PDA

View Full Version : How 2 get Money!

FlyMD-12
31st Aug 2005, 01:16
Hi,

Just asking: How to get money to become a pilot? in any country (It dosen't matter)... FAA to get a Job here later :)

Thanks.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
31st Aug 2005, 07:44
How about earning it?

AIRWAY
31st Aug 2005, 13:17
How about working? It is the best option :O

I am a student pilot, and currently i work full time to pay for my flying and other bills, also i attend university part-time, plus flying (weekends)...

Money doesn't fall from the sky (i wish :p )

Genghis the Engineer
31st Aug 2005, 13:41
Working hard and earning it has always worked for me, only a close second to persuading somebody else to pay for it - but opportunities for that are few and far between and tend to involve signing your life away for years.

G

Charlie Zulu
31st Aug 2005, 16:36
Yup working hard to earn the money which in turn pays for my flight courses / ground school and flying.

Works for me.

mattd2k
31st Aug 2005, 19:38
Ok, this will need some forethought and you may have already missed the boat. I raised the money by buying my house in an up and coming area, living there for two years and then selling it for nearly double what we paid!

It also helps if you have a wonderful wife who is happy for you to sell your home and spend all the equity on upping sticks for 18 months to follow your dream. Quite a risk but it seems to be working at the moment.

I admit I have been very lucky and this plan may take a while to work for you, as the property market seems to have peaked in the UK at the moment. Failing that do what everyone else suggests and GET A JOB!

:ok:

FlyMD-12
1st Sep 2005, 00:39
Working Hard= 450US$ Monthly (in a Shop!) I'll need 10 years to make enough money! :( + Some of my Friends will make Fun of me.

What else can I do?

I don't want to attend the University :D and my dad don't want to pay (Even a cent)....... I was a clever student but the University is the wrong place for me.

Mattd2k: First you should have the money to buy a House! I guess soon you'll start a Real Estate Company :ok: $$$$$ ;)

Tonic Please
1st Sep 2005, 08:56
I teach Jazz Piano. £20 an hour. I have 21 students, and that increases about one a week or perhaps 3-5 a month. I live at home, am 20yrs, and dont spend money on smoking, drinking, brand labels for clothes, 'cool' phones, 'hip' MP3 players etc..

I buy what I need to buy, and never impulse buy. I guess when you want something enough (since I was three to be a pilot) you'll do anything. I have the PPL, but next is CPL, Multi, Instrument and I might do a float plane too considering i train in Canada and my PPL is Canadian with no intention to fly in England. Sh!t weather, and bloody expensive.

I've got everything planned and am on my way up, so do the same. Get a job, be imaginative! And don't get a loan.

I also never use my car when I don't need to and walk instead.

All saves money :)

Good luck. Dan.

Farrell
1st Sep 2005, 10:44
Find a niche market for something that you can do;

I saw a lack of a dedicated English language training for pilots in France........one happy pilot, went from flying Regionals to Widebodies, then he told his friends about it, they told their friends, who told their friends......and the money started coming in.

smith
1st Sep 2005, 16:02
"Getting a job" seems to be the standard reply here, however, I have a very good job and still could not afford that kind of money all in one go. I too sold my house to raise the money.

If it was just so easy as "to get a job" to make the money to pay for your training we'd all be doing it. If I was to pay for my training with the excess on my annual salary that I didn't spend, it would take me umpteen years to go through the training.

The answer here should be "get a lone and save every last button you can get your hands on!"

Tonic Please
1st Sep 2005, 17:30
I stand by my opinion that a loan is not the best thing to do. It certainly IS the quickest solution (so is playing the lottery every week.. dont play a little, play a loto!) is that the old nonsense slogan?

En plus, I think that personally one would be more proud of themselves for making more of an effort by working and getting where they are instead of saying the money was thrown into my lap and I fly 737s at 21 years old :\

All of that is not to say there is no hard work in the training as its very time consuming, brain consuming and sacrificable (?) but it doesn't change the point of my post.

:ouch:

I could get a loan now...but I'm only 20. I'm in a rush by all means, but all I am needing to do is, having taught Jazz (and a bit of English in France where I am now untl Sept 22) is to continue teaching jazz, getting some good money and keeping my expenditure down, and bugger off to do it.

I train in Canada so its 2.3 times cheaper, many do it in Florida. has the Topic Starter thought about JAR licences from Florida? Quicker (weather), cheaper and probably a lot more "eye" satisfying than England (to some).

Just my opinion. I'm not trying to rule the world.

:hmm:

geraldn
1st Sep 2005, 19:51
tonic please,
i hardly think getting a loan is like playing the lotto ,if anything it is a calculated risk since some of us have arrived till a certain stage in our training and have found out that unless we get some money pronto we have no other option than get another job and stick with it.
if you are going to manage to do it the way u said ,then good luck to u since u seem to have planned it out well.

i seem to empathise with smith,
i have worked hard for my money but have now come up short for the rest of my training after finishing my atpl's and time is certainly an issue.

regards G.N.

Tonic Please
1st Sep 2005, 20:12
Thank you. Yourself too.

I had meant to give the idea of seperate ideas regarding the lottery and loans. The link you mention is correct and I agree, but I really meant to imply that they are (could) be both ways of getting money quick, with the underlying point that its quite a nice feeling when you say you worked for something instead of money coming in with the help of a phone call or, if you have luck, a nice lottery win.

Better? :confused:
Of course, in your situation at ATPL level, a loan is a help..I was talking with the beginner (poster) in mind too.

Best of luck. You're further than me!

geraldn
2nd Sep 2005, 02:15
No problem tonic, i fully understand your point regarding getting satisfaction when u actually would have worked for your money,but as stated for some it is not an option.
i just was abit ticked off that people were vaguely saying "work for it" when we all know that if that was an option we would.

Anyway, i may be further than u as u said ,but once u get your atpl's u will realise there are a few more hoops u have to jump through, so dont give up,we will all get there in the end

good luck :ok:

FlyMD-12
10th Sep 2005, 23:58
There was a story about 19 y.o. who paid every thing using Creadit Cards and he has just a part time job..

My Q is: How could he pay 35K and the Bank didn't stop the Creadit Card?

A.F.A.I.K. If someone didn't pay his Creadit Cards Bills in 3 months he goes to Jail.....

I'M NOT READY TO LOSS MY DREAM.... I'll try everything possible.

Sorry :)

jetrider757
11th Sep 2005, 08:08
Only seems like yesterday I was confronted with this dilemma and for me the only way was get a job and earn it. Sure, if your older and have assets such as a property, then sell it. Was different in my day - I did a desk job and paid to build hours over nearly 4 yrs, then 4 yrs instructing and then airline. Just walked in thru the door after an 11hr night flight earning my cash from the left hand seat. Just remember it wont happen in a week and my heart goes out to all you guys struggling.

The industry has got it all wrong and the cost to the individual is ridiculous - spend £70,000 plus and you'll be lucky to earn £30,000 as a new f/o. However, I think a pilot shortage is on the way and hopefully salaries will go up. I digress ! The bottom line as I see it chaps ;

1. earn it
2. save it
3. borrow some
4. pick good training
5. go do it

It takes years so don't give up. Even after a really hideous night flight, I wouldn't want to do anything else.

Frank Furillo
11th Sep 2005, 14:14
Out of interest FlyMD-12 how old are you?
I am 35 (36 in November boo hoo) and finally after over 20 years are following my dream. Is it bloody hard???? you bet.
The thing is this, there is no easy way to get money, you are young and have your life ahead of you. You apear to live in America?? well you will be happy to hear that the cost of flying is cheaper there. So this is what I would do if I were you. get two jobs or as many as you can handle, save every cent you can, sell the car, your computer everything can be replaced, don't eat a McDonalds, Wendys etc. Take flying lessons, one a month if thats all you can afford. Ask at the local airfield if you can do odd jobs. Clean aircraft, sweep up etc.... Do not let your Pride and ego get in the way. Never, ever give in, ever.....
I had to wait until I was 33 to follow my dream, one that started when I was 11 by the way. I sold my house, my Wifes car, cashed in my pension and insurance all with no guarantee of a job at the end. I don't regret this one bit, I have had a lot of fun in my life and am glad that I am finally doing somthing I wanted to do.
FF

WindSheer
11th Sep 2005, 15:13
I am 26 and have a mortgage and a full time job. There is no way on this earth that I can afford to pay for my flying alongside my house.
So, I am going to take a career break, re-mortgage for some of the cash - take out a loan for the rest and go to cabair or somewhere for the full time atpl. Whilst I am away I have to come up with a plan to keep my darling girlfriend in our home by paying the mortgage!! I can then come back to my job once finished, and prey that i can get a job within 12 months or so - or the brown stuff will hit the spinning thing!!

If you want it bad enough, you will do anything - I am going to!!
:{

revilo_rehsif
10th Oct 2005, 12:54
rob a bank

:ok:

On a more serious note, if you want to earn, and have a good, flexible and temporary job, get in touch with a staff agency in your local area, they will have all sorts of jobs. The will however be extremely tedious, and you can often work the graveyard shift for 1.5 pay time, imagine packing boxes at 2.00 in the morning :zzz:

BlueRobin
10th Oct 2005, 18:51
Ello ello, long tiem since I posted here and the help seems to have gone down hill!

Let's make up for that shall we?

Okay, assuming you're UK-based, can one still get that unsecured £15k HSBC professional development loan?

Which institution do CTC use to finance their £60k bond on a deferred loan?

I'm fortunate to have enough cash to make a start after 5 years hard-ish saving. But a financial gap has to be plugged.

Must get that Class 1 first ;)

Preston Watson
11th Oct 2005, 11:08
Other options could be to get an instructor rating once you've got your CPL to get some hours built on for free. You could also use your PPL privelages and take some friends up with you and slipt the costs with them if you need to build up the hours for the CPL.

You may also be able to get an unsecured loan if you put a good enough case foward about the market being good for pilots.

On another note, if you decide to fly in USA, some of the airlines ask that you have a degree as well.

fox13wfd
11th Oct 2005, 14:10
rob a bank perhaps

Mercenary Pilot
11th Oct 2005, 14:14
I wouldnt bother robbing the HSBC, everyones already done it!:p :ok:

Prophead
15th Oct 2005, 00:15
I cannot believe there are so many people on here who obviously have internet access and are not making money online.

I started doing this a year ago to pay for my PPL and hopefully maybe contribute towards my CPL/ATPL.

However i am now earning more than i probably would as a pilot, i work from home and am seriously considering flying only for fun now instead (Ill still get the ATPL but dont think i could take the hassle of a full time job again).

Anyway you dont have to put as much effort into it as i have, but you could certainly earn enough to contribute towards your training.

BEWARE THOUGH!!! There are literally thousands of conmen out there promising to teach you or set you up for a fee, most of these systems wont work. Take it from me, i wasted some money at first because i didnt know what i was doing.

I wont put any links on here because it is not that kind of forum, however if anyone is thinking of doing this pm me and i will tell you some things that will work for you and what to avoid like the plague.

Regards

Mike