PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL in the United States

DTTogaLI
30th Aug 2005, 03:35
HI, i would like to know if is it possible to make jaa atpl in the united states?

Since they are FAA an is saw somewhere that it was possible, i would like to know how it is done and where can i do it?

In Flight Safety they do it??

jamielatham
30th Aug 2005, 06:42
Yes, there are many JAA & FAA schools in the USA, all they are is JAA Instructors, Just the same what you would get over here or in europe, just that it is cheaper to train the the USA!

I am Planning to do all my training over there, thats why i have stopped doing my PPL over here, as it is twice as dear!

The first thing you have to do is narrow your search down to a state, then break down the costs...

Feel free to PM me for more info

Hope this helps

Jay

Tinstaafl
30th Aug 2005, 16:06
Not quite correct. To be a JAA school the organisation must be approved by a JAA member regulatory body eg the UK's CAA et al. Very few of the US schools are also a JAA school.

That doesn't mean that training at a non-approved (read 'non JAA') school won't count towards the total experience needed for the issue of a licence, but at some point you will have to attend a JAA approved school to receive training.

The UK's CAA website has a page that lists approved training organisations.

DTTogaLI
30th Aug 2005, 21:26
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_APPROVEDFTOS.PDF

Thanks

Look's like flight safety academy as no JAA courses.

Anyone know other school as good as flight safety academy, cause I heard that flight safety was the best in the us.

Even if it's not JAA, would it compensate to study for FAA in flight safety and make the conversion later..?

gaypilote
1st Sep 2005, 13:04
i was looking an see delta connection academy is good and has jaa, in florida. www.deltaconnectionacademy.com

jamielatham
1st Sep 2005, 16:30
Yeah, Delta do JAA courses, But they are the American Verison of OAT, they are quite dear! Compared to Other flight schools in America...

Jay

BillieBob
1st Sep 2005, 17:48
Delta Connection Academy are not now, and never have been, approved to provide JAA courses, as a number of people have found out to their cost.

DCA used to act as a sub-contractor to Atlantic Flight Training, providing accommodation, aircraft and instructors to support AFT's training activities at Sanford but, apart from the PPL(A), AFT no longer trains in the US.

The information on the DCA website is pure fiction, the company does not hold any JAA approvals, there is no such thing as a 'Satellite Approval' and, in any case, AFT is no longer approved to conduct anything other than PPL(A) courses at Sanford. One has to question whether it is wise to trust one's money to an organisation that goes in for such blatantly false advertising.

Keygrip
1st Sep 2005, 20:29
I think, in fairness to DCA, they probably are not aware that they are not approved (and never have been).

Whilst BillieBob is 100% in his/her posting - there's a also a certain amount of pedantry in it.

It's true that DCA have never been approved - but it's equally true that there was a time when you could do approved training at DCA. Is there a difference - technically, yes (a big one).

Bottom line is that you can no longer do approved training at DCA (other than PPL) - but DCA themselves may not be aware of that (yet - they will be shortly after my next telephone call).

Indeed, DCA telephoned me today to ask if I would go up there for two months, or so, and teach the remaining students (the ones who have been caught in all the mess of the DCA/AFT contract nightmare).

They (DCA) still believe that they can still conduct CPL training.

Maybe somebody should explain all this technically pedantic stuff in words of one syllable.

Turkish777
1st Sep 2005, 20:38
That would help me Keygrip if you came to DCA, as I have no idea where I'm going to do my CPL at the moment and didnt really fancy going to Canada like the rest of the guys. :ok:

Keygrip
1st Sep 2005, 21:36
But......as BillieBob and I both said, "DCA is not an option".

You CANNOT do approved training (above PPL) at DCA.

If you want to stay in Florida it's Orlando Flight Training, European Flight Training or Naples Air Center.

Each one has its good points - each one has its bad points - each one has its very bad points.

If you want any of them, get on and have your visa transferred and go on their waiting list.

Your only other option on the Western side of the Atlantic Ocean is the Canada run - similar prices, procedures much more like the UK and no visa requirements.

Turkish777
1st Sep 2005, 22:06
OK thanks Keygrip, understood. I thought as you were CAA approved then the circumstances were slightly different, but as you both said the 'school' itself must be approved..shows how much I know about the JAR Regs..think I will wait to hear the feed back from the other guys before making a choice..

Cheers

sexygirl
2nd Sep 2005, 12:38
Why not get back over to London you cockney sparrow?

Turkish777
2nd Sep 2005, 13:46
Because Im in the 'Greatest Country In The World'.......allegedly.....:E

1800-how'smyflying
2nd Sep 2005, 14:28
send the ginny pigs up first eh Turkish!!

sexygirl
2nd Sep 2005, 16:33
Ginny ?!?! You boyz still on the lash back in the Motherland I see!! Give my best to Ma Robinson
x
x

BillieBob
2nd Sep 2005, 17:03
Keygrip - It's words like 'technically' and 'pedantry' that serve to muddy the already shark-infested waters of the flight training industry. It is only by having a clear understanding of the rules under which the various training organisations are operating and who is responsible for what that customers can make reasoned decisions on who to trust with their hard-won money.

The bit you missed out was that "there was a time when you could do approved training at DCA but only as a student of AFT". It is also true, of course, that you can do a UK-approved JAA course at the Sabena Academy in Scottsdale, but only as a student of OAT who sub-lease accommodation, aircraft and examiners. When OAT move on, as they most surely will, the UK approval goes with them.

The idea that the management of a supposedly professionally run organisation does not understand the rules under which it operates, suggests commercial incompetence of a staggering degree. An even better reason to avoid DCA than the duplicity that I had previously assumed them to be guilty of.

Turkish777
2nd Sep 2005, 19:28
Yeah is Ginny Irish for the English word 'Guinea'...Hows Canada?

email:[email protected]

Excuse the cheesy email address...

sexygirl
2nd Sep 2005, 22:26
Think you'll find that Guinea in Gaelic is 'ginny'!!!

1800-how'smyflying
3rd Sep 2005, 02:30
Turkish you've got more chance of becoming an f/o on a triple7 then there is of me emailing you.

clarityinthemurk
7th Sep 2005, 16:06
There seems to be a general problem with schools in north america. Why is this?

Even an ad hoc survey of schools receiving the most negative press here would suggest that these schools are those bashed most frequently and most intensely. Comment?

pointedinfinity
7th Sep 2005, 20:28
Keygrip - I have noted in this and other threads your support for a particular school in Canada. Some people, including me, would take this type of endorsement as influential in deciding where to go. This school has produced some really bad experiences. See the link to a recent thread below.

So, would you care to declare any vested interest in making such recommendation?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=185637

Keygrip
8th Sep 2005, 07:47
So, would you care to declare any vested interest in making such recommendation? Nope. The problem you have with that attempt at muck raking is that I don't have a vested interest in that school - or any other. It's just my personal opinion based on having seen EVERY school in the USA CPL training system - current or gone.

I haven't followed your link - I'm well aware of your history with the school and my comments in response to your previous postings are best kept to myself. You wouldn't like them - certainly not aired in public.