PDA

View Full Version : single or twin planes in training

ask26
31st Aug 2005, 23:35
When looking to build up hours and also in the CPL section, is it worth paying extra to use a twin-engine aircraft than a single one or is that sort of thing not considered in your CV.

I ask as for similar prices going from modular ab-initio to frozen ATPL you can have either

190 single, 18 twin (PTC)
or
95 single, 100 twin (Riverside)

Would having the extra twin time make you any more likely to stand out in a bunch of CV's.

Or for that matter, should you look for flight schools that offer hours in complex singles, are they any better?

ask26
5th Sep 2005, 00:49
anyone got an idea/opinion about this..?

wbryce
5th Sep 2005, 09:59
well IMO,

the extra twin time wont make you stand out in a crowd of angry fATPL holders....but the extra experience gained in doing your CPL in a multi will inevitabley help you in your IR stage.

A few people who I have spoken too told me the IR practical flying is enough in itself and wish they had a few extra hours in a twin to make them feel more at home on test day.

Individually, it depends on your circumstances. Think ahead of the game and consider if doing the CPL in a multi will help you in your IR or not.

Piltdown Man
5th Sep 2005, 10:03
I agree with wbryce. Save the cash for when you are looking for a job. 95 quid can buy a lot of beans on toast and a bit of petrol for interviews.

PSF2J
26th Sep 2005, 16:33
MEP Hours are worth their weight. Many airlines look for MEP hours, and are interested in people who have the experience. It got me interviews as i had well above average MEP experience. Alot of companies who advertise out there, often have a certain prerequisite of MEP hours.

As for the IR, if you know your aircraft and how to handle it in emergency scenarios, even better!

Best of Luck

J

Fair_Weather_Flyer
28th Sep 2005, 03:21
100 hours multi is a figure which several of the UK turboprop operators have asked for in the past. Just because they are not asking for it these days not mean that they don't want it. If you have jet aspirations as a first job though I think I would save the cash for a TR. I doubt MEP hours would help you much.

Besides, twins are more fun than singles and the Duchesses used by Riverside are a great aircraft. I have many hundreds of hours in the things and I still find them a pleasure to fly.

I would take the Riverside deal if it was my cash.

wbryce
28th Sep 2005, 08:32
Out of curiousity, whats the rate at riverside for twin flying? Do there insurance company allow them to hire the ac out?
or is there a minimum amount of hours in MEP required?

Farrell
28th Sep 2005, 17:41
"the extra twin time wont make you stand out in a crowd of angry fATPL holders".......rubbish!

Multi Engine time will increase your chances of a job.

Here's my advice.......

Go the the US, do the CPL and IR (FAA) on multis - it will cost you about $30,000 - and will include your ME instructor cert and you can spend 6 months getting ME time for free.

Convert the lot to JAA - and then go and stand with the angry group of fATPL holders who have 800 hours single to your 800 hours of multi and see who stands out. :rolleyes:

wbryce
28th Sep 2005, 17:54
The vast majority of fATPL holders will only have between 20-50hrs on twins. The airlines aint going to single you out of a large pile of CVs because you have 20 or 30 more MEP hours than X Y and Z.

Its my general feeling with some others, that having 100+ hours MEP time will make you more favourable though!

Just my opinion of course! :)

PAPI-74
28th Sep 2005, 18:14
I agree with wbryce.
Unless you are going to shell out thousands on loads of mep hours, it really won't make that much difference. Having complex time is the same; it is what you do with the hours that counts. Go to Europe IFR on 300nm routes and get some major airports into your log book. Save the money and stay in a French hotel for the night.
The interviewer is going to want to hire experience not mep hours and having been to the airports that an applied to airline fly into, especially IFR, is in my opinion the way forward........comments on a post card.

If you want any cred on you CV, don\'t go near the US. If you want to fly in the UK, train in the UK.
Hour bulid certainly in the US, but cheap is dear as far as training is concerned.
Cape Town is up and comming now it has JAA, but get a big gun when you land.

If you want any cred on you CV, don\'t go near the US. If you want to fly in the UK, train in the UK.
Hour bulid certainly in the US, but cheap is dear as far as training is concerned.
Cape Town is up and comming now it has JAA, but get a big gun when you land.

Fair_Weather_Flyer
28th Sep 2005, 18:54
\Unless you are going to shell out thousands on loads of mep hours, it really won't make that much difference. Having complex time is the same; it is what you do with the hours that counts.

What you say makes a great deal of sense in principle PAPI-74. However in reality I believe that you are wrong. On almost any kind of application for aviation employment the employer will want to know how much multi time you have. Mulit time is one of the headline numbers that goes alongside total time on your CV. I have never seen or heard of anyone requesting a specific amount of complex time. It may be the most tricked out, fastest glass cockpit Cirrus going but at the end of the day it's still a single. I reckon that most employers would take more notice if you'd been flying the same hours in a knackered Apache.

Also regarding the above concerns about US training, I can understand this. However, the flight instruction job I have has allowed me to build up 500hrs MEP, 230hrs IFR and I have flown into some of the worlds biggest airports on 300nm long XC's many times. I am a foreigner and do not hold a green card. Only in the USA would I be able to get this kind of experience. Back at home I'd be warbling round the pattern in a C152, at best. I'm not stupid enough to believe that I will walk into a job back home, but my CV will get noticed.

PAPI-74
29th Sep 2005, 13:59
Yes I do agree with you, but going back to the original question by ask, they sound low hours and pre-cpl. It all depends a bit on what they want to do. By all means, if they want to do air taxi work or instruct on twins, of course the route for them is twin time. Usually though, they want quite a few hundred to be able to fly PIC IFR single crew, unless you know someone. Of course twin time is favourite, but who has that sort of cash. In reality, I really feel that TT and your experience IFR, with currency that makes the difference.
Many students who do the MEP CPL, struggle with the extra speed and over run on the time, which at the cost that it is dual, is false economy. Why not take a c150 over to eg Germany from the UK, or several trips to Ireland / Scotland and log all that slow cruise time at £50 per hour (approx.)..... less is you buy a share.
The UK market is very fluid now and I don't feel that what you fly matters, it is how much and where to.
Again, only my opinion and my plan for Airline entry. Maybe I'll end up Locksmithing again....... :}