PDA

View Full Version : 20th Anniversary of the Manchester Airport Disaster

Sir George Cayley
22nd Aug 2005, 10:51
Just after half past seven on a bright August morning 20 years ago today, 55 passengers and crew lost their lives at Manchester Airport.

They were aboard a British Airtours Boeing 737 G-BGJL that was consumed by fire after suffering a catastrophic engine failure during take off.

Our aviation world is different because of the terrible events inside that aircraft as the passengers tried to escape. Many people are still affected by the accident through loss or involvement.

Perhaps you may take a few minutes to reflect, to remember and to pray that we all continue to strive to ensure those who entrust their lives to us, do so safely.

Sir George Cayley

IB4138
27th Aug 2005, 15:57
I did remember this event and mentioned it on my afternoon radio show, here on the Costa del Sol, last Monday.

Mrs IB and I have good cause to remember. A friend of ours was on the flight, seated in row 3. Fortunately they escaped uninjured, bodily, but not in the mind. She has, regretably, been unable to set foot on an aircraft since.

PPRuNe Pop
27th Aug 2005, 16:21
It has to be right that we remember this terrible and very unfortuante disaster.

We should all pray that their souls will rest in peace.