PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router Woes

None of the above
24th Aug 2005, 14:17
A few months ago I bought a Safecom SWAMR-54108 Wireless Router and made attempts to set it up but without success, so I put it back in its box and forgot about it.
At first I went straight in to the wireless option but I've now had another go using only the LAN and USB options.
I get warnings that there is 'Limited or no connectivity' and 'Socket error #10065. No route to host'.
Doing a search on the former reveals a large number of references to a false positive, whilst Internet access is unrestricted. In this instance the warning would appear to be accurate.
As far as the 'Socket error' message is concerned, I'm no further forward.
I'm inclined to give it up as a bad job and try with another box. I've been looking at a Linksys WAG54GS which, I am assured, only takes one push of a button to set up. Having downloaded the manual of 108 pages I find a comprehensive trouble shooting section so I view the manufacturer's claim with some scepticism.

So, to the point........

(1) Has anyone out there had similar problems with the Safecom box and successfully overcome them?

(2) Is it known if the Linksys box lives up to its maker's claims?

Thanks in advance,

N o t a

Buttino
24th Aug 2005, 14:30
Hi,

I've personally never come across the safecom kit before.

The linkysys is not a true out of the box solution. You still have to configure wireless security and put in the ISP details. I use one at home and it's ok.

With the model you're looking at you cannot change the aerial should the need arise!

The linksys is basically a cisco box with reduced features.

Hope this helps

Trev

None of the above
24th Aug 2005, 15:01
Thanks, Buttino,

Yes, I can manage the ISP details and probably the wireless security, it's just the obstacle course of errors which is inevitably chucked up with no intelligible remedial options offered, that really floors me.

N o t a

Buttino
24th Aug 2005, 18:28
If you know how to setup the wireless security then you'll be fine with it!

Trev

Phoenix09
24th Aug 2005, 21:25
I am using the SWAMR-54108 here and have had no problems with it so I'm afraid I can't help you directly.

However you might want to try posting your problem at the ADSL Tech Support Forums (http://adsltech.com/portal/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=35) as I know that some of the Safecom tech support guys post there.

None of the above
25th Aug 2005, 07:05
Thanks for that Phoenix09.

I've had a quick look at the above link so I can at least take comfort from the fact that I'm not the only one experiencing problems.

I think that it will be 'a wet towel around the cranium' job, followed by a nice lie down.

I'll have a look in greater depth this evening, but from the little bit I've gathered so far, a reset to factory settings will probably be the best way to start.

Many thanks,

N o t a

Coconutty
26th Aug 2005, 08:12
... have you tried contacting Safecom directly ??

I have a slightly different wireless router to yours and had a couple of problems setting it up -
by going the Safecom web site I found a "Live Support" link which connects you to one of their technical support guys ( not 24 hrs ).

They were very helpful - you "chat" directly with the techie, although you do have to translate a bit of "pigeon" English.
( I think they are based in China ).

If you can get Internet access then give them a try :

Safecom Technical Support (http://safecom.cn/code/default.asp)

When the page loads check the box top left of the page "Live Support" - it will indicate whether the service is On or Off Line.

... and also on the Safecom web site is some "User Support" for your Router.
This includes details of VPN Server setup and VPN Client setup in Windows XP : SWAMRU-54108 (http://safecom.cn/code/sub/category.asp?prdid=24&subcatid=1)

Coconut
:ok:

None of the above
26th Aug 2005, 09:00
Thanks for that info, Coconutty,

I've just had another attempt (prior to seeing your post) without any success.
Thanks for pointing out the next way forward.
Watch this space!

N o t a

None of the above
26th Aug 2005, 20:08
Making some progress............

I've actually managed to get it working as a straightforward broadband modem.
Will attempt to get it running on wireless tomorrow. Should be good for a laugh!

N o t a

Edited to add:

I've now managed to get it working by the wonders of wireless, but I have to confess that enabling security will be something more of a problem than I had envisaged.
It isn't helped by the fact that the manual has lost something in the translation or else Stanley Unwin was the technical author on the project.

Helli-Gurl
29th Aug 2005, 02:41
Get a 3-com Office Connect Wi-Fi Router

Problem solved,

x