PDA

View Full Version : OAT Manuals Worth Buying?

Charlie Zulu
17th Aug 2005, 15:46
Hi All,

Whilst waiting for this months results, I have started re-studying for the Principles of Flight and Performance exams.

Before the brush up course last month I dropped these two exams as I doubted whether I would have been ready for them. In hindsight this was very much a wise decision.

I'm looking to take these two exams in a couple of months time, so the theory is that I shall be blitzing through the subject material.

However I am not comfortable with Performance one little bit, mainly due to a little difficulty in amassing the required information from the notes from my school. I am wondering whether a different perspectice would shed light on the subject(s)?

As I'm flying up to Gloucester on Friday I shall be visiting Transair to buy the OAT PoF and Performance manuals (which also includes the M&B subject).

Though before I do buy them, does anyone have any comments upon these two books? Are they worth buying?

I have tried to do a search but unable to find the required information...

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Grass strip basher
17th Aug 2005, 16:39
I have got the OAT PoF book which I am using to supplement notes I have from a course elsewhere... finding it very useful so would recommend it if the 50 quid asking price isn't much of an issue for you.

Maude Charlee
17th Aug 2005, 16:49
A lot of these books are of limited value without a competent instructor to help you along. They can be very wordy (like PoF), and as little as 5 - 10% of the actual content is directly relevant to the exams. Whilst it makes interesting reading, provided you don't lose the will to live too easily, unless you have lots of time on your hands then you run the risk of trying to absorb irrelevant information. The instructor will sort the wheat from the considerable amounts of chaff.

Performance is slightly different, in that the manual is very short, and the subject is perhaps more 'practical' in nature as there is a lot of calculation from performance charts involved. A decent instructor is worth his weight in gold for this subject, as it is one of the few you will ever have any use for once you graduate.

helicopter-redeye
17th Aug 2005, 16:50
I've used some of the OAT notes on some of the harder subjects. Apart from anything else, its more exam questions to try and sometimes a different perspective on the material.

For Perf, may be worth getting the GTS notes (about same price) as thought to be best of class. I think POF at OAT good.

h-r:)

Lee Frost
17th Aug 2005, 22:52
...Or try and track down John Hedges - I think he is working ad hoc @ Bristol GS. He is very good on both subjects.....I don't know if he is taking on private tuition but if so it would be a good investment.

If you are not a student at Bristol, maybe give Alex a call and ask to sit in on PofF at the brushups for some £s - worth a try. Ken, Their PofF instructor is very good value and a top bloke.

:ok:

Good luck to you.

LF