PDA

View Full Version : Freebies in Florida

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
15th Aug 2005, 16:07
Hi Gang;

Now then...I thought this finished last year...but;

I was informed by a colleague that the theme park free entry in Florida to service families may still be open...Is this true or is he joshing me...It would be nice to save a bundle of $$$ to spend on more frivolous gadgets...;)

Regards...SFS

Edited for red wine speeling...

:ok:

MajorMadMax
15th Aug 2005, 17:19
Try: http://www.militarydiscounts.com

But this is for US force, I am not sure if any/all apply to our cousins... :(

Cheers! M2

Muppet Show
15th Aug 2005, 19:27
I think you're talking about Busch Gardens:

http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/fla/ftp_press_releases_details.aspx?pr_num=698

"St. Louis (Feb. 3, 2005) - Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. today announced its "Heroes Salute" to honor the U.S. Armed Services by offering free single-day admission to its SeaWorld or Busch Gardens parks to active duty military, active reservists, U.S. Coast Guard, National Guardsmen and as many as three direct dependents beginning Feb. 7 through Dec. 31, 2005.

"In our own small way, we're giving something back to the brave men and women and their families who make sacrifices every day for our country," said August A. Busch IV, president, Anheuser-Busch Inc. "As a salute to America's heroes, we wish to extend a message of thanks and an invitation."

Any active duty, active reserve, ready reserve service member or National Guard is entitled to free admission under the program. He or she need only register, either online at www.herosalute.com or in the entrance plaza of participating parks, and show a Department of Defense photo ID. As many as three direct dependents of military personnel also are entitled to free admission."

Good ol' August Busch has extended the invite to us providing you can show your ID at the gate. Looks awesome, when's the next Ex in Florida?:E

L1A2 discharged
15th Aug 2005, 19:37
Got into the parks at 'employee rate' by showing ID - not too obviously - and explaining thatw e couldn't use the freebie as we were still 'over there' when it was on.

Also got a free book at the airport by asking for mil discount, buy one get one free sort of deal.

Thankfully the US citizens support their forces, wish ours did to the same extent.

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
15th Aug 2005, 20:14
Hi There;

Saw the 'herosalute' thing but you need a US address. I'd rather find out before I go because if we cannot get any freebies, then a cut-price tourist deal is still better than paying the gate price...

Might buy the Universal tickets here and try my luck at SeaWorld...and if it works there, then I can chance the escapade to Busch...

Regards...SFS:rolleyes:

SirToppamHat
15th Aug 2005, 21:02
Thought of trying EBay?

I know it may sound a bit daft, but I recently spent couple of days at Alton Towers in a party of 9. I bought some 2 for 1 vouchers from Ebay and saved a load of dosh. I would think the same sort of thing is available on the US Site.

Edited to add

Just did a search:

Disney Tickets Orlando (http://search.ebay.co.uk/Disney-Tickets-Orlando_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8)

I would also try emailing them ... what's the worst that can happen?

The thing about the Service Discount Book I have found is that there are often better deals available to the general public if you know where to look.

STH

adr
15th Aug 2005, 21:23
It's worth knowing that some (if not most) of the cut-price ticket sellers in Florida are reselling unused portions of previous visitors' multiday tickets; and that some of the attractions are now losing patience with that practice, even to the extent of taking biometrics of visitors to link individual tickets to individual persons.

adr

Muppet Show
15th Aug 2005, 21:31
J Bloke, I think I read about it in the RAF Inflight magazine of all places (back of a VC10, rather bored); fairly certain it's the current edition (Summer 05). It said that Brits were included in the 'deal' and had to complete a short form at the gate. If you want to make sure, try and get your mits on a copy. Enjoy your hols! Rgds MS

MAD Boom
16th Aug 2005, 00:08
There is an ITT office in the Navy Exchange on Tradeport Drive (10 min drive from airport). By showing your UK military ID you can save about 10% on all the Disney/Universal/Busch/Kennedy attractions.

Not a massive saving but every little helps!

pilot watcher
17th Aug 2005, 12:32
Show your 1250 in any Hooters on a Tuesday and get 10% discount "As a thank you for the great job our troops are doin out there"
Its not much but pays half the tip. Downside is that the girls don't wear the traditional orange outfit that day, but a sort of camouflage hot pant/bra little number.......not bad!

propulike
17th Aug 2005, 12:39
Would it be this (http://www.hootersmagazine.com/images/hootersgirls/largemag/cover54.jpg) outfit by any chance?

:D

Overtorque
17th Aug 2005, 18:57
I've just got back from the States. Anheuser-Busch parks are definitely free for all military - that's Busch Gardens and Seaworld. There was even a separate ticket booth so we didn't need to queue. You can take up to about 5 dependents in with you. However we elected not to stand up at the 'Shamu' show, where all military were asked to stand so that they could be cheered!

At the Anheuser-Busch parks, your military ID also entitled you to 20% off all food in the park.

Davey Stott
17th Aug 2005, 19:25
Overtorque, seeing that brought back memories.

I went to Sea-World Florida a month after the September 11th attacks. During the Shamu show, all service personnel (And Coast Guard) were asked to stand and milk up the frenzied cheering, whoops, 'Hell Yeah's' and finally, the National anthem.

For some reason, this struck a nerve in myself and my grandfather (who served in WW2, RN, now RIP). We both stood up, looked at each other in disgust, and promptly walked out. It seemed so crass to us Brits.

Now the strange thing is, we used to love the Royal Tournament, which was a far, far greater willy waving display than the Shamu show will ever be.

It must be a pompous British thing, stiff upper lip and all that....

Two's in
18th Aug 2005, 02:50
It's worth asking anywhere in the US for a military discount - Hotels, Car Hire, restaurants etc. Get over being British about it, people here not only expect you to ask, they are genuinely pleased to offer you the discount. It might only be a couple of % but it's better than a poke in the eye... etc.

DS's mail about US patriotism is a common problem for Brit's over here - the news is that this is the US and they have a very different view on public displays of support for the services. Whatever your views on the Commander in Chief; as a nation, the US are 100% behind every serviceman and servicewomen and are proud to display that. Don't participate if it makes you feel unconforatable, but recognize it for what it is - genuine public support.

Ali Barber
18th Aug 2005, 04:28
Have to agree with the different way they treat their military and the way we think it is odd. 2 examples: Was in a shopping mall in northern Florida when a PA broadcast said there was a 25% discount for serving military personnel. We chanced our arm and asked if it was only US mil and was told they make no distinction (well before GW1/911/etc). Other was watching changing of the guard at Kennedy's grave. Sgt came out and told everyone this was a solemn event before the change of the guard, then the circus routine of bouncing and spinning rifles began. I couldn't keep a straight face and had to leave before I burst out laughing. No disrespect intended as I've heard the guards remained at their post during a hurricane despite being ordered to take cover. They just do things differently over there.

Check 6
20th Aug 2005, 20:21
Two's in is spot on. We Americans not only appreciate and respect our military members and veterans, but we also appreciate and respect the service members of our allied nations. This is especially true in Florida where my permanent home is located.

This definitely includes you Brits!

Thank you for your service!

:ok: :ok:

Check 6

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
21st Aug 2005, 09:42
Overtorque et al;

Thanks for the advice...

Will definately be going to SeaWorld...but had a reply back from Universal saying 'no discounts currently'.

I cannot get hold of a copy of the Brize mag..anyone scan the page or direct me to an on-line version???

Regards...SFS

PS Can't go to Hooters...she won't let me!!!

Dr Illitout
21st Aug 2005, 10:34
Just got back this morning from Orlando (get prioritys right, family in bed overcoming jet lag, me on PPRUNE!!). Seaworld was doing a "Hero salute" thing. Before the fish show there was a video saying that they were offering free entry to the park for U.S. forces and thier familys. The presenter of the fishy bit then added his thanks to both the U.S AND the U.K. armed forces.
I deffinatly think you should turn up with your dusty combats on, flash your pass and try and try to get a discount

Rgds Dr. I

Talking Radalt
21st Aug 2005, 11:31
Show your 1250 in any Hooters on a Tuesday and get 10% discount

In the Santa Monica TGIFridays-with-tits I "accidentally" let slip that I was military, adpoted my best Leslie Phillips/Pierce Brosnan/Prince Charles (delete as applicable) accent and got free beer all night! :O
The down side was I missed their annual "Miss Wet Hooters" contest by one day. :(

Roadster280
25th Aug 2005, 22:34
I can back up the claims about the US people being 100 percent behind their military. Some examples:

I travel a lot within the US, and the respect shown to those in uniform is immense. Often the FAs on the plane will ask for a round of applause for the militaries on the plane. Old boys coming up to the guys in uniform, shaking their hands. I watched agog as a guy walked into the smoking lounge in Atlanta, where there was at least a company of infantry (about 100 guys). He cleared his throat loudly, and then offered to buy a drink for every man in uniform. The captain informed him that they could not drink alcohol in uniform, but 100 cokes later, everyone was happy.

Just yesterday, I drove past a high school at about 3pm, kicking out time. The cadets, or ROTC etc were doing the flag lowering ceremony. Can you imagine that at the local Comprehensive in Carterton?

This is typical of this country, intensely patriotic, and not afraid to show it. It's just different from what we are used to in the UK.

Now when I read of little f***ers defacing war cemeteries and memorials etc, I would like to see what would happen to them here.

So, ask for the discount, you will be pleasantly surprised by the respect shown to you. Just don't tell them you are crabs ;-)

[Edited because being ex-army, I couldn't count how many examples I gave :-) ]

southside
25th Aug 2005, 23:04
From the Busch Gardens web site......

Anheuser-Busch is honored to salute the men and women of our armed forces and their families. Throughout 2005, members of the military and as many as three direct dependents may enter any one of Anheuser-Busch's SeaWorld, Busch Gardens or Sesame Place parks with a single-day complimentary admission.

For your service and sacrifice, we thank you

Now why can't I see Alton Towers doing that?

Check this Vid out as well (http://www.herosalute.com/cavatx/big_game_ad.html)

And its not just the Yanks. My Uncle lives in Sydney, Aus and whilst visiting him he took me to the Ex servicemens club where they have a 2 minute silence to fallen heroes....EVERY DAY !

We should be ashamed of ourselves.

BEagle
26th Aug 2005, 05:38
Perhaps a lot of the "Don't tell anyone you're in the mob" attitude started with the PIRA attacks from about 1969 onwards. At one stage we weren't even allowed to be seen in uniform off-base. I could never imagine that happening in the USA.

Two's in
26th Aug 2005, 21:03
BEagle is probably on to something - 30 years of not advertising you are in the mob leaves a bit of a legacy. Even after Gerry and Tone's big love-in, I'm sure people are still naturally suspicious of being too public in displaying their membership of HM Forces. As for the US, no such qualms over here. That said, after being your own family's anti-terrorist expert for 20 odd years and crawling around the car in German car parks to check you don't get a really loud banging noise when you turn the key, (still smile at the reactions on peoples faces when they realised they had parked next to a real live target) you can't help looking at all the Base Parking decals, the Military bumper stickers, the Military affiliated groups and wonder just how easy it would be if there was ever a US domestic version of "Pat and Mick play with plastique".

Jimlad
26th Aug 2005, 21:35
I know of at least one group of Mids who went ashore for a rig run in DC, only to have all their wine at dinner bought for them in recognition of the UKs contribution to the war on terror.

I always show my ID card in the USA and usually get some good discounts. If booking online accomodation then most major chains have an option for military rate. Just have your ID card and if possible NATO travel orders and you're laughing.

Also don't forget that Virgin do up to 25% discount on flights and BA do 10%.

BigGrecian
26th Aug 2005, 22:04
Also don't forget that Virgin do up to 25% discount on flights and BA do 10%.

I'm sure it goes without saying but - do check the ticket class as often when you ring and ask for the MOD fares the normal ticket will be cheaper and more flexible. Be careful! However, that said when there are the cheaper tickets the discount is normally good.

BEagle
27th Aug 2005, 05:44
The "Don't tell him you name, Pike!" syndrome of being low-key about your membership of the Armed Forces even extended to not using your entitled rank outside the Forces, for example in correspondence. Once upon a time, anyone who had left the military in the rank of Lt Cdr/Maj/Sqn Ldr or above, habitually used their titles in correspondence; nowadays that's quite rare and often viewed with suspicion. In any case, the Tippex Traceys and spotty digiyoofs of the world wouldn't have the faintest idea what a Sqn Ldr is - and certainly couldn't spell it!

A wider use of you rank in routine dealings with civilian filth might be a start, perhaps?

Years ago when I was a Plt Off, the old chap who was the ironmonger in the loal town who,in common with most, had done his bit in the Second World War, always addressed me as 'Pilot Officer' rather than 'Sir' - even when I was only 18!

Roadster280
27th Aug 2005, 12:39
The very notion of calling the lowest of the low "Sir" must have grated with the old boy like it does everyone else.

I think across all three services, a senior Lt, Fg Off or SLt is about the earliest you expect to command respect for you as a person, as opposed to for the rank. More commonly, Capt, Flt Lt or Lt.

You must all have come across the below scenario:

RSM/SWO etc.. "Sir, your boots are in **** order, sort them out."
Sprog Offr "I don't care for your tone RSM"
RSM "Shall we go and see the CO then Sir.."

I am horrified by the notion of being seen off camp in uniform, using military titles in correspondence etc. In my last posting, I lived off camp in my own house, as I knew I was leaving in a year or two. For whatever reason, I came home early one day to see a non descript white van with two dodgy looking blokes in it. 30 minutes later, they were still there. It was extremely "sus", so I called the plods, and explained. Minutes few had elapsed when an ARV comes screaming into my road, blues and twos, and forces the occupants of said van out, spreadeagled across the tarmac. Turns out they were waiting for their boss to come and pay them. I still don't think I was paranoid, it was just the kind of thing that was drilled into us. The police didnt disagree either, they just explained to the blokes why this had happened, and left in an equally spectacular manner.

I think the difference between the US and the UK is that a) I would have been armed in the US, and b) It wouldnt have been suspicious, because Paddy wouldnt have been trying to kill me on the sly.

Its all so close to home in the mob. JHQ NAAFI bombed (more than once), BP station at Wildenrath shooting, Roermond square shooting etc etc. When you live 10 mins away from these things, it makes you paranoid.

Still, these things don't happen here. Just idiots with assault rifles in schools and supermarket car parks.......

BEagle
27th Aug 2005, 14:00
"The very notion of calling the lowest of the low "Sir" must have grated with the old boy like it does everyone else."

Most certainly not. Back then, 'service' from a shopkeeper allowed the shopkeeper considerable pride; there was no "Yes, mate", "Yeah?" or other such behaviour. Nothing to do with so-called 'class standards', everything to do with good manners and politeness.

If the SWO had told me that my boots were in '**** order', I would have said "Thank you, Mr ****, I shall sort them out right away!"

Even our sqn Eng WO (of the old school) would sometimes say to people (and Sqn Ldrs weren't immune from his eye!) things like "They've got some more polish in at the BX" to people with grubby boots at Incirlik.

The skilled, 'right word for the occasion' comment from an old time WO is probably yet another dying feature of today's RAF....

Roadster280
27th Aug 2005, 18:13
BEagle, I wasn't having a go at you personally. I take your point about the desire to show service on the part of the Ironmonger, but my point is that he addressed you by your rank, thus avoiding the need to say "sir". Maybe I misconstrued your original point. It has always been my experience that those straight from Sandhurst/Cranwell/Dartmouth are either smart enough to keep quiet and play the game, or stupid and gobby, and learn the hard way.

Sounds like you are in the first group!

I suspect the reason why the WO's words of advice appear to be a dying art are that there are fewer of them. Like all 3 services, the RAF is contracting in size. Added to that the reduction in NCO Aircrew trades, there will always be fewer WOs in the end. But most of all, if the RAF is like the Army, the pay rates are insufficient to retain skilled people. I left the Army as a technician Sgt four years ago after 10 years' service. I'd have to be a major now to earn the same money. I joined for the right reasons at the time (service, duty etc), and left for the right reasons at the time (prospects, settled life). I don't regret either action for a picosecond.

Anyway, straying off topic here somewhat.

Come and fly the flag here and claim your discounts and the tons of respect. Most of all from me.

Clockwork Mouse
27th Aug 2005, 22:07
Would a senior citizen retired pongo with 34 years service qualify for any freebies? On the breadline so just asking.
CM

Two's in
28th Aug 2005, 01:34
It's always worth asking for a government rate in American hotels, as these are based on the published Per Diem and usually knowing enough to ask for it seems to be the qualifier for receiving it. Less useful in Florida, where rates are cheap and deals are plenty, but 'oop Narth' in DC and NY government rates can save you a fortune.

Also worth remembering that the AA (the driving club, not the drinking club) is affiliated to the American Automobile Association and asking most places for a "triple A" rate will get you a deal, don't usually need your membership card either, as again, knowing enough to ask for it seems to be the qualifier for receiving it.

Golden rule is never, ever pay the rate they offer you (called the rack rate), even if you walk in off the street. If you ask for Government, AAA, Senior Discount, or any specials, they will try to accomodate you. Just say straight out ' I don't want to pay that much, what do you have?' - It's expected (although clearly not British).

buoy15
28th Aug 2005, 02:24
Ah! America, Yes!

Lovely place in some places if your in the military

Front of the queue in hospitals and BX's

Half price drinks in most Country Saloons

Free entry to County Fairs (half price for guests)

Special rates at all Golf Courses, Night Clubs and local events

Genuine interest in you and what you've done

Let you keep your watch and replace your ID card with a Veterans card so you continue to use all facilities after retirement

No need for a 15 page security application every year to get a station pass to use the Driving Range

Different planet - love it ! UK has become a bit of a S*ithole

Then again, I must remember what our valiant leader and PM recently said, quite publicly and openly

"I have no nostalgia for by-gone eras" as he attempted to scrap the office of Lord Chancellor which has been around for about 600 years

Love many, Trust a few, Always paddle you own canoe !!