PDA

View Full Version : Email dilema

Splat
9th Aug 2005, 12:23
Hello,

I wonder if any Email experts could give me an answer to the following.

I have a client in Spain, to whome all mails I send get rejected. The reason is that my ISP, plusnet, is on a blacklist held at DSBL.org. The reason they tell me is because they use multi hop (whatever that is) and are listed there because of that.

Now the recipient of my mail who uses an email provider www.ipowerweb.com checks this list and because plusnet is on it, rejects the mail as spam. Plusnet tell me they should not do this, but use dsbl as part of the points scoring system to determine if a mail is spam, but not as a definative spam assessment.

Ipowerweb say that I should get plusnet to be delisted. Plusnet say they have tried, but keep getting reinstated.

Ppruners, can anyone advise me? I'm caught in the middle. Who should I lean on to get their position changed?

I obviously have the option to change providers, and if so can anyone recomend one that is an unlimited ADSL 2MB.

Cheers

Splat

egbt
9th Aug 2005, 14:22
one way is to get a (free) e-mail account from elsewhere - prefereably one that supports POP3 (eg Yahoo) and access though your existing ISP connection.

The "multi hop" method refered to is probably an "open mail relay" often used by hackers and spam merchants to hide their identity and is banned or restricted by many ISP's

regards

Splat
9th Aug 2005, 14:33
Thanks for that.

Obviusly I have such accounts, but it's a pain when someone sends you a mail and you cannot reply to it other than send it to a yahoo account and then reply.

Cheers

Splat

IO540
9th Aug 2005, 20:07
It is highly unlikely that Plusnet is running an open mail relay. Everybody with one of those gets blacklisted pretty fast, and Plusnet is a big ISP.

I've known big ISPs get blacklisted but they always sorted it out very quickly. Yahoo have often blacklisted ISPs and the ISP had to sort that out pretty fast!

From what you say I'd suggest the problem is your customer's ISP. Nowadays, literally anybody can be an ISP. For about £10k/year I could get a 2meg DSL line to my spare bedroom and run a server in there.

uid0
10th Aug 2005, 04:30
it's a pain when someone sends you a mail and you cannot reply to it other than send it to a yahoo account and then reply.

I think what u need is another SMTP server that is not blacklisted. there was a posting here, a few months back, on SMTP accounts.