PDA

View Full Version : Apache[s] over London?

PurePax
8th Aug 2005, 16:53
I think the subject says it all....

Southwark/Borough area, 18:00 BST

Now where can I get a cab quick-smart?

Spitoon
8th Aug 2005, 17:25
I take it we're not talking Pipers here?

PurePax
8th Aug 2005, 17:34
.. the matt-green, rotary-wing, fire-breathing variety ...

I only saw one at a time, but unless they have those new fangled warp-drive thingys then there were 2.

Low (500ft-ish), creaping along heading south with lots of pointy, function-over-form, attachments hanging from the winglets [or whatever they're called]

diginagain
8th Aug 2005, 18:33
Just the Boys goin' Downtown.:E

CAC Runaway
8th Aug 2005, 19:54
They must have those new fangled warp drives if you saw them at 1800 BST and posted the spotted at 1650 BST!! So you didn't see me last week through the lanes then (2x Apaches)?

Large Dave
9th Aug 2005, 08:04
My City Slicker mate reckons he saw 2 over Euston a couple of weeks ago. Gave him a bit of a fright given that the Station was closed on a Sy alert at the time. I don't know why he was worried- thought you guys couldn't actually fire your weapons without the debris ruining the tail rotar. Poor little Apache. ;)

Dave

crab beefer
11th Aug 2005, 23:11
From what I have heard the tail rotor issue is fixed and was media hype anyway.
The Apache is awesome and how do you know they were not patrolling London on alert? Stranger things have happened.
I hear the UK training Sqn (673/672?) might be given some form of UK SF supprot role like RN Seaking training Sqn as they have a lot of the expertise.:ok:

MaroonMan4
12th Aug 2005, 17:09
So what experience is that then Crabbo - tactical circuits and bumps at Keevil or the ever so demanding night routes through SPTA?

Although not currently in a position to take on any operational roles from the Field Army (none of the AH Trg Sqn QHIs although very good at their 'sticks and poles' and all experienced generally in Avn operations have been through CTR/CR trg, and not many have tactical related adquals (what would you prefer on Ops a QFI or QWI?)) there is undoubtedly a very strong argument that in the near future when the Trg Sqn starts to re-cycle ex Field Army QHIs/QHTIs/ACTIs/AH WIs etc etc then just as an Operational role is fulfilled by the Sea King Trg Sqn, there is sound mileage in removing the capability back to Wallop and double hatting the AH Trg Sqn (I think it is 673 or AHTU and not 672...but I could be wrong)

As we all know military tasks versus number of aircraft versus number of qualified crews versus physical time away of personnel will soon force the issue as the numbers just do not add up.

In the mean time, until DAAvn refuses to accept an OCU/OEU concept (and JHC currently doesn't press the issue) then the Field Army will just have to stag on and do the best they can 'spreading the jam even thinner'.

Ultimately this will result in either all the lads and lasses (of all ranks) being ragged rotten to cover all of the commitments (16 Air Asslt Bde, Fishead and Ssssh!) or things being cuffed fantastic and short cuts taken to create an impression of providing a capability.

4 months, 12 days and 18 hours - hey what do I care!

:ok:

ase engineer
12th Aug 2005, 20:33
"From what I have heard the tail rotor issue is fixed and was media hype anyway"

Absolutely correct. A bunch of them have been fired now, all without incident.

Harrumph

BossEyed
12th Aug 2005, 22:47
A bunch of them have been fired now
Wot? Meeja types fired?

About time too.