PDA

View Full Version : CPL/IR or fATPL ?

gsch
18th Aug 2005, 15:55
Hi,
I currently hold a french PPL. I'm planning in continuing my flying studies. However, as far as I understand, I now have two possibilities. (using distance learning)

1) CPL + IR theory (9 + 7 = 16 exams, some duplicates, but looks like it's mandatory)

2) fATPL (14 exams - which as I understand includes the IR)

I know that doing the fATPL will make more work and my goal is only to fly pro + instrument. But I think that it might be interesting for "general knowledge" to go a bit further, even though I probably won't use the ATPL to fly airlines.

What do you think on that ? Should I go for the theoretical ATPL or just stick to the CPL+IR?

I'm finishing my master thesis now, so studying hard is not a real problem.

Charlie Zulu
18th Aug 2005, 15:56
When you say "fly pro + instrument" do you mean corporate / airline work?

In which case you'll need at least a CPL/IR with ATPL knowledge so you might as well go and sit those ATPL exams.

gsch
18th Aug 2005, 16:01
do you mean corporate / airline work?

I mean corp work. I don't plan for airline work.

So going for ATPL exams its 14 exams and CPL/IR is 16 redundants exams, right ?

Charlie Zulu
18th Aug 2005, 16:05
Yes you can do the 14 ATPL exams and they cover you for the CPL/IR exams. You will only need to study for and sit the ATPL exams.

I believe you require ATPL knowledge (thus a fATPL or ATPL) in order to add a type rating to a licence.

I'll check Lasors to be sure...

gsch
18th Aug 2005, 16:06
Great,
thanks a lot for your fast answer.

I'll probably go for the ATPL exams

Charlie Zulu
18th Aug 2005, 16:10
Just found it within Lasors:

Under Section F, Part 4 entitled "Multi-Pilot Aeroplane Type Ratings" the following is encountered under the "Pre-requisite conditions for training:

An applicant for the first type rating for a MPA shall provide evidence that the following requirements have been met:-

a) have completed t least 100 hours as pilot-in-command of aeroplanes.

b) have a valid multi-engine Instrument Rating (Aeroplanes) within the last 5 years from the date of expiry of the rating. This is only a requirement for an initial MPA type rating and not subsequent type ratings;

c) hold a certificate of satisfactory completiono f a multi-crew co-operation (MCC) course (this requirement is not applicable to those who have attended a TRTO course which includes MCC). For full details on the MCC Course and MCC credits can be found at Section F10.

d) have passed the professional flight crew examinations at ATPL level

Hope this helps.

gsch
18th Aug 2005, 16:24
Great, thanks a lot