PDA

View Full Version : JAA ground school +14 tests in one CAA and flying in another...

diverine
24th Aug 2005, 09:54
Hi,

here's my question:

Is it possible to complete the ATPL theory course in one JAA country, pass all 14 tests

and

finish off the flying portion in another JAA country and get their license?

If anyone has any info on this, please let me know as I am getting ready start the conversion process...

Thx,

diverine

Blinkz
24th Aug 2005, 10:15
It is next to impossible. Whilst the JARs do allow it in theory nearly all of the states don't do it. If they were you need to have an agreement before you start training with both the states involved.

Send Clowns
24th Aug 2005, 10:45
Depends on the states' aviation authorities. They both have to agree to the plan - get it in writing before starting with your plan. Which countries were you thinking of?

diverine
24th Aug 2005, 11:10
I was thinking about getting the ground school in Greece. And finishing the flight training off in Turkey (new JAA member) - it's much cheaper to do the flying there...
The advantage about Greece is that the CAA has approved a 370h modular ATPL theory course - much shorter than most of the other JAA countries...

Send Clowns
24th Aug 2005, 11:17
I suspect, from the history of the two countries, that might be a "no". They are not known for their close co-operation in international matters, and this really does have to be by bilateral agreement. Try if you like, but remember that you have to get a job at the end of it, with an employer who will know where you trained. Have you considered reputation as well as cost?

Have you also considered whether it is possible to actually pass in 370 hours? In the UK 650 hours is the minimum approved, I teach on a 670-odd hour course, and it is needed! If you are really that knowledgeable already why not do a distance-learning course in the UK? No-one really knows how many hours you do then, and you can do some work a the same time.