PDA

View Full Version : Thread on recommended books should be Killed By Mods.

Saab Dastard
19th Aug 2005, 20:55
I have just realised that the thread on "Searching for a Good Read" should be deleted by the moderators, as it contains blatant advertising for books, and plugs for the authors (living and err... not living).

It also contains links to publishers, plus information on how to go about buying these items.

All of these are prerequisites for deleting threads on airshows, so come on Mods, delete the thread with advertising for books.

SD

dusk2dawn
19th Aug 2005, 21:39
Please don't ! Dead or alive I've bookmarked that tread for future reference.

Unwell_Raptor
19th Aug 2005, 21:42
I don't understand the problem. Does Danny own a bookshop that I don't know about?

cavortingcheetah
20th Aug 2005, 06:27
;)

Surely, reference to sources of educational information can hardly be termed advertising any more than can a book review in an established periodical?:confused:

bolmas
20th Aug 2005, 07:55
doesnt an airshow also provide educational information?sorry, cant mention them here!!

Saab Dastard
20th Aug 2005, 14:05
Regarding "advertising" - when is mentioning or even recommending a company or brand name or product advertising?

For example, a quick search throws up

eBay - 991 threads
Amazon.com - 91 threads (and thats excluding any that just mention Amazon or .co.uk)
Microsoft - 1759 threads
Transair - 668 threads.

So, when does mentioning a company constitute advertising?

What is the position if I say "lets meet at the Dog and Duck on Tuesday, they are having a music evening"? Is that advertising?

Is it advertising if I just say "lets meet at the Dog and Duck"? What about "I recommend the Dog and Duck as a place to meet for a bash"?

Are we allowed to say that we would like to drink Guiness in the Dog and Duck?

Consistency? All or nothing?

Genghis the Engineer
20th Aug 2005, 14:46
A former boss of mine once in a moment of blind optimism asked one of CAA legal branch's finest for a definition of what was, and was not, aerial work.

What he got was that if you fly towing a banner saying "the village fete is on Saturday", that is public information and perfectly acceptable.

But, if you tow a banner saying "come to the village fete on Saturday", that is advertising and requires a commercial licence.

In that vein....

I would venture that if somebody posts semi-anonymously some superb aviation photographs for us all to enjoy, that is sharing and much appreciated.

On the other hand, if they post them, with each photo carrying a website address (presumably of the photographer who aims to sell pictures) and phone number, this is advertising.

Similarly....

"I have read this brilliant book", .v. "I recommend this brilliant book which I sell".

or

"The Little Snoring airshow is on Saturday", .v. "Come to the Little Snoring airshow".

G

Opssys
20th Aug 2005, 16:05
Anyone who is the Moderator of a forum is a brave soul and probably as a minor masochist streak. In every forum I have lurked on even on occasion contributed (Aviation, Telecomms, Computing), I have often felt sorry for the moderator(s), on some occasions, also angry with them, or just irritated.
Compared with most I have been in, the Forum Members here are the 'best behaved' and usually the Moderation has had a 'light touch' which seemed to be just right.

I understand the extremely thin line between informative and issuing and advertising. Genghis the Engineer has exactly defined this in his post.

One forum on Telecoms used to have a rule that stated a Press Release was acceptable (and it had to be exactly that, text exactly as per the release to the News Agencies) any other form of 'plug' was not. I suspect this is not possible for this forum and may still not be acceptable to the Moderator.

From what I remember of the Threads that have been pulled, they may have broken through the thin line that marks information and advertising , but they did not break the spirit of the rules that make this forum a very interesting, nay informative and useful place to visit.

I think a PM warning to the posters would have been better than pulling the threads, but then I never would be a Moderator of PPRune forum either (well not unless it was for serious money :-)

DIH

RTR
20th Aug 2005, 21:45
Unless I have missed something I cannot see what the problem is. Isn't the basic problem the dictat Danny issued in regard to advertising, which mods have to abide by. Shooting the messenger is hardly good form is it.

In which case it is rather pointless in casing scenarios that are irrelevant. The rules are very clear, maybe not what some want to hear or read but PPRuNe is here for us all to enjoy and we don't pay a penny towards it.

On that basis I for one accept that as I don't contribute to the cost of running the site I have no right to criticise what actions are taken to ensure that people do not overstep the line. I am happy with that. :ok:

Onan the Clumsy
21st Aug 2005, 00:18
a Press Release was acceptable Well wouldn't that advertise the newspaper or magazine that carried the press release? :confused: :8

Opssys
21st Aug 2005, 11:00
Quote:
Well wouldn't that advertise the newspaper or magazine that carried the press release?
Unquote

Hmm. The Press Release would be issued by the company organising the event and would be issued to 'the media' in the form of a statement.

For another purpose I have just been looking at BT Release from 1984 that runs to 6 Pages (A Majpr Trade Show).

But the ones I am thinking of are the annoucement type, which are normally short and provide a very brief summary of the event
with a link to full details (sometimes two links one to read and one for the Hacks to obtain their copy effectively prewritten).
Probably between 10 and 20 Lines of text.

Whilst this worked in Telecom Forum, as I wrote (badly) in my previous post , such releases may still not be accepted by the Moderator as being within PPRune guidelines. In fact rereading the Moderators post almost certainly NOT.

So I will now go and write a 100 lines, each reading:
Never mention Press Releases On PPRune
DIH

DIH

PPRuNe Pop
21st Aug 2005, 12:35
Thank you Opssys.

But PRESS RELEASES on PPRuNe are not always taboo. In fact, I cannot think of one that was. However, I am always available to be contacted to 'test the water' if anyone is in doubt about the question of advertising.

On that note I will close the thread.

Thank you for your exchanges.

PPP