PDA

View Full Version : Xiamen

pantyripper
30th Aug 2005, 03:19
Anyone know how to pronounce Xiamen???
cheers

tinpis
30th Aug 2005, 04:37
Xiamen[shyA´mun´] Pronunciation Key or Amoy[Amoi´] Pronunciation Key, city (1994 est. pop. 458,000), S Fujian prov., China, on Xiamen island, at the mouth of the Jiulong River. It has an excellent natural harbor and is connected to the mainland by a railroad (built 1957) that crosses on a dike. Fishing, shipbuilding, food processing, and tanning are the major industries; machine tools and chemicals are also manufactured. Xiamen has been designated a special economic development city, in part because of its key position across the Taiwan Strait from Taiwan. Opposite Xiamen proper, across the inner harbor, is the island of Gulangxu, the former foreign settlement and a fine residential section. Xiamen was one of the earliest seats of European commerce in China, with Portuguese (16th cent.) and Dutch (17th cent.) establishments. It was captured (1841) by the British in the Opium War and became a treaty port in 1842. It was long a Chinese port of emigration, mainly to SE Asia. Xiamen Univ. is there.

pantyripper
30th Aug 2005, 10:26
interesting....cheers:ok:

VR-HFX
30th Aug 2005, 14:09
Tinpis

You forgot to mention...home of TAECO (sister of HAECO) the largest aircraft maintenance facility in Asia.

moosp
31st Aug 2005, 16:03
If you do not read phonetics, the Xi is pronounced as a "shee" as in the word "banshee" of the NAM Indian variety. To a trained ear it has a bit more aspiration, but it is close. The following "a" is long as in "are". Men are men the world over...

tinpis
3rd Sep 2005, 02:06
Hey ! mods I DID NOT post the above ! !
:mad:

404 Titan
3rd Sep 2005, 02:29
tinpis

Go to your home page and change your password straight away. I sometimes use computers in hotels when I am at work. I always always delete cookies, delete files, clear the history and clear passwords when I have finished.

tinpis
3rd Sep 2005, 04:22
Yers ta done that ...I just wonder what silly bugger would want to post as me ? :hmm:

BlueEagle
3rd Sep 2005, 10:55
Oh come now tinpis, it was a very erudite and educational post, you should be flattered!:}