PDA

View Full Version : Chances of getting an Interview with Cathay

jet328
27th Aug 2005, 15:07
I am on a voluntary furlough (for personal reasons) from a US LCC that is not doing well. When I return from VF I will be pushed back to the right seat. I would love to fly for Cathay. What are the chances of getting an interview with being away from flying since Jan. 05? Total time is just under 4000 with about 2700 jet PIC, 700 turbo-prop SIC and two types (DO-328jet and CL-65)?

Medwin
27th Aug 2005, 22:57
Not a chance in the world mate.

BlueEagle
28th Aug 2005, 00:26
Please tell us, what makes you say that?

Looks like a potential DEFO to me, particularly once he is current again.

jet328
28th Aug 2005, 01:27
I was also wondering why I would not have a "chance in the world". The majority of my flying was in the NE of the US out of Boston and NY. I have only been out of the left seat since Jan and I have a good ratio of TT to PIC Jet. Currency could be a problem because the rumor mills has it that anorther round of furloughs are comming down the pike soon and it might reach my number which would take away my right if return. If anyone else has some input I would appreciate it.

Kenny
28th Aug 2005, 02:27
jet328,

Don't mind Medwin, he's a tad bitter and jaded about CX.

Anyway you'll find that competition here in the US is, to say the least, fierce. The last time I spoke to the ladies in Flightcrew Recruitment, and this was in April, they said that to have a chance at a DEFO slot in the US you had to have at least 5500TT and over 4000 Turbine. They're getting that without any problems by the looks of things.

Your time would put you at the top of the DESO pool, although there have been exceptions, from what I have seen.

The best thing to do is simply apply and see what happens.

Kenny.

petitfromage
28th Aug 2005, 04:10
There is a recruiting requirement to be in a current flying job.
Not sure how rigorously it is applied.
You must have a current MEIR and take you logbooks to the interviews.

Concur with the above post though. On the face of it, I think youd be most likely to get offered a DESO position.

Dont take my/our words for it though.... send an email to [email protected], she will let you know where you stand officially.

Carol is the DEFO recruiter.

Night Watch
28th Aug 2005, 05:02
When i joined my sim buddy hadn't flown in over a year..... and he did just fine. jet328 give it a go.... i'm sure you wont have any problems.

EngineOut
30th Aug 2005, 16:58
With 4000 TT, and 2700 Jet PIC, may I ask how you got a jet command with 1300 TT??

jet328
31st Aug 2005, 19:30
That does lool a bit strange. The 7 should be a 0. Up graded with about 2000 TT. Fast upgrades back then. NO LONGER. Sorry for the mistake but a good catch. Did not mean to misrepresent my time or experience.

moon_towers
1st Sep 2005, 12:04
Dude,

Just fill the form and keeping up date...and call CDH
Hope it works...

bye bye CX

PRN 1045X:sad:

Mr Hankey
15th Sep 2005, 08:21
They very rarely emply US pilots on the pax fleet. They don't really work. There are probably only 5-10 out of 2000 crew.

deceptibum
15th Sep 2005, 15:14
I was just curious about that last comment. I'm a US pilot and have passed the first DESO interview and the second is coming up soon. Is there something hidden that I don't know?

Mr Hankey
16th Sep 2005, 00:12
First of all, I wish you luck!

The truth of the matter is that the UK airline style culture in CX does not like the "woo-hoo" American w*nker type of personality . OK, I know this may not be popular but it's true! There are no ...."american, americans" in the CX pax fleet , those that are there are worldy and quietly spoken. One American guy got sacked recently for his ...personality/attitude ....I think. I have also been told by someone who does the interviews that the technical and "world" knowledge of US pilots is often disapointing.

There are plently of Yanks in the freighter fleet, but that is a different story.

(Also! As they say in the classics ..."don't mention the war!".)

arryboy
16th Sep 2005, 02:19
and if you believe any of what Mr W#nkey has to say, well, I guess you'll believe anything..................Plenty of flyers from all over North America in cathay, and getting sacked for personality/Attitude?? well, possible, but related to Nationality??, No way..........................Lots of Americans on the freighter fleet.?? yes sir Massa but dem boys only gotta dun 3 years then they transplanted to de pax fleet.As for the "worldly, quietly spoken Americans" on the pax fleet................I guess Mr W#nkey don't ever go out to play........................

As for technical & "world"?? knowledge, well, I know a lot of people who can't name all eight of santa's reindeer, or all seven dwarfs but ask the about C of G position for best econ and stuff and they have all the answers.....................

If you want to get into Cathay and do the prep for the interview, Nationality is irrelevant, Know your stuff, do a good sim ride and you'll be visiting Hong Kong on a boringly repetative basis, but, the pay check comes on time every month and they can't steal your retirement fund..............................

Corny
16th Sep 2005, 16:37
The truth of the matter is that the UK airline style culture in CX does not like the "woo-hoo" American w*nker type of personality

Well written Mr Hanky.

Hopefully CX will remain as un-soiled as possible by those maladroit and ruthlessly abnoxious creatures called "Americans".

They're simply devoid of professional standards and charm!

