PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is Line Training?

Callsign Kilo
12th Aug 2005, 18:52
Hey guys

Sorry if I am asking something that has been asked before, however I am keen to know what line training on type involves?

I know it follows a type rating, however is it company specific? For example does the 100 hrs line training that Bond Aviation offer on their 737's exempt you from the cost of further line training if you were to get a job with the likes of Ryanair after your training??

Thanks in advance

Fly GBAirways
12th Aug 2005, 18:55
I watched an Airtours A330 video and the co-pilot was line training, its were you fly for the first time on a type on a full flight, probably flying with an experienced captain on full commercial flights learning the ropes... Hope i answered your question a little.

Callsign Kilo
12th Aug 2005, 19:01
Thanks FlyGB

However I wonder is the Line training only specific to that operator i.e Airtours or once you are trained on line/type ie the A330, can you walk into a job with another operator without having to undergo the cost/time of say another 100 hours line training with your new employer??

Malcolm G O Payne
12th Aug 2005, 21:57
It is quite likely that you have to undergo full line training with your new employer to ensure that you operate to their procedures.

broottmeenoo
13th Aug 2005, 00:06
Line training is specific to the airline you fly at the moment.
It's pretty much the same procedures anyway, company to company, but it has to be a specific entry in each company records.
My question: why paying for a line training?
You are an employee at this point....

ALV2500
13th Aug 2005, 03:04
Callsign,

Remember most airlines have more than one type of aircraft. Everytime you transition from one type to another you will undergo line training. Also if you upgrade to the left seat you would then fly with a line training Captain or Check airman as they are called in the US.
As previously mentioned, most airlines procedures are similar but company data like operations manuals, weight and balance forms, runway analysis books, quick reference handbooks, performance charts and TOLD cards etc may be presented differently.
The most challenging line training you will do is in your first airline job. After that it's pretty much more of the same, kinda.

AL

Megaton
13th Aug 2005, 04:55
My current employer stipulates 40 sectors of line training. In sim trg for type you spend most of your time covering emergencies. In line trg you learn how the aircraft is operated on a day-day basis. At the end of this phase is the Final Line Check in which we have to prove we can fly the aircraft on our own in the event of pilot incapacitation. BTW these 40 sectors were completed in 12 days!