PDA

View Full Version : kneeboards

escobar
20th Aug 2005, 21:55
Whats the best kneeboard to get. Need to try and tidy up my cockpit management and have been looking at the trifold ones? Any suggestions?
thanx

CAT3C AUTOLAND
22nd Aug 2005, 09:07
I found an A4 kneeboard to be sufficient for my CPL and IR. One thing I did find helpful, was the two clips either side of the board, handy for SID's, STAR's and approach plates.

Try and get one with a few pen holders aswell, I was always dropping pens in the Senaca, and can you find the bloody things while in flight, can you hell!? :D.

All the best.

conor_mc
22nd Aug 2005, 10:30
I've struggled with the tri-fold knee-board, but primarily because I'm 6'2" and so my knees are right up there beside the stick. When I have the knee-board on, "controls full and free" is a bit marginal, so I just use the board bit and dumped the tri-fold part.

Seriously considering a straight-forward A4 clipboard though - darn sight cheaper than anything with the word "aviation" in it's name too!

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Aug 2005, 11:13
I have five kneeboards, varied according to task. What type of aircraft and type of flying?

G

escobar
27th Aug 2005, 23:43
Thanx for your replies. At the moment i'm flying the arrow but i'll be moving onto a multi, probably the seneca for my IR, and then back to a 172 or something like that for my FI. I have just a basic A4 kneeboard with my map on one side and my flight log on the other. I've recently "retro-fitted" it with those clip on pen holders but i don't think this $2 contaption is up to much

Farrell
28th Aug 2005, 21:30
i use to have an A4 clipboard from Wal-Mart with my sectional clipped on one side and nav log on the other

now i still use that board but only for the sectional which i wrap around the board so that i get the full A3's worth of map space.

i tried using tri-fold and bi-fold kneeboards until eventually someone recommended 'The Ultimate Kneeboard' by Harper Aviation.

it is the most well thought out piece of kit!

you can check it out here:

http://www.harper-aviation.com/index.html

Farrell :ok:

Piltdown Man
5th Sep 2005, 10:08
A piece of plywood just bigger than A4 and a couple of bulldog clips. Cheap, simple and it works.

Number Cruncher
5th Sep 2005, 11:31
Might be doing the IR on the Twin Diamond very shortly. Anyone know if the middle stick causes any problems re kneeboards etc??

Genghis the Engineer
5th Sep 2005, 11:45
Thanx for your replies. At the moment i'm flying the arrow but i'll be moving onto a multi, probably the seneca for my IR, and then back to a 172 or something like that for my FI. I have just a basic A4 kneeboard with my map on one side and my flight log on the other. I've recently "retro-fitted" it with those clip on pen holders but i don't think this $2 contaption is up to much

My personal favourite for this sort of flying is a tri-fold type. The one I use is the Pooleys "helicopter pilots kneeboard" (I don't fly rotary, just like the kneeboard).

I happen to fly two types most regularly, one has a single stick between the seats, the other a conventional yoke - it doesn't get in the way for either, although occasionally I have thought (when for example doing some moderately interesting manoeuvring) that it'd be nice to be able to fold and secure the kneeboard whilst it's still strapped to my knee - not something that the Pooley's product permits. On the other hand, I could easily sort that with a bit of velcro, and probably should!

G

http://www.pooleys.co.uk/acatalog/GPS-K3-closed.jpg

wessexairways
5th Sep 2005, 22:00
Knee Board - waste of 20 sheets, or more.

I use two thin binding strips, 20p each from my local stationer. With a map cunningly folded to just about A4 I have my PLOG on the reverse and spin the map through 180 degrees.

Have never exceeded in PPL or CPL training the A4 area of map.

Plotter and pen in the top pocket of my shirt and a cunning Swatch strapped to my arm.

Keep the VFR flight guide in the side pocket in case of diversion and away you go. Nothing flash at Wessexairways!

Had the same problem, my ppl instructor liked stop watches, knee boards maps, crp's the list goes on. The dear old PA28 looked like Pooleys sales floor! Actually think he may have been on commission to the flying club to sell this rubbish!

PM me your address and I will send you the binding strips free!

Wessex

OZAZTEC
6th Sep 2005, 13:29
All you need and want in the cockpit is a:-

A5 Plastic Clip Board Folder

Less than 2 Pnds
Less than 3 US$
Less than 5 A/NZ $

Forget anything bigger and save a fortune!

Comes in Black/White/Red/Blue

The96er
6th Sep 2005, 18:49
Number Cruncher, I have just started my Multi-IR on the DA-42 and have found that an A4 knee board will not work due to the control column, At the moment I am having to use an A5 knee board, but this is not really practicable. Therefore, I am making my own as we speak with a cut-out to allow for the control column. As of yet, there are no suitable kneeboards on the market to cater for the DA-42, although I'm sure there will be in time.

The96er

eagle8020
19th Oct 2005, 01:55
Farrell, have you....or has anyone else here....tried out the 'Ultimate Kneeboard'. I've looked on the net, and this is - I agree - the most well-thought out kneeboard I've ever seen.

DOES ANYONE KNOW.....Is there a pocket between the clipboard section (that straps onto your knee) and the part that hangs loosely down the side of your leg? I hope so because that would be great for storing, say, charts and WX.

18greens
20th Oct 2005, 19:16
What about the Edmo Zuluboard (http://www.ipilot.com/shop/product.aspx?pid=17241) .

Got to be worth it if only for the name