PDA

View Full Version : Night VFR

4Greens
1st Sep 2005, 23:19
Australia has a classification of a Pilot licence called Night VFR.

I'm trying to do a little research on which countries use this as an intermediate step before a full instrument rating.

Any assistance welcomed.

Herc Jerk
2nd Sep 2005, 01:43
I'm pretty sure you won't find it anywhere else- at least it has not been a factor with any of my license conversions... but am prepared to be corrected.

Believe it's original intent was to allow some lee-way to PVT VFR pilots to complete a flight just after end of daylight- not, as it can be used, as a take-off into a dark night with no instrument rating and/or WX radar kind of thing.

The "intermediate step" comes about from australian flight schools using it as a precursor to an IR, as it provides some basic instrument training. There is no requirement to hold a NVFR prior to an IR.

HJ

bookworm
2nd Sep 2005, 07:17
I'm trying to do a little research on which countries use this as an intermediate step before a full instrument rating.

It could be argued that the JAR-FCL night qualification (required for flight at night) is just such an intermediate step, in that it is a requirement for applicants for an IR.

Gargleblaster
2nd Sep 2005, 08:02
Night VFR is allowed in Denmark. It's a prerequisite for taking an IR. But it's also fairly much used by VFR-only pilots. Taking a night VFR qualification normally takes only 3 training flights.

4Greens
2nd Sep 2005, 08:19
Thanks for the input.

Does anyone know whether it is in use in the US?

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Sep 2005, 18:20
In the USA there is also a concept of night-VFR, and the FAA PPL includes this permission UNLESS specifically excluded (as it often is, for example, for a JAR licence holder without a night qualification using a reciprocal licence).

So far as I know, the only night/day VFR difference in the USA is that in class G whilst in the day the VFR minima are 1 statute mile 1000ft below, 500ft above, and 2000ft horizontally from cloud / clear of cloud below 1200AGL, at night for these minima to apply you must ALSO be in a traffic pattern, below 1200ft and within half a mile of a runway - otherwise a 3 statute mile visibility rule applies with the same cloud separation values.

G

None
2nd Sep 2005, 19:23
FAA Private Pilot Aeronautical Experience Requirements:

For an airplane single-engine rating....2) Except as provided in §61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a single-engine airplane that includes—

(i) One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance; and

(ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.

And this provision which G pointed out:

c) A person who does not meet the night flying requirements in §61.109(d)(2), (i)(2), or (j)(2) may be issued a private pilot certificate with the limitation “Night flying prohibited.” This limitation may be removed by an examiner if the holder complies with the requirements of §61.109(d)(2), (i)(2), or (j)(2), as appropriate

Recency of experience requires full stop landings instead of touch & go's:

(b) Night takeoff and landing experience. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, unless within the preceding 90 days that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, and—

(i) That person acted as sole manipulator of the flight controls; and

(ii) The required takeoffs and landings were performed in an aircraft of the same category, class, and type (if a type rating is required).