PDA

View Full Version : Starting from scratch...

Merritt
8th Aug 2005, 15:57
Guys,

Apologies for the sort of thread I imagine you see on a regular basis but I need some impartial advice...

I am currently 28years old (29 next week) and seriously considering a change of career and pursuing my dreams of becoming a commercial airline pilot. I realise that due to my age, time is against me if I intend to follow this path.

I have looked at a number of approaches including self funding & the CTC training program... I have come to the conclusion that self funding will probably be better for my circumstances as I understand few airlines are prepared to take on cadets at my lofty age. I also don't like the idea of being tied to a particular airline (to the tune of £60k) before I even have the qualifications and then be stuck on a compromised salary for 7 years because the airline have me over a barrel.

I have seen various (read HUGE) figures for self funding but what can I expect it to cost from where I am now (no training or experience) to sitting in the cockpit of a commercial airliner? Is it possible to get all the training / exams etc cheaper by taking a modular approach i.e. if I start off by getting a PPL & go from there? If so - what sort of total cost can expect including type rating?

My other basis for considering a modular approach is that I have a house and wife with bills to consider! My other half does work full time so if necessary I probably could undertake an integrated course but I don't think I would be very popular.

I don't want the financials to stand in my way of this but the more I look into it, the less promising it becomes.

All advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve M

cosworth211
8th Aug 2005, 17:34
From what I've read on here countless times age becomes more of an issue as you approach mid thirties.... (waiting to be corrected) :O

Send Clowns
8th Aug 2005, 18:02
Expect modular costs around £40,000 upwards, minimum hours at every stage (i.e. have a contingency fund!) but all flown in the UK. Includes VAT, landings and fees to the CAA (surprisingly high ... sorry that should be extortionate). Some saving flying parts abroad, but often lost through remedial training at CPL stage, so be wary of where you fly and not picking up poor flying habits.

David_Lid Air
9th Aug 2005, 16:34
Your age isn´t a problem.. one of my friends is 45 and he was done with his ATPL theory about 5 months ago and he was hired just a week ago by a regional here in Sweden just after he was done with the Multi eng training, ok he has flown single engine alot but still he is training to become a Captain now =)

I´m currently in the end of the ATPL stage. Doing my training at a school here in sweden that does train people from scratch to the requirements needed to be hired by an airline.. but still you just come out with about 210hrs so when you come out it is not very easy to look attractive to the airlines

But if you really want something and dont give up i bet you will sit in the left seat someday =)

My training costs me approx 70 000 euros. not cheap but i dont know the prices in other parts of the world

Good luck