PDA

View Full Version : HKG SO>USA Freighter FO>USA Freighter CA>USA Pax CA???

Rosco P. Coltrane
25th Aug 2005, 19:53
Is it possible to transition from a pax SO living in HKG to a US based freighter FO, then US freighter CA then US pax CA?

If so, when you go from SO to FO, do you go to year one FO pay but still hold a position on the command seniority list reflecting the date of joining?

Can you eventually go from a US-based 747F CA to a US-based 747 pax ca by waiting a few extra years as opposed from going from the freighter to HKG to fly pax and then back to the US.

In other words, if you go to HKG as a SO, can you move back to the US with the intention of either not having to move back and forth every few years or planning on moving back to HK later in your career as a Captain?

Many thanks,

RPC

bobrun
26th Aug 2005, 05:02
I would like to add another Q. to the above...

If you're Canadian and starting as an S/O in HKG, can you eventually move to the freighter fleet? If that's an option, where would a Canadian freighter pilot be based, since there's no freighter base in Canada.

Thunderbird4
26th Aug 2005, 05:49
Roscoe, the answer to all your questions is yes. IF you take a Frieghter command you have to wait a minimum of 3 years before being able to switch to pax command ( if there is a slot for you).

Bobrun, a Canadian frieghter pilot can base himself where ever he wants (as long as he has the right to work at that base). You are right, there are no Canadian bases, so figure it out, you would have to be based in the US, Europe or OZ. Dont get confused with where you live and where you are based. This has all been discussed at length on here.

bobrun
26th Aug 2005, 13:53
Sorry if this is a repetition of other threads, but I've read all the posts and made numerous searches.......and although the issue of basing is discussed on many different threads, none of them answered my question without ambiguity.

But from what I've read, I tend to believe that a Canadian without a greencard or right of abode/work in the USA could be assigned to the freighter fleet with a base in the USA if he lives in Canada and commutes to his base. Is this correct??

Again, sorry if this was addressed in other posts. Thank you for your answers, they are greatly appreciated.

Rosco P. Coltrane
26th Aug 2005, 17:36
Thank you, Thunderbird4

Cheers,

RPC

Thunderbird4
27th Aug 2005, 04:50
bobrun,

You will not be "assigned" to the frieghter fleet. You have to choose if you want to enter CX as an SO (HKG base) or a freighter FO. If you choose the freighter route, it is up to YOU to determine the validity of your right to work at that base. CX will not assist you in work visa's permits etc. But you are right, many Canadian FO's and Capt's live in the great white north and commute to the US and/or Europe.

bobrun
27th Aug 2005, 15:56
Thunderbird4,

Thanks for the clarification. It's appreciated.

bobrun
28th Aug 2005, 17:12
If I understand correctly, when on a temp base you are still officially based in HKG, paid the same $$HKG and you keep the housing allowance.....

So, if you are still officially based in HKG, I assume it's correct to say that you don't need the right to work in that other country (unlike permanent bases), and so could bid for any of the availble temp base regardless of nationality/right of abode ??

WaveShwacker
2nd Sep 2005, 01:00
Thunderbird4 or anyone in da know,

I have a question regarding your commute comment. I fly for a US airline and jumpseating is pretty easy to grab a ride with most any airline.

How does one who flies for Cathay commute on other airlines to work?

For example:

Let's say I live in Hawaii and have to commute to either Hong Kong, LAX, or SFO? Am I able to jumpseat in the back or do I have to pay for a ZED fare on another carrier? Can I sit in the back of a Cathay flight from let's say Hong Kong to LAX for free?

Thanx in advance for your speedy response!:D

ecuk
2nd Sep 2005, 01:09
jumpseats on the 400 is 2 business class seats, pretty neat but be prepared to be moved down to cabin crew seats if the crew needs to use them (only eligible persons are allowed to apply for jumpseats). and nothing is ever for free in cathay. even if you request a cabin crew (door) seat down the back at check in (if the flight is completely full) you still have to pay ID90 economy fare, which is around 900HKG one way HKGLAX.

petitfromage
2nd Sep 2005, 03:26
Jumpseating on Cathay is not free.... you pay the equivalent of a ZED E/Y fare. You will be given an E/Y seat if one is available, only if E/Y is full will you get the jumpseat. (as previously mentioned, the jumpseat on the 744, long haul, is actually in business class seat)

The jumpseat is only available to CX staff and their immediate family (over the age of 12). It is NOT available to crew of other airlines.

