PDA

View Full Version : Miami

Airbus Girl
26th Aug 2005, 14:11
I've tried search option but...
Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere good to rent aircraft around Miami area?
Or anywhere else in Florida that is good?
Also, can anyone recommend anywhere with JAA instructor?
Thanks!

Keygrip
26th Aug 2005, 14:30
Can I ask you "Why Miami?" (you live there, or flying in across the Atlantic - what?).

Can I also ask "What do you want the JAA instructor for?"

It all makes a BIG difference to the answers that you require.

PM if you prefer - or just tell us, Why Miami and Why a JAA INstructor?

gazman21
26th Aug 2005, 16:55
hey airbusgirl

good place to rent is called dean international based in tamiami kendall airport.They are a FAA only flight school with nice aircraft.Should find them with google....rented an airplane off them few months back to fly about the bahamas for a few days,paradise!

AndyDRHuddleston
26th Aug 2005, 18:28
A friend of mine has been renting through flymiami.com. They have C172's new and old and ones with some having Garmin G1000, and autopilots. I believe they pay $3 per gallon for fuel reimbursement too.

B2N2
26th Aug 2005, 21:19
Onfortunately, Hurricane Katrina took out 25 aiplanes at Kendall Tamiami.
Not sure whose they are, the schools might have had them all stored away.
I think there are 4 or 5 schools at Tamiami alone.
Try www.airnav.com
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KTMB
scroll to the bottom.
It's not an all-inclusive list since you have to pay to display your banner but it's a start.
:ok:

Airbus Girl
27th Aug 2005, 19:55
Flying into Miami for a few days, so doesn't have to be Miami but don't want to drive to the other end of the state!

Not just me going, need a JAA school to get a renewal flight on a JAA PPL and possibly some JAA flight instruction, although not sure on rules - ie. not sure if FAA instructor session counts towards a JAA PPL.

Keygrip
27th Aug 2005, 21:24
No - AG - an FAA instructor is not qualified to do this flight with you.

Nearest JAA for MIA would be Naples Air Center in - would you believe - Naples. A short flight across from MIA area (Westbound).

The ONLY person there that is qualified to do what you need is Andrew. Call 1 800 226 4000, extension 210.

If you fancy a run of about an hour North from Miami drop me a line and I'll help you with what you need.

Change to PM if you wish.

Enjoy Florida.

<<edit: Read this thread in Private Flying (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=186903) to get the full story on what you need to do.>>

DesiPilot
28th Aug 2005, 05:16
Keygrip,

I do not agree that Andrew is the only qualified person there.

If AD is looking for one hour flight with a JAA instructor, there are a few instructors who have done standardisation training. I believe CAA has recently approved Sery's standardisation training as well.

However, I do agree that Andrew is the only person there who can sign the required paper work. Of course she can always go to you for signature as long as she can prove the usual flying/training requirements :D

Keygrip
28th Aug 2005, 13:38
An FAA (only) rated flying instructor is NOT authorised to carry out the 1hour flight required for revalidation of a JAA licence.

NEITHER is any FAA (only) rated flying instructor who has (or has not) been standardised, approved, authorised - whatever - to teach JAA.

For the purposes of revalidation of the rating (JAR FCL 1) the flight must be done with a JAA RATED (not approved, or authorised - RATED) flying instructor.

There was (is?) some French guy there (forgoten his name) who had completed a JAA qualification - but considering the required signature too, the only person AG wants to deal with (if she does go to NAC as recommended) is Andrew.

Seri is NOT authorised to carry out the 1hr flight.

Airbus Girl
29th Aug 2005, 07:27
Slight crossed wires here.
I know that a JAA isntructor is required for a JAA PPL flight but not sure if FAA instruction would count towards a JAA PPL for a JAA PPL (training in the UK) student pilot.

Keygrip
29th Aug 2005, 12:03
That's why I posed the questions(s)Can I also ask "What do you want the JAA instructor for?" If someone is looking for the 1hour flight that counts towards revalidation by experience - then they must have a fully JAA rated flying instructor.

If someone wishes to do addittional training towards a partly completed PPL then I would say that the FAA instructor (if standardised and approved at that school [and you will have no way of knowing]) can teach towards the PPL.

However, it's likely that the school will teach things differently to what the student has already been taught in the UK (and will have a 100% FAA and 0% JAA bias) - which may turn out to be more of a hinderance than a help or cost saving.

The question of doing any instruction really comes back to "What do you want it for". A serious lesson towards the PPL or an opportunity to have a pleasant flight around Florida but still log it.