PDA

View Full Version : At sanford what does clear for the option mean?

philip2004uk
22nd Aug 2005, 15:54
Thanks

Craggenmore
22nd Aug 2005, 15:55
land or go around

scroggs
22nd Aug 2005, 15:59
I assume you are referring to an R/T clearance from the tower to an aircraft on the approach? We used to use a similar clearance in the RAF at training bases.

Basically, it is a clearance for the FI in an aircraft making a glide or instrument approach to complete either a landing, a touch and go or a go-around from that approach. The phrase 'the option' gives the student no clues as to what the instructor may require him to do, and allows that decision to be made at a late point in the approach.

Scroggs

philip2004uk
22nd Aug 2005, 16:08
Thanks for that i am just listening live on liveatc.net

FlyingForFun
23rd Aug 2005, 13:06
It's not common at UK civilian fields, but it is possible to request it.

For example, my club (in common with most others) has a 28-day currency rule. Some of our regular pilots occassionaly go out of currency and require a quick checkout. If it's a pilot I know fairly well, I'll often ask them to do one circuit, and ask ATC for "the option". If the landing is fine (as it usually is) we stop there, but it gives me the option of asking the pilot to do a couple more circuits if I think it's necessary before I sign him off to fly away to wherever he's planning on going.

FFF
--------------

Tinstaafl
24th Aug 2005, 02:19
It's a standard procedure in the US. It authorises the a/c to either:

* land,
* touch & go, or
* go around

at the pilot's discretion.

PPRuNe Pop
24th Aug 2005, 09:07
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Turkish777
25th Aug 2005, 01:24
Listen out for the English accent talking to Sanford ATC...its good old Turkish.......Im the only limey left out of the JAA group at DCA, KSFB....Im the one they cant understand..:ok: