PDA

View Full Version : 3rd class degree

Prospects
1st Sep 2005, 18:47
Out of interest, are there many (any) pro pilots out there that managed to gain employment with a gentlemen’s degree?

Many thanks
Prospects:(

147break
1st Sep 2005, 18:53
There are probably more out there with no degree!!!

It's not the be all and end all.......

Ropey Pilot
1st Sep 2005, 19:24
Pilots have their own academic exams in the ATPL which require a level of knowledge akin to approx GCSE (in my subjective opinion!)

Other than accounting or a 3 year period of your life so far I wouldn't have thought most employers would give 2 hoots that you went to uni at all since (as 147 said) there are plenty out there with far fewer academic quals

FLYING COUNSEL
4th Sep 2005, 17:09
Alas, I think you may find it extremely dificult to join the professions (accountancy, law, bankink, etc.) and indeed almost impossible to do a masters or any postgrad study in any half decent university. But I doubt very much whether you will find any airline who in anyway care about your mediocre academic performance, me thinks performance in flight tests and exams would be far more important.

Alas, I think you may find it extremely dificult to join the professions (accountancy, law, banking, etc.) and indeed almost impossible to do a masters or any postgrad study in any half decent university. But I doubt very much whether you will find any airline who in anyway care about your mediocre academic performance, me thinks performance in flight tests and exams would be far more important.

Maude Charlee
4th Sep 2005, 17:46
Some airlines have a bug up their ass about academic qualifications, usually in connection to sponsorships. Clearly the best educated applicants are the best candidiates for the job. :rolleyes:

BA, Thomas Cook and Excel are but 3 off the top of my head who get all excited about exam results. And no, I'm not all bitter - I have a good degree and my ATPL - just don't agree with the principle or with applicants funding their own type ratings.

AIRWAY
5th Sep 2005, 08:56
Indeed, you will probably find out there more pilots without a Degree than with one, some airlines require a degree of some sort for sponsorships others will require a degree purely to keep down the level of applications they might receive for a vacant position, but why not do one? It is advisable to have a plan B of some sort just in case aviation doesn’t work out. Aviation is unstable, one day you might have a job and the next day nothing.

It is of my opinion and many others that investing in further education is essential for personal development and career as well.

In this case it all helps you not to be the best pilot but to be a “better” pilot.

:ok: