PDA

View Full Version : IR before CPL?

apoball
15th Aug 2005, 21:28
Quick one:

I'm told that there are advantages to taking your IR before doing the CPL course.... Perhaps saving money on multi-engine aircraft hire, or putting the 150hours of hour-building to good use!?

Anyone know if this is possible or advisable?

Has anyone done it?

Thanks,

APO

provo
15th Aug 2005, 21:44
Many go down this route on the modular courses. The main benefit is that the CPL course is reduced from 25 hours to 15 if you have completed and passed the IR course. If you look in Section D.2 of LASORS you will find a bit more detail.

gliding777
15th Aug 2005, 21:57
I did my IR before my CPL, so yes it is possible. With regard to advisability, it is two different types of flying and depends what you prefer - for me I didn't mind IFR because it is more procedural and VFR navigation isn't my cup of tea, then again I didn't have a choice!!

Also you only have to do 15 hours of IF in the CPL course if you already have an IR, as opposed to 25 hours if you don't, potentially a money saving there. And when you come to do the IF bits in the CPL test, they are dead easy!!

Hope this helps.

Philip Aerodynamics
16th Aug 2005, 11:39
The one problem with doing the ME IR first is when you return to the CPL you find your head is always in the cockpit. Plus you might do the CPL in a single which is depressing after being in the twin, be realistic your CPL will probably take you 20hrs if your not held up by weather. Then who knows! The students who have the CPL and come here are by far better pilots on arrival as they have the basics on Instruments. My advice get the CPL done while the weathers good in the U.K

G-SP0T
16th Aug 2005, 17:13
i think u need 70 hrs p1, to do the MEP part, but still 100 hrs p1 to do a cpl - so no saving there - may be wrong...

smith
16th Aug 2005, 19:35
To complete the CPL you must have 150hrs tt. IR training can therefore reduce the number of hours time building as they can be used toward the 150 hours and you can also get the credit off the CPL therefore reducing costs in both ways. Thats the way stapleford do it.

ChocksAwayUK
16th Aug 2005, 20:21
Ah, so it was in Stapleford's interests to suggest i do the CPL first then - fair enough;) . Good school though, enjoying it there.