PDA

View Full Version : Aeroclub Manawatu

deepbluesomethin
31st Aug 2005, 15:34
Hey ya ppl...does any1 have any info on this aeroclub..would like to know their training standards for PPL/CPL...in terms of quality, safety, a/c maintenance, general reputation

Thanks much!!!!

Daqqy152
1st Sep 2005, 00:38
Pop in to the bar (at the club) friday night 6ish have a chat, anyone would be pleased to answer any questions

deepbluesomethin
1st Sep 2005, 07:36
uh oh...m not from NZ any other solution besides chatting up over email/phone with the instructors/students???

Oktas8
4th Sep 2005, 04:13
Try asking Massey 058. Massey University operates off the same airfield.

Daqqy152
4th Sep 2005, 04:41
PM Me with any questions will do my best to answer them

Massey058
4th Sep 2005, 22:19
I only have a loose association through patronage at the bar but they seem like a good bunch, have been using a 152 of late. The CFI is an ex Indian Air Force with an amazing wealth of experience, setting up the Botswanian Air Force among other things. Taught aerodynamics at Massey for a while. They have a website: Manawatu Aerocub (http://www.aeroclub.co.nz)

Overall I may be biassed but Manawatu is quite a good place to learn to fly having controlled airspace that can get 'mildly' busy, good uncontrolled training areas, military activity and close proximity to other airfields.

Sqwark2004
5th Sep 2005, 01:52
Have to agree with Massey058 on that one.

I worked with the aeroclub for a few years and found Palmy to be a good place to learn.

-Controlled aerodrome without the major waiting that is usually associated with busy airports.

- Uncontrolled airspace and airfields to the north and south.

- Lots of flat land to practice FLWOP's on.

- Radar controlled airspace all around the place.

- 1 x VOR, 3 x NDB's & 1 x ILS all within 30 minutes flight time.

- Usually has a nice wee crosswind blowing as well.

-The aeroclub has a lot of potential to do very well, excellent facilities, great bar/social area.

However. Horrible place to live, hardly any sunshine, 90% of the time it was either windy or wet or both.

Just make sure you don't take any sh!t from the committee, that's if they are the same crowd that were there when I was around.

Good Luck

S2K4eva

Wingman09
5th Sep 2005, 08:30
I believe the CFI just got his A-cat and seems like a real nice guy and one of the c-152's is a real sh*t bomb.

Massey058
5th Sep 2005, 08:43
CFI has the most amazing stories, flown all sorts from the 152 to supersonic military jets.

kiwi22
15th Sep 2005, 09:17
In my opinion after being trained at Massey and lectured by the now CFI of the aeroclub he is a very experienced flight instructor. You could do much worse by going elsewhere.