You do not need right of abode for a Temporary Basing. You stay based in HKG, you keep all you HK living allowances. The only change is that you roster starts and ends at your Temp Basing port.

Temp Basings for SOs are 2 months in duration. For FOs and Capts they are up to 4months. Successive Temp Basings must be split by a complulsory period of 3months back in HKG....and are awarded in seniority order.

Re: Hawaii.
There are no direct flights from HNL to HKG. The most direct is via Taipei with China Airlines, otherwise United and Northwest fly the route via Narita and poss Continental via Guam.

Just advertised within Cathay last week we applications for current CX pilots wishing to transfer to North American freighter bases as FOs and for early commands too.
So, yes, a pax SO, can apply/transfer to freighter FO (or even apply for an early command slot!)
*Obviously all such applications are in competion with other applicants and dependant upon both your seniority, flying experience and CX checkflight history

WaveShwacker
3rd Sep 2005, 02:55
Thanx guys for all your info on jumpseating. I think it'll be a little harder than I thought. I do, however, love the Tempo basings in that you still get to keep your HKG housing dough.

I'm contemplating delaying my application with Cathay at this time b/c my girlfriend, who will be my future wife someday, needs to finish college in about 2 years. We're excited to get to Hong Kong, but I don't want to put her career on hold either.

Soooo...

What are my chances next year to apply for Cathay?
What are the expected hirings?

I'll have more CRJ 700 PIC time with about 5000 total time. Will this increase my chances of a possible DEFO slot or should I concentrate on the DESO path and stay PIC in our turbo prop?

Thanx again...you guys rock!

p.s. sorry for the drool on the taxiways @ LAX when you guys roll by in the 400!;)

arryboy
3rd Sep 2005, 05:50
I think you should talk to Flight deck recruitment and get your application in ASAP...............Firstly the sooner you apply the sooner you get a PRN (Personal reference number) you can then send in regular updates which they like every 6 months or so as it shows a continuing interest in employment with Cathay. Also when you talk to FDR you'll find from application to first interview can be anything from 6 - 9 months (assuming you get that far) then maybe 3 - 6 months before second interview in Hong Kong, assuming all that goes well you'll probably be offered a course date some 9 -12 months hence so the whole process can now take about two and a half years. You can of course always put your application "On Hold" if things progress too quickly.

The other thing to bear in mind is that there is some pretty stiff competition out there, many of your US Majors are in dire straights so Cathay is getting some very high time F/O's who are bailing from the so called "Prime" jobs in the US

Good luck !!!

WaveShwacker
5th Sep 2005, 17:52
Thanx Arryboy!

I'm filling it out as we speak! Now, where did I put that logbook?:ok:

Pogie
17th Oct 2005, 01:08
Regarding jumpseating on US airlines: As a CX pilot you are considered a "foreign" airline pilot and therefore do not qualify for a jumpseat. You can ID90 on Oneworld or Zed carriers. I've spent hours watching full airplanes leave with an empty jumpseat. I've asked quite a few times -- I've always been turned down. I don't ask anymore. I travel mostly on AA. They always put me way in the back of the airplane, even though I travel in uniform. If I packed my uniform, I'm sure that someday I'd forget my pants! Plus it helps at the security line. The funny part is when I'm cramped into row 30 next to some fat lady and I see a jumpseater show up and get put in business class. He's traveling for free and rides up front. I pay $50 and ride with the cattle. Commuting as a CX pilot sucks compared to working for a US carrier. I usually end up buying a confirmed seat if it looks even close to full. Miss more than one flight in your career and they will get rid of you. Once you make it to your plane, though, it's a great job!

Pogie

Sqwak7700
27th Oct 2005, 22:58
Also keep in mind the length of the process.

If you got called for your first interview now, you can expect around 6 to 12 months for the interview process (time from when you schedule first interview to when you are accepted). Then, you can likely expect 1 year wait to b offered a start date.

I waited 6-7 months for my start date, and guys who get through now are being told to expect a start date at the end of 2006. It is a lengthy process, but I think you will be happy with the end result.