PDA

View Full Version : Airband Antenna

tallseabird
25th Aug 2005, 09:46
A couple of questions for spotters -

What is the best airband antenna (base station or mobile) and why?

Where is a good place to get them?

Thanks

derekl
25th Aug 2005, 11:18
Try using an Amateur 2m band antenna (intended for 144MHz but fine for listening on AM airband).

This will give you the widest selection at reasonable prices. Pick up a mag like Short Wave magazine or Practical Wireless for a Supplier Near You or look on the web.

tallseabird
25th Aug 2005, 13:29
How does that compare against a discone aerial?

Dave Gittins
25th Aug 2005, 13:36
I needed a new antenna for my ICOM a couple of weeks ago. I found the cheapest one on the internet (just searched for aerial or antenna or "air band" or some such.) in Southend. The one that arrived was labelled 126.0 and it works just as well as an ICOM one but at about £5.00 cheaper. They also sold loads and loads of other aerials.

DGG

derekl
25th Aug 2005, 13:56
A discone is intended to cover a very wide spectrum of VHF/UHF/SHF frequencies for wide band scanners. It's bulky in comparison to a simple whip and won't necessarily perform any better. A dual-band VHF/UHF Amateur antenna (2m/70cm) is pretty good on both VHF and UHF airbands.

It really depends on what you want to listen to and what receiving equipment you have. If your interest is primarily airband, then my recommendation is still good.

tallseabird
28th Aug 2005, 10:02
What about a "multi scan DX scanner antenna"?

derekl
29th Aug 2005, 19:18
"multi scan DX scanner antenna"

Well, who knows! DX just means long-distance -- and I don't believe it ;), scanner implies a wide-band scanning receiver. "multi scan" doesn't seem to mean anything.

If you've got a wide band scanner (500KHz to 1GHz or something like that) and want to listen all over that spectrum, then a discone will do it, including airband.

FWIW, when I listen to AM airband I use a handheld dual band (2m/70cm) Amateur transceiver and the supplied "rubber duck". But then I live right under the right base of the 09 approach to LHR so the air-to-ground signal path is 3000'.

tallseabird
30th Aug 2005, 09:00
Thanks Derekl

I am planning to take your advice but the problem I have is that very few antennas call themselves "Amateur 2m band antenna" and I am trying to decipher the names - with my knowledge that is no easy feat!!!

A discone antenna is a bit of a belt and braces approach, I do have the room and it lets me off the hook, having to pick a specific antenna - and getting the wrong one. Better to spend a few quid more and cover all bases.

I am interested in ACARS reception, but I do live quite near my local airport and do pick up most things from a "rubber duck"

Thanks for your help

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Aug 2005, 09:01
DON'T buy an amateur 2m band antenna and DON'T buy a discone. I'll email you privately via the forum..