PDA

View Full Version : IR - Adf Dip

TubularBells
17th Aug 2005, 07:24
Hello!

I'm currently in the process of completing my IR. For practice, I sometimes use a PC sim to work on my overall scan technique.

So at the beginning of my IR, I had a good look at all the PC software packages around and the only package that seemed to do ADF dip, (which is critical to be able to work on NDB holds and procedures) was RANT. But it's a bit clunky.

I also checked out X-Plane, which is just about the most realistic sim for the PC there seems to be. So me being me, I thought, hey, if only this could do ADF dip (the package claims that it does), it would be absolutely perfect!

So I wrote off to X-plane and started a rather long conversation with them about ADF dip and the fact that the program did not really seem to represent the amount of dip that you would see in a UK training aircraft (i.e Seneca). The software package claims that ADF dip is built into it and shows about 1-2 degrees of dip, if that. The aircraft can be anything between 10-20 degrees (in my limited experience).

I've sent them about 3 pages of supporting documentation of what it all is and why it happens, but it seems that they would like 'Proof' as I don't think they believe me!

Well, I really can't be bothered with it all quite frankly, if they can't be bothered to help themselves. I did however, think that it was worth a quick post to see what you all think and if you have any ideas as to what might convince them that it really does need changing.

Many thanks to all,

TB.:ok: