PDA

View Full Version : JAA CPL in the US - is it really frowned upon?

mungo_55
1st Sep 2005, 11:12
Hi All,

I'm thinking of doing my JAA CPL in the States to save a bit of money, then coming back to blighty to do the IR here at Bournemouth.

There do seem to be some schools in the US that people rate highly for the CPL (eg. Naples Air Centre and EFT).

My question is do people think having a CPL course that was flown in the States is an ok thing from the point of view of future employment prospects in the UK? I can't quite find enough evidence on the forum to decide if its a real problem or not.

Any views / experiences much appreciated.

Mungo

Ninety-Nines
1st Sep 2005, 23:25
As I am sure that is the case for OFT and EFT, at NAC we have not found our JAA CPL students to have been penalized for completing their training in the US. Even today, one of our students contacted us to say they had just been hired by Ryan Air.

Should you wish, we would be happy to put you in touch with the most recent students to have been hired to get some feedback.

HELOFAN
13th Sep 2005, 22:21
I was wondering the same thing for Oz and helicopter lisencing.
Helo info would be appreciated .

Thanks

HF

George Semel
14th Sep 2005, 03:50
For the Helo guy, sure you can do your training in OZ then when you get home convert to your home country. Look I maybe going to Belize for the winter to fly helicopters. I know that I will have to convert my FAA certificate to a Belize one. Unless the aircraft is of US registry. You will be able to fly an OZ aircraft you are rated for anywhere in the world. Getting the right to work anywhere is another story. Talk with your Aviation Authority about what you are going to do and what is going to be required for conversion. For example in Canada you only need 100 hours for a commercial pilot in helicopters, while the FAA requires that you have logged at least 150 hours of pilot time, with at least 50 hours in helicopters. You will need to look at your nations regs for the issue of a commercial pilot - helicopter and make sure that you meet all the requirements. You would be looking at a written test and a check ride at tha very least. Its not hard, just takes time and a fair amount of cash.

Megaton
14th Sep 2005, 05:35
Did my CPL at EFT couple of years ago. Hired by regional outfit last year and start with BA in Nov. So answer appears to be no! :)

BEagle
14th Sep 2005, 06:36
Might be the case for a CPL, but someone who had done virtually all his training in the US (including FI(R) course) approached me for an instructing job.

Sorry, not interested. Insufficient practical knowledge or experience of UK airspace, procedures and requirements.

englishal
14th Sep 2005, 17:13
A friend of mine did PPL in the USA, hour building in Canada, FAA IR in America, FI course in England, CPL in Florida, Converted the IR in the UK then worked as an Instructor in the UK. He now flies A320's......

needajob01
14th Sep 2005, 18:10
did my FAA CPL/FI in the USA.
Hired a few years later in the US in night cargo operations.:ok:

back in europe, converted my license in UK during 2 years, since 1 year I am still looking for a job.

:ugh:

pipergirl
15th Sep 2005, 13:49
I know a lot of people who now fly professionally who did their training in the states and it hasn't held them back at all

best of luck with whatever route you choose:ok: