (see top part):

http://www.pilotutdanning.no/

Check out the gallery and you'll see why. Did I mention we have mountains?

ASIAN FROG
5th Feb 2006, 07:02
A little fun now; the worst one?

Street
5th Feb 2006, 08:58
Wait!!!......a few of the best:

Flight Safety Academy
Oxford
CTC
Flight Training Europe
NLS (part of CAE)
KLM Flight Academy
Lufthansa Flight School
Flight Training Adelaide

I am talking about the education, not the aftercare (which is very important!).

For aftercare I am not sure, but I think Oxford is the best.

Worst?....many more to come.....

C130Dreamer
5th Feb 2006, 17:01
:ok: Simple is the best!

Airways Flight Training, Exeter, UK.

In my mind, probably one of the best and most highly respected flight schools within the business. After all, some of the finest RAF, Fleet Air Arm and AAC pilots choose AFT after recommendations from colleagues.

I've also heard that examiners enjoy going there too!!

Chilli Monster
8th Feb 2006, 19:18
In my experience flying amongst E-R aircraft, it's quite possible the E-R aircraft was working a UHF channel.

Why would an aircraft operated by a Civilian school (Embry-Riddle in the USA) be working a UHF frequency.

Top tips

1) Don't ASS-ume you know what the poster is talking about when you obviously don't (I know what you think E-R stands for in this case - but it doesn't)

2) Read the entire thread before making such assumptions ;)

C130Dreamer
8th Feb 2006, 21:49
Chill - Monster!

Fair cop my furry friend.

I send my humble apologies to philltowns, and I've remove the flawed post from the forum. However, the first use of the abbreviation E-R should have been followed with (Embry-Riddle in the USA) to stop any possible ASS-uming!:bored:

lloydsky
12th Feb 2006, 11:10
I believe ER are certainly not the best. Maybe because of their reputation, they think they are the best and thus end up compromising safety in the air. I know of at least 10 incidents of stupidity on there part and of 2 mid air collisions.

This obviously does not mean the whole school is crap, just a percentage of it, like any other school, only a higher percentage.

aswind
12th Feb 2006, 13:28
Atlantic Flight Training, Coventry (UK) :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

alberto86
12th Feb 2006, 13:39
definitely, FTE in Jerez.
They provide everything necessary for their trainees and sunny weather makes people even happier to be away from home :-).

A part of this, instructors and all the staff are very professional and they really want take the best out of you.

I hope to be there by the end of march!!

JustAnotherVictim
12th Feb 2006, 16:12
Alberto86

I'm not disagreeing with what you, but how can you say all that when you haven't even started training there?!

alberto86
12th Feb 2006, 19:31
well,
I've been in contact with them since last year and I've met people from the staff during one of FTE seminars, I really had great impressions!

the other factors that make me say such things come from other people's impressions which have always been along with what I've said.

Anyway, this is my own point of view (like all the others in this thread).

:)

JustAnotherVictim
12th Feb 2006, 19:35
Hi Alberto

Like I said, I wasn't disagreeing-just wondering how you managed to arrive at that conclusion. I attended one of their seminars here in the UK last month and they did present themselves very well. Maybe see you there later in the year?!

Turkish777
12th Feb 2006, 19:38
Is that sarcasm regarding Delta Connection Academy????? Surely it must be...

alberto86
12th Feb 2006, 19:44
JustAnotherVictim,

I'm hopefully attending the assessment day within 3 weeks, and if I'll pass all the tests I'm willing to start on March 27th, otherwise it will be the end of April!
when do you think you're going? What are your plans?

See you there :ok:

soviet bloc
14th Feb 2006, 19:29
OXFORD SUCKS AND BLOWS AT THE SAME TIME
all image !! every day I wish I'd gone somewhere else, anywhere else.
PM me for details if you need em.

Minimums!
15th Feb 2006, 20:09
i would definately recommend Embry Riddle, from firsthand experience and experiences/observations of other places. Ofcourse it has its drawbacks but problems are being fixed to make it a more streamlined and dynamic training environment. Any haters i respect your opinion and this is mine.

dartagnan
15th Feb 2006, 20:12
OXFORD SUCKS AND BLOWS AT THE SAME TIME
all image !! every day I wish I'd gone somewhere else, anywhere else.
PM me for details if you need em.

and why so?????

petesevenseven
16th Feb 2006, 03:20
For the absolute beginner who wants to get an Faa Licence then convert later on to JAA I absolutely recommend FlightSafety Academy in Vero Beach Florida!!!! The Home of Piper!!!!!!

From my own experience they are light years ahead of the rest, they get the job done right, first time!!!!

My transition to a regional turboprop from there was a piece of cake!!!!

Hope That Helps!!!!

Happy Landings!!!!!!

7gcbc
16th Feb 2006, 05:43
Best ?

Kerry Aero Club, Farrenfour, Kerry Ireland. :p

16th Feb 2006, 06:39
Royal Flying Institute for the Blind

count dingleberry
16th Feb 2006, 07:03
best schools for me

Intercockpit in Europe:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: +

Basair in Sydney, Australia:ok: :ok: :ok: +

EFT in Florida, USA:ok: :ok: :ok:

Flopsie
17th Feb 2006, 09:24
I recently visited InterCockpit in Frankfurt to approve their training from an operators perspective. Their operation is very impressive as they have the backing of Lufthansa Flight Training. All instruction is carried out in English using the Bristol Groundschool notes and I understand they now offer a JOC as part of the ATPL integrated package (also includes MCC). They run about 6 courses a year and type ratings, base training and line training is also offered. I believe they will also offer the MPL later this year. As of a few months ago, they had 9 airlines in a partner network system and from recent postings on their web site, all but 15 graduates have been placed in F/O jobs.

Well worth giving then a call or check their web site.

RITZER82
2nd Jul 2006, 09:34
Greetings company, a quick question, what shall I revise on in order for the selection test in flight schools such as Cabair and OAT. I dont know if anyone has come across the maths and physics software that is available for purchase from OAT, would this be useful in order to refresh my mind on these two vital subjects, all assistance will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.:)

microfilter
2nd Jul 2006, 12:10
For the 'selection' process you only need the most basic of maths and physics for OAT- the golden rule is to keep your mouth shut and act like a clone- oh, and have 70 grand at your disposal......

asuweb
2nd Jul 2006, 13:35
Oh look, more OAT bashing.... Something tells me you've got a chip on your shoulder...

RITZER82:

I can't speak for Cabair's selection process, but for OAT, here are some pointers:

For the maths side it would be advantageous to revise long division, long multiplication, percentages and fractions. The quicker you are at mental arithmetic, the easier you will find it. You are given paper and a pen but nothing else.

For the physics, I think there are 15 questions, nothing complicated just very basic physics.

As for the rest of the compass tests, there really isn't much to revise. You will be tested on hand/eye/foot coordination, memory recall (accuracy is the key).

Haven't heard much about the maths & physics cd's so can't give advice there.

If you are concidering OAT, you will find more information on their forum: www.oxfordaviation.net.

All the best

RITZER82
2nd Jul 2006, 16:04
Thanks mate for that useful information I shall go and crack on the topics now.:)

planecrazy.eu
15th Jul 2006, 17:27
Hey All, i have looked all over and cant find much information on this. I am looking at many different flight schools, but how do you get the real facts from all that sales pitch information and make out whats true, whats false and what parts the truth has been streched on?

Are there any statistical reviews of flight schools, ie

Flight School takes on 120 pupils per year, flight school got 50 jobs 2005, 12 so far 2006, 60% are integrated/40% are Modular. 40 jobs went to Integrated pilots.......Etc Etc???

I have been looking at Uni's and there are so much stats on them all, but i cant find any on flight schools and think that stats can paint a good picture when stuck in choosing between flight schools...

Maybe such a topic can be added to the list of common asked questions as i cant be the only one stuck in choosing a flight school and they do say if you dont ask you dont get.

Thanks all...

Shendidy
15th Jul 2006, 19:20
Hello all,

Nothing there about Stapleford Flight Centre in London.. I'm looking to start a modular course with them, did any one have a good or bad experience with them? Any advice? Wouldn't like to spend some grands then regret I didn't ask:bored:

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

captwannabe
15th Jul 2006, 20:41
planecrazy.eu,
I'm afraid you'll have to read through the threads to find out about the different schools and decide which suits you best.

Shendidy,
Do a search for Stapleford, or else look back a few pages. There's a big thread about SFC.

SinBin
15th Jul 2006, 21:18
The best school in the world, is the school that gets you through first time passes! Nothing more, nothing less! There are many schools that do this, and all schools must train to the same standard by law otherwise they lose their permits. Politics are another thing, you get this everywhere, not just flying training! This is a terribly subjective thread, where there is no definitive answer.