PDA

View Full Version : What's the Difference Between Self Improver and Modular

Canada Goose
18th Aug 2005, 10:16
As the title suggests.........

What is the difference between a self-improver and a student who goes modular ???? I was always under the impression they were the same thing ??

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks

CG
:confused:

Tallbloke
18th Aug 2005, 10:18
The self improver route was replaced by the modular route.

Canada Goose
18th Aug 2005, 14:23
Cheers for that Tallbloke !

CG:ok:

Charlie Zulu
18th Aug 2005, 15:15
The old self improver route used to be such you would obtain your PPL then study for and pass the CPL exams (later on they allowed the ATPLs to be done without having done the CPLs first) then obtain a BCPL at around 200 hours. One would then obtain a CPL at 700 hours and an ATPL 1500 hours. Once you had the CPL at 700 hours you could then attend a non-approved IR course and train as necessary for the IR. The high hours required generally meant people obtained AFI ratings to work as a flight instructor (upgraded to a QFI after a few different requirements being met).

Today the modular route has taken the place of the self improver route but the required hours have dropped and the BCPL scrapped.

Though I might be wrong about the old self improver route I described above.

Megaton
18th Aug 2005, 16:02
BEagle will be on here shortly to point out that QFI is a military term for a pilot who has attended and passed a course of instruction at the Central Flying School. :) :)

Charlie Zulu
18th Aug 2005, 16:12
Oops!

Oh dear...

;)

Canada Goose
18th Aug 2005, 16:28
Charlie Zulu - thanks for clarifying even further !! Sounds like the 'self-improver' route was quite the hike, not that the modular route is by any means a walk in the park !!

;)

Cheers,
CG