PDA

View Full Version : HeeHee! New Monitor/TV

Conan the Librarian
31st Aug 2005, 16:38
It is only appropriate that the first thing that I type since installing a new Monitor is to Pprune, I suppose.

For months, I have looked at the convergance between LCD Monitors and LCD Television, but last week decided to bite the bullet and do some research.

I was appalled to find that whilst even cheapo LCD TV sets usually allow you to have a PC input as well, The shock came when I looked at the resolution for PC use. Most of these things were a pretty frightening and ancient VGA standard, ie 640X480. Horrific. I do a lot of photo fiddling on screen and that VGA screen resolution is even worse than you can imagine.

I eventually found a great solution in a PC monitor with on its secondary side, a built in TV and radio tuner with masses of inputs for pretty much any A/V device you can think of. 1280X1024 res (pretty std for LCD monitors, but not TV) and a 19 inch screen, though in monitor format rather than widescreen. It actually looks pretty damned good from where I type. My original screen, a 17 inch LCD Iiyama, can then sit at the side of the new one and I can have this forum and Jetblast open at the same time.

Tomorrow, the man comes to fit a box so that I can experience the dizzy delights Of Ruperts' Repeat Service aka Sky, so I can then finally tell you if Discovery Wings is an aviation or feminine hygiene channel.

If anybody else is looking for a well specced dual purpose screen and wants to cut some time off their own research, then either post here or PM me for the manufacturer or more details. We will see how things go!

Conan