PDA

View Full Version : Bhx Rw15 Sid

+'ve ROC
19th Aug 2005, 06:47
Watching the southerly departures from BHX the other day I noticed that they all turned right (i suppose about 20 - 30 degrees) before rolling back to wings level or in some cases turning left (presumably heading north.)

I take it this is part of the departure procedure out of 15 but I was wondering what influences it?

Is it noise abatement? A right turn after takeoff takes a/c CLOSER to the populus....?

Is it that a/c have to intercept a HON radial as part of the SID?

Just curious. Thanks in adv.

pilotatlast
19th Aug 2005, 07:17
Its to avoid overflying the villages of Knowle and dorridge where there are lots of people with lots of money that complain alot about noise!

+'ve ROC
19th Aug 2005, 07:24
Funnily enough, I'm a resident of Dorridge and a/c turning right out of 15 move closer to the two villages....so your answer does't make sense.:confused:

Perhaps I need to include a "well informed answers only" clause in the question next time? :E

aerobat 1971
19th Aug 2005, 07:53
On a related note, does anyone know if BHX ever intend to actually fix the ILS glideslope for 33? It seems to have been unservicable for a very long time now.

Cheers,

David

retiredandloveit
19th Aug 2005, 11:25
+'ve ROC.
I think Pilotatlast was pretty close to the mark. Aircraft leaving Bhx on 15 have been doing this for as long as I can remember. (My hair is grey). However I believe its to avoid Catherine de Barnes. Some VERY senior politicians have friends there. In a previous existence I (with others) was tasked with looking after a lady with a handbad whilst stopping off for tea during a general election campaign.

senior moment - for handbad read handbag

+'ve ROC
19th Aug 2005, 13:15
Interesting, but I find it hard to believe there is a purely 'political' motive for this.

You're suggesting that 100+(?) departures a day are made to turn right ever so briefly and then back towards the left because someone at the CAA has 'friends in high places.'

Check maps.google.com. You'll find that a right turn on departure takes aircraft CLOSER to Solihull, Knowle, Dorridge and Catherine De Barnes, so the noise abatement argument doesn't really hold water.:confused:

Anyone controlling or flying this airspace care to shed some light?

Brgds

ROC

Dom Joly
19th Aug 2005, 13:42
I too was informed that it was to clear certain villages that would have had to put up with that 'ghastly noise' had we climbed directly out.

The fact that many of these noise protestors moved into their homes long after jet traffic was well established out of BHX is neither here nor there in their minds:confused:

Gentle Climb
19th Aug 2005, 13:46
I understood that the turn relates to noise abatement at Balsall Common which is right under the flightpath. There is a lot of sensitivity about the new runway proposals in the Solihull area and maybe the airport are doing their best not to provoke a sizeable group of potential protestors who I understand have made numerous complaints in the past.

I add that this is just what I understand and could be absolute horse ....!

Do increased movements at Cov have an impact upon this?

+'ve ROC
19th Aug 2005, 16:21
Well noise abatement for the benefit of Balsall Common residents I can understand!

I take it the unfortunate souls in the council estates beyond the 33threshold do not carry as much clout when it comes to drawing up SIDs?! :sad:

NudgingSteel
19th Aug 2005, 21:56
Afraid that's exactly true +'ve!
Every airport I've ever worked at, the same holds true. The expensive bits with complaining gits tend to be avoided or restricted very heavily. The less affluent parts don't. Call me cynical but I guess that sums up life generally. Some people just have more pressing things to worry about....