PDA

View Full Version : First Job

daisypickers
1st Sep 2005, 06:43
G'day All

Im a student pilot currently undertaking studies at university and will finish in around 2 months. I have a CPL, twin endorsement, NVFR and will probably do my instructor rating once the semester finishes. I know that your first job is always your hardest so i'd just like some advice on where to find it? and if there are many out there?? Any thoughts or comments on this topic would be great!!

jarjar
2nd Sep 2005, 02:53
My suggestion is that you sit down and think about what it is you really want out of your career. An instructor rating will only be good to you if you plan to stay in instructing for a while, dont do it just because its there. Instructing may help you fine tune some of your basic flying skills and if you stay in it long enough you will advance through the grades and accumulate some valuable flying. What you have to decide is whether or not you will enjoy instructing. On the other hand save your money(for an instrument rating-not necessarily now), and go bush to find a charter job and accumulate hours that way. both these career paths can be extremely rewarding, and repeating what I said earlier, you must decide what path you will find most satisfying.

Cheers:ok:

daisypickers
2nd Sep 2005, 04:22
Thank you JarJar, you've given some valuable advice and certainly something for me to think about!

Continental-520
2nd Sep 2005, 08:42
May I suggest that you don't waste any more money on twin time. I know you haven't indicated that you were going to, but I've heard of a few guys who think that some extra twin time will improve their chances of getting a first job, or getting onto a twin later.

Sure, hours are hours, it will add to your total time, but you can do it a lot cheaper than that if you're going to private hire something.

Secondly, multi time is of course good, but don't forget that you can get jobs on twins later in your career with next to no multi time. We all have to start somewhere, everyone had 30hrs multi at one point in their life. Or will.

So, if you go the charter path, out of the two paths that jarjar has suggested, it would certainly help you to get some time on relevant equipment...eg C206, C210. Preferably the latter. Maybe even an A36 but they're not as common.

Good luck...

520. :ok:

Boney
2nd Sep 2005, 16:49
Continental - you are spot on.

A guy/girl with 200TT, including say, 10hrs C210 + 10hrs C206 will almost always get the gig over a person with 300TT with all the hours on Skippers, PA-28's and a few hrs in a Trinidad.

The only real working aircraft in entry level GA are the big Cessna singles (that is, in the case of Northern Australia).

My advice - get 10hrs + on C206/C210, or both if the budget allows it. $hit, you are only going to pay for another 20hrs of flying anyway - why not spend it on aircraft that will look good on the resume. Besides, both 210 and 206 are great machines to fly.

Enjoy!

Ace on Base
2nd Sep 2005, 19:20
Boney

The only real working aircraft in entry level GA are the big Cessna singles (that is, in the case of Northern Australia).

I hardly think she needs time on a Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan at this stage, stick to the "Middle Cessna singles" :(

Oh I sometimes miss the "big Cessna Singles"........ :{

Keep smilin Sunshiners