PDA

View Full Version : Lost work Aaaaaagh!

Loose rivets
9th Aug 2005, 01:24
Tired and full of pills, I finally did the unthinkable. After a break I went back to the word processor and restarted the top file on the index. Bad mistake, it was the one I had just backed up to…and then tested cos I’m so conscientious.

This meant that I was working from my Sony ‘micro-vault’ USB device without noticing. Well that’s okay until I backed up from the HD on top of the file in the Micro vault.

On a hard drive, one can use lots of tricks to get data back. So does anyone know if there are similar ways to retrieve data from a solid state USB ‘drive’? LR

Memetic
10th Aug 2005, 17:29
I'm not sure about getting it abck off the USB stick, but have you tried looking for the tempoary files created by the wordprocessor? They may still be hanging around on the hard drive or the stick.

Loose rivets
10th Aug 2005, 20:42
With a new gusto, I'll look for tmps etc. thanks.

FJJP
11th Aug 2005, 22:05
If you've been using Word, you can find the location of the 'autorecover' files very easily.

Go to 'Tools', 'Options' and click on the 'File Locations' tab. Under 'File Types' you should see 'Autorecover Files'. Alongside that, under 'Location', you will find the exact location of those files. You can then open the file and 'Save As' to wherever you want.

Mind you, that depends on the autosave settings, found under the 'Save' tab in Options. [My autosave interval is set to 5 mins - you don't see it happening!]

Best of luck!

FJJP