PDA

View Full Version : Any Skybolt builders out there?

2wings4me
31st Aug 2005, 22:51
I am seriously looking at building a Steen Skybolt and would like to make contact with anyone in Aus. that has built, is building, or owns one.
There is plenty of info. on projects underway in the US, but I would like to talk to someone who has done it here.
I have joined the SAAA, but their website has not yeided much.
Should I take the small number (5) flying here as some kind of warning?

InTransit
1st Sep 2005, 00:16
There's a fella down in Bachelor (NT) that owns and flies one. Not sure if he built it. Call the NAC base pilot, he shares a hanger with the dude.

Time Bomb Ted
1st Sep 2005, 00:33
Ring Bob Tait. His mate Keith is the guy who re-built his Piper Pacer, and he also built his own skybolt. www.bobtait.com.au will have the phone number.

TBT

7gcbc
1st Sep 2005, 02:23
There's a chap in Parkes who is (was) looking at one, I believe he works in the AG Industry, maybe even the owner of an AG operation there.

djpil
1st Sep 2005, 20:30
Keith's aeroplane is not a 'Bolt.
Best place to ask is here. (http://www.gf24.de/biplane/)
There was an article by Rob Dorsey in a recent magazine which may be at his website. (http://american-aerobatics.com//) .
The two local builders that I knew were very happy with their machines. One had a 180 hp engine with fixed pitch prop and the other a 260 hp with C/S prop. The Skybolt is a great airplane.

Time Bomb Ted
2nd Sep 2005, 03:02
I always thought Keith's was a skybolt. Well there you go!

TBT

djpil
2nd Sep 2005, 05:53
Keith's aeroplane:
Make: Amateur Built Aircraft
Country of Manuf.: AUSTRALIA
Model: ACRO SPORT II MTOW: 000689
Eng. Make: LYCOMING Serial No.: Q160
Eng. Model: IO-360-A1B Engines: 1
Eng. Type: Reciprocating Gear Type: Tailwheel-fixed
Fuel Type: Gasoline
Year of Manuf.: 1998 Airframe: Amateur built aeroplane
Type: EAA Category: Amateur-built (ABAA)

While I was in the register I was reminded of Andy Ski and his Skybolt. He's had his for years.

Chimbu chuckles
3rd Sep 2005, 10:04
There's a name from the past...met him must be nearly 20 yrs ago through friends in Albury Wadonga...he'd not long finished it and it was beautifull.

They're a really nice machine...like a 'grown up' Pitts.

Actually thinking on it might be closer to 25 yrs:ooh:

2wings4me
6th Sep 2005, 03:16
Thanks for the replies and PMs.
They have given me quite a bit to go on.