PDA

View Full Version : F16's scrambled for crashed airliner

Stitchbitch
14th Aug 2005, 12:05
F16s (greek presumably) were scrambled to intercept a 737 flying from Cyprus to Prauge. The F16 pilots reported seeing the co-pilot slumped over the controls and the captain missing from the flight deck,they also reported seeing drop down oxy masks in the cabin. Aircraft crashed a littlewhile later 5 miles from Athens. My sympathies to the Families involved.

Neeps
15th Aug 2005, 10:38
Saw it on the news last night. What a shame. :(

Navaleye
15th Aug 2005, 16:13
Yes what a disaster. Smells like some maintenance problem. Condolances to the the families of everyone on board.

Onan the Clumsy
16th Aug 2005, 00:27
Well that explains the reports of "slumped over" I heard on the news. I had wondered where that had come from.

iccarus
17th Aug 2005, 11:15
Does anyone know what actually brought the plane down?
It was obviously on autopilot since it was flying for some time after being intercepted!
It obviously had enough fuel to get towards its destination of athens.
It was reported by the intercepting aircraft that no-one was at the controls( with the aircraft heading towards the nations capitol city)
Without trying to start some sort of conspiracy theory, is it possible that the greek F 16's may have had some involvement?

ORAC
17th Aug 2005, 11:27
Local reports had them flying formation with it until just a few seconds before impact. Looks like it just flew the missed approach hold till it ran out of fuel then just glided down till it crashed.

LuckyBreak
17th Aug 2005, 14:20
Not being funny, but shouldn't you get

a)cabin low pressure warning caption
b)oxy masks falling from the ceiling
c)pilots trained on symptoms of hypoxia

?

KC-10 Driver
17th Aug 2005, 14:34
Very long discussion (30+ pages) of this topic in another thread...

Here (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185849)