PDA

View Full Version : Spanish CPL with UK ATPL Exams

shaun_air85
25th Aug 2005, 16:19
How do you get permission off the CAA so that you can sit your ATPL exams in the uk but complete your cpl in spain?

willby
25th Aug 2005, 18:37
Shaun, Do you intend going to a CAA approved FTO in Spain? If so you do not need special permission. If however you intend going to a non CAA FTO then you will need the permission of the CAA and Spanish equivelent.

Philip Aerodynamics
26th Aug 2005, 10:51
This is a question I have to deal with everyday, "Can I do the CPL with you " No ! "But its JAR".
The way it stands at the moment we can do ME ratings ME/IR and the first basic handling hrs for the JAR PPL.
We do Ratings not licenses this is accepted by the U.K and the U.K CAA issues the ME/IR rating. The spanish CAA will not accept U.K ATPL theory examinations as they are in English. Its basically countries protecting their own markets which is right to a certain extent. However it seems ridiculous that you can fly over to America and do your CPL yet you cannot do this in other JAR countries. This will change the more harmonised JAR becomes. Looking at the training side its very important that students and GA pilots do some training in the U.K because thats where they are going to be flying. We would like more combined courses approved across JAR. Then U.K schools could benefit and GA would grow. Good news that JAR instructors can now work across JAR so we can also offer Instructors courses which are accepted in the U.K. Hope this helps

BillieBob
26th Aug 2005, 15:16
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for JAR to become more harmonised, the JAA ceases to exist next year.

shaun_air85
26th Aug 2005, 16:00
Ok, thanks for replying. Could you guys exlplain, or point me in the right direction of getting an explanation as to what the end of the JAA will mean to getting JAA licences. Cheers