PDA

View Full Version : Simulator training

Nordic airline pilot
30th Aug 2005, 08:58
I am looking for a good program for my PC which I can use to train IFR proficiency.

I have tried Microsoft FS 2004 before and I think its not good enough to train multible IFR approaches.

Anybody know a good software to buy?
I have heard something about ELITE flight sim, is it good?

Richard

fmgc
30th Aug 2005, 09:02
Have a look here (http://www.transair.co.uk/Category.asp?SID=1&Category_ID=427)

keithl
30th Aug 2005, 09:20
Richard,

I had to go through the same process of finding good training software a few years ago. After quite extensive searching I found that, at the level at which I was teaching, RANT made a good intro to Radio Aids and IF Procedures. The trouble with it is that it is mouse-controlled, so after a period on RANT, I move to the joystick-controlled Jeppesen Flitepro.

Neither is perfect, but a combination of them comes pretty close.

Vee One...Rotate
30th Aug 2005, 09:21
You might like the look of:

www.xplane.com

Good flight dynamics.

V1R

khaosanroad
30th Aug 2005, 09:58
Hello

As long as I don't get a job in a flight deck I am willing to maintain my Instrument flying skills, so whenever I can, I fly a real GA aircraft in IFR. But it is expensive and I can't do it everyday.

So I frequently use X-Plane flight simulator on my PC. I think that it is better than MS flight simulator.

what I like with X-Plane:

- very accurate instruments

- very good display both for panels and outside views

- very accurate to practice wind effects for the drift and the timings during cruising or precision approaches.

- possibility to update or input yourself ground radio aids if they are missing.

- it's easy to set the weather conditions and performing a landing to the minima is great fun.

- outstanding clouds effects.

- possibility to make the instrument panel as you want by chosing the instruments among almost all existing brands.

what I don't like with X-Plane:

- very few aricraft available

- the AP has a bug if you want to track a heading close to 000°

- the display of vertical path does not work in the instructor panel.

- aircraft are very difficult to handle and to trim without the AP

- pitch variations and rate of climb instability completly irrealistic.

Really woth flying it but whatever software you use don't forget that without an instructor on your side, you will be unaware of some mistakes you make and you can get bad habits.

Regards,

what next
30th Aug 2005, 10:36
Hello!

Regarding X-Plane:

> khaosanroad: ... very few aricraft available ...

If you look at http://www.x-plane.org you will be surprised, how many aircraft are available for x-plane! And most of them are for free, since x-plane has accumulated a very enthusiastic user community over the years.

Macintosh users like me have no other option than to use X-plane anyway...

Greetings, Max

NB: A medium-priced compromise between PC-based training at home and actual IFR-flying can be to use the flight simulator/FNPT of your local flying school at regular intervals. Many schools (including the one where I instruct) actively encourage this by offering special conditions for this type of training.