PDA

View Full Version : moving to HK with a dog?

justwannafly
18th Aug 2005, 08:35
Hi guys,

Im currently in Australia getting close to the hours for interviews etc in CX and asia. I have a labrador and a wife not willing to leave her behind.

Is is possible to have a large dog in HK, she is an inside dog most of the time but obviously a backyard would be preferable. However, if we did have to live in a unit, can it be done and where do I find these places.

Also, on the HK real estate sites Ive looked at, the rent is around $25000HK... is this per month?

Thanks heaps for your help

Howiepolar.

HotDog
18th Aug 2005, 10:40
HKD 25,000 would be the monthly rent for a smallish flat, or a village house, depending on location. Importing a dog to Hong Kong from Oz would entail one weeks quarantine for you pooch, make sure all innoculations are current. Best location with a dog would be out of the city in Clearwater Bay or Sai Kung or even Disco Bay. You might not be able to find a suitable place with a garden but most apartments come with balconies and there are plenty of places where you can take your dog for walkies. Once you get settled, you'll probably employ an Amah, who can look after your dog as part of her duties. I have lots of friends in Hong Kong who keep big dogs, living in apartments without gardens.

bekolblockage
18th Aug 2005, 11:22
Don't think there is any quarantine period for importation from Oz (classified as Group 1 country). Wasn't when we brought our cat here anyway.
You can check it out at the Agricultural,Fisheries and Wildlife Dept website:

http://www.afcd.gov.hk/quarantine/animals_e.htm

Plenty of garden flats in DB where the dog can run around - rents are a bit higher than 25K now though.

GlueBall
18th Aug 2005, 21:51
Lots of doggies at Stanley. Must bring a pooper scooter and clean up after your dog in public areas. :ooh:

tifters
19th Aug 2005, 07:33
Justwannafly
I brought a lab pup up here about 18 months ago. I found the AFCD very helpfull and one of the most painless experiences in HKG, and believe me you get a few.
Is not a prob from Aus and NO quarantine, although ours was a new born(8 weeks) so maybe diff if your dog is of age.
You will need to arrange things at the Aus end as far as delivering the dog and having the vet check ups that are req'd. The dog is then checked again at the Dep APT. On delivery to HKG, the AFCD contact you and give you info on where to pick up. The dog is checked by an AFCD vet and assuming no probs you can drive home with your dog there and then.
As for living here, as someone mentioned there is no limit on great hikes and as long as you arent lazy your dog will get plenty of walks. The maid option is good too. Ours treats our dog like her child. We are lucky, we have outdoor area which is quite big but to be honest i dont think she would mind if we only had a decent size balcony, she gets lots of walks!!!
So bring the dog and let me know, ours just loves new friends!!
Good luck on getting into CX.
Tifters

Herc Jerk
19th Aug 2005, 08:18
More info HERE (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166793&highlight=PETS)

There is no quarantine for imorting from AUS

The link BEKOL provided to the AFCD gives details and is your best source of info- i found them very helpful via email also.

It cost us ~AUD1400 for our 25kg mutt to travel BNE-HKG via CX. Cost is based on container size. You aren't allowed to manifest cargo so have to use one of the registered pet transport companies in AUS.

You'll need a vet in AUS that does exports- AQIS provides a list. There's 3 shots they need (on the AFCD website). Plus if you want to be able to bring the dog bask to AUS with minimum quarantine (1 month) you will need to get a rabies titre test and shots (2) and a micro-chip. Unfortunately the micro-chip used in HKG is a different standard so the dog will be given another one on arrival plus another rabies shot- whether or not you've done the titre tests.

Start planning at least 3 months ahead- it takes time to jump through all the hoops.

HJ

bekolblockage
19th Aug 2005, 10:45
As tifters said, quite painless IF you have all the right paperwork -believe me they love paperwork here.

We used Jet Pets.
Don't know how they compare pricewise with others but they were excellent.
Picked the cat up at our apartment a few hours before our flight for final vet check, put her on the same flight as us. On arrival I went straight to opposite side of the airport (which is harder than it sounds here) and cleared her through AFCD. Home the same night. About AUD700 if I recall.

tamalai
21st Aug 2005, 11:59
I had a dog when I moved to Hong kong, fortunately I divoreced her soon after...................................

Highly recommend it...........................

cpdude
21st Aug 2005, 19:25
duz yur dog bite?:D

cx007
22nd Aug 2005, 03:00
25000HKD a month can rent you a really nice house in Sai Kung or somewhere in the Ner territories. Travel to the airport takes you less than an hour so dont worry.
Beware some of the posh housing estates in HK dont allow dogs.