PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Performance books

redstar
13th Aug 2005, 17:17
Can anyone recommend any decent Aircraft Performance books that take the ATPL study a step further?

rgds

redstar

Alex Whittingham
13th Aug 2005, 19:18
Aircraft Performance, Theory and Practice - Martin Eshelby (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/034075897X/qid=1123960631/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0314453-0286879)

An excellent work, unpolluted by the fixations of the CAA and JAA examiners.

redstar
14th Aug 2005, 20:41
Thanks for the link - much appreciated.

Can anyone offer an opinion on how the above book rates compared to Swatton's "Aircraft Performance Theory for Pilots"?

ta

redstar

Genghis the Engineer
14th Aug 2005, 21:03
They are both excellent books, but trying to achieve rather different things.

Simplistically, Swatton is summarising the regulations and their applications in reality as a professional pilot or a planning engineer needs to understand them. It does this extremely well.

Eshelby on the other hand is not really writing a book (in my opinion) for pilots, but for Engineers. If you have a deeply (A-level +) mathematical bent and are fascinated by how the various mechanisms work (or need to derive aircraft performance data from basic data or principles on a regular basis) then this is the book for you.

I'd say they're the two of the best books on my shelf concerning aircraft performance (far from the only ones I should say) but aimed at different audiences.

(My other favourite by the way is "Introduction to aircraft performance, selection and design" by Francis Hale, but it's out of print I think, and aimed at a third audience - those doing design studies for new or modified aeroplanes.

G