Cheers!

deceptibum
16th Sep 2005, 17:51
I can generally agree with you on your view of the American stereotype. Although a huge majority, please don't think that we are all like that. There are always exceptions.

bigbeerbelly
17th Sep 2005, 01:53
I'm at the same company as jet328 and I have been trying to get an interview for over a year now at CX. I have spoken to Carol De la Harpe several times, on the phone and in person. I am a dual citizen (very worldly) and still can not get the call. CDH says that unfortunately my time is not competetive at the moment. (6000TT 4500PIC 4500Turbine 3500 Turbine PIC) Unfortunately, CX really doesn't care to much about PIC or SIC. It is all about type of equipment or operations. The secret is out and everyone knows CX is great now. Unfortunately, there are thousands of furloughed heavy jet operators that are more what CX is looking for than RJ captains. She did say these competetive mins change quickly and keep updating, but my impression is that I am too experienced to be considered for SO and not enough experience to be DEFO. I made it clear SO or FO doesn't matter to me, I just want to work for CX. The best advice I can give Jet328 is quit your RJ job, get some heavy time at one of the not so popular jet operators, and you will get called very soon.
Good luck,
BBB

Mr Hankey
17th Sep 2005, 10:56
Arryboy and others, you may not like the truth but facts are facts. There are very few US pax crew in CX. Fact. The last one I knew got sacked just before his FO upgrade, and it WAS for "personality/attitude". Fact. As I said there are US crew in CX freighters but very few in pax. Fact.
CX does take technical knowledge very seriously and I have been told by an "interviewer" that they interview many American crew but few have the technical knowledge to backup their experience. (quote/unquote). There are also plently of interview questions regarding what I'll call "world" knowledge and the same results ensues.
So you may not like it but facts are facts and I am actually trying to help these guys.

Aryboy, you're going to need attitude adjustment if you want to move over from the freighters.

arryboy
17th Sep 2005, 14:41
has it ever occurred that I amy be happy whereI am ???

BBN RADAR
19th Sep 2005, 05:43
As I said there are US crew in CX freighters but very few in pax. Fact.
CX does take technical knowledge very seriously and I have been told by an "interviewer" that they interview many American crew but few have the technical knowledge to backup their experience. (quote/unquote).

So, does this mean that CX relax their very high standards for technical knowledge when it comes to hiring for the freighter fleet?? I find it hard to believe that CX would let someone fly their 744 worth hundreds of millions if that person did not know his stuff...

Or am I missing something else here?

Does CX have to relax their standards to actually keep the aircraft flying in the US? I would have a good laugh (albeit, nervous) if that was so.

QNH1013
20th Sep 2005, 04:59
There are also plently of interview questions regarding what I'll call "world" knowledge

What is world knowledge exactly? Do you mean Geography or another term for General Knowledge?

great southern land
20th Sep 2005, 05:58
Mr. Hankey. Not sure what to make of your comments. Hope it's a wind-up...but suspect it is not. :bored: Regardless, uncalled for and generally offensive. Let's see, Americans are stupid: 1. Moon landing (...hmm...almost 40years ago). 2. More Nobel prizes than any other nation. 3. The best Universities in the world. 4. Dominate the computer/software industry. 5. Worlds largest retailers. 6. Developed the Atom bomb in 24 months (I would argue the best invention of the 20th century, kept the general peace for going on 60 years now). 7. Build the best aircraft, both civil and military. 8. Have the most well developed 'sense' of responsiblity towards the world wellbeing (...i'm sure that will elicit some comment..;) ). 9. Worlds strongest and best economy. ....well, you get the idea. You don't have to like the place or people, but how about not categorising them as 'loud' and 'ignorant' hicks....? Although I am quite happy being an 'ozmate'....I have to be objective and admit that I have a grudging admiration for the country and it's people. Besides, would rather have a few more of them than any more Canadians....!!! :E (kidding...:p )

FYI
20th Sep 2005, 06:00
Mr Hankey,

Generally speaking, I would say that you are full of s###te. Not knowing you though, I guess I can't know for sure, but would guess that some personally held prejudices blind your ability to look at some "facts".

Perhaps you aren't aware that the freight side and the pax side are all on one CX seniority list (aside from the remaining ASL crew). The pilots who join via the DEFO scheme onto the freighter, join "CX" and have to go through the same hoops as those who go through the SO interview process joining onto the pax side of the operation. Once onto line training, they undergo the standard CX training, and if they aren't up to scratch, I guess CX let them go. It seems that alot of the guys/gals are up to it (do a search on the US based freighter crews list in Crew Direct) and then also make a mental note as to how many "Nth Americans" will be flying with you on the CX pax fleet in the next couple of years (if you let them). Or perhaps you weren't aware that after 3 years or so, the freighter pilots can slide over onto the pax fleet (all without having to do another interview on worldly or technical knowledge!!)....as Arryboy has already pointed out to you.

Arryboy, I guess you better let C.Control know roughly when you're scheduled to move over to the pax fleet (if you decide thats what you want) so that they can schedule you in for the "Attitude adjustment" session that Mr Hankey is running. I believe the afternoon session is also a "world knowledge" session, followed by some a sim work by Mr Hankey, displaying his unbelievable natural abilities....while simultaneously being able to answer any "technical" questions you may need answered before being allowed by Mr Hankey, to operate on the pax fleet.