PDA

View Full Version : Kit built Spitfire crash Switzerland

Passenger 9
22nd Aug 2005, 11:00
Swiss pilot killed in air show manoeuvre.

A 39-year old pilot died on Saturday August 20. at the Dittingen air show near Basle when he lost control of his single-seater kit built MJ-10 Spitfire HB-YIZ, during a level turn to the left, the accident is being investigated by Swiss air accident investigation body BFU (Buro fur Flugunfalluntersuchungen).

Watching an amateur video shown on Swiss TV news the same day, it APPEARS that during a level turn to the left (with increasing rate of turn) that the left (inside) wing stalled, following which the aircraft entered an incipient spin to the left, which later developed into one full turn before the pilot stopped the spin. Following this the aircraft was very low and it appears that the pilot MAY not have followed through with the full recovery, in diving to regain flying speed, but when faced with the fast approaching ground pulled back on the stick. The resulting continued stalled condition and high rate of descent then continued until impact with the ground. Sadly the pilot did not survive.

The aircrafts first flight was on July 19, 2004. Initial checks indicate the pilot and his aircraft held approved certification.
:( :( :(

Sgt.Peppeh
22nd Aug 2005, 11:15
It is always a sad affair when one of our kindred spirit,fellow airman is lost or missing. I pray when my time is up, it comes quick as it was for him.

Sincerest condolence to those loved ones left to mourn.

May his soul R.I.P

With respect,

The Serge.