PDA

View Full Version : 100% CPU usage

TimS
29th Aug 2005, 09:26
As ever - only here 'cos I found a problem I don't know what to do with !

Friend's computer running slowly - done the usual spyware and defrag stuff to no avail, but have identified that CPU is running at 100% usage for at least 90% of the time - all other system usage stats low.

Any suggestions what I should look at ?

rotorcraig
29th Aug 2005, 09:47
First you need to determine which process(es) are using all the CPU.

Ctrl-Alt-Del and look at Processes in Windows Task Manager.

RC

spannersatcx
29th Aug 2005, 09:52
Assuming it's XP! press ctrl alt del to get the task manager up and see what processes are running. Press user name to sort them into what/who is running what. Find the processes running under the user name close down each one until you can see which one was hogging the processor. Do Not shut down explorer.exe or taskmgr.exe

DomFel
30th Aug 2005, 07:43
Use HijackThis (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html), and post the log, I might be able to help you out.

TimS
30th Aug 2005, 23:30
Sorry for delay in responding - have been travelling since original post.

I should have clarified, nothing running in 'task manager' other than the system monitor.

The problem suddenly cleared up after about 30 - 40 minutes after initially booting (but reoccurs when rebooted).

Thanks Domfel - am revisiting later in the week and will run Hijack and forward

amanoffewwords
31st Aug 2005, 08:02
Is he/she running AVG?

If so they may have a task called awg.exe that might be taking up resources.

amofw

Conan the Librarian
31st Aug 2005, 10:45
I have seen an old PC misbehave somewhat like this before. It was an MSI mothrboard, if memory is not faulty this morning...

Thing boots up but there is a "suite" of MSI tools that monitor various operating conditions, but it sometimes seems that they get into something of a tizz and appear to start looping, such that in a few seconds the CPU activity indicator goes critical and the machine then locked up.

I wonder if this is something that might be happening with yours? Thing is, that before Windows starts proper ( and thus loads and then reports processes in the Task Manager) the whole shooting match has effectively seized up?

Unlikely I know, but if it IS an MSI Mobo, then this might help you flag the culprit.

Conan