PDA

View Full Version : On-going WLAN Saga (with new gear)

joe2812
30th Aug 2005, 18:50
I've changed my router to a BT Voyager 2100 in the hope of getting some support from BT if it goes wrong.

The router installation is pretty simple... the guide says that you basically plug it in and switch it on and thats it. I did this and all was well i.e. all the correct lights were doing the correct thing at the correct time.

My laptop has a Dell Wireless WLAN 1450 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card however I decided to install the Wireless Laptop Adapter card (BT Voyager 1060) also just to ensure that the stuff I have is compatible.

Followed the guide for that and installed it fine. I now have two wireless network connections; the Dell and the BT.

I disabled the Dell one to ensure that i'm using the BT card to connect however it isn't picking up the network.

The instructions merely say '...when you are connected to BTVOYAGER2100...' which isn't very useful if you can't connect!

Could there perhaps be some conflict on my laptop? Or is the problem more sinister? The guide suggests that I should simply be able to pick u pthe network after plugging it in... but as is usually the case with me, it's never that simple is it!

Any help much appreciated!

joe2812
31st Aug 2005, 10:49
Further to my wee problems...

I am picking up a wireless network via both the Dell and BT adapters, except the only network i'm getting is the wrong one.

I installed the Belkin kit a couple of weeks ago (link here) (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185792) and now it's picking up the Belkin network!

How can this be?! The Belkin stuff is uninstalled and back at Dixons, surely my range is not that far!! I have managed to connect to the net through the new modem via Ethernet so i've got that sorted. Now it's just the small matter of picking up the wireless network.

... if that makes sense... :confused:

BEagle
31st Aug 2005, 11:55
Well, I would uninstall the BT Voyager 2100 software, then system restore to the day before you installed the Belkin.

Then update your antivirus and operating systems as necessary.

Then re-install the BT Voyager 2100 software.

Then link your Dell mini-PCI card to the BT Voyager 2100 - you don't need the 1060 and it's probable that both you and your computer are getting confused.

I've been using a BT Voyager 2000 (the previous model to yours) with my 2 Dell laptops for some time now - and all works just fine.

joe2812
31st Aug 2005, 14:07
BEagle - thanks for your reply.

I have done as suggested, the BT 1060 has been removed completely so i'm now just running the Dell PCI card.

Also restored to the point before the Belkin stuff was put in however i'm still only picking up a Belkin network.

Could it just be a coincidence maybe that someone nearby has a network running? Although I find that unlikely!

I've connected to the routers IP and wireless if definately on (the light gave that away anyway), so if it's creating the network, why am I not picking it up? Could it perhaps be an 'invisible' network if there is such a thing?

Buttino
31st Aug 2005, 14:35
Re: picking up another belkin network - If I take my laptop into the garden I see two belkin wireless networks. Some people can't be bothered to change the default SSID which makes it ever so easy to guess the default admin password!

Don't worry about seeing the belkin network.

Now this leads me to another point. Your original problem could be due to your ap and the other belkin ap clashing. I'd be willing to bet the other belkin network is broadcasting on the same channel as yours did - if that was the case then yours would never work correctly.

joe2812
2nd Sep 2005, 19:41
Buttino and BEags...

Thanks for your help... after fiddling again with what you've suggested i've got things working and can now happily download away in secret in my bedroom.

Many thanks guys :)

PhilM
6th Sep 2005, 16:49
Lads,

I recently picked up a cheap VOyager 2100 router, but it didn't come witha power supply, could anyone do me a favour and have alook for me to see the output? (I think tis 16v DC @ 1A), would be great if someone could confirm!

Many thanks

spekesoftly
6th Sep 2005, 20:28
From BT's product specifications - Voyager 2100

Power Requirement:-

AC Input Voltage: 220V
Frequency: 50/60Hz
Output: 16VDC / 1A
Consumption: <